What religion do you affiliate with? (POLL)

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

What religion do you affiliate with?
Christianity 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
Islam 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Atheist 32%  32%  [ 16 ]
Agnostic 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
Buddhism 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Hinduism 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Other(Write in) 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 50

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 6:33 pm

AJisHere wrote:
I am too old for fairytales. Not going to knock anyone for believing, but it seems a bit silly to me.

I agree with you. I think for most people being an atheist would be too hard. You have too think harder about morals. You have no religion to teach what to think.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 7:22 pm

I don't religion.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 12:23 am

Quote:
Atheist here. But I'm fascinated by Buddhism.

Buddhist here. And it is fascinating. But what people don't often understand about Buddhism is there are many differing traditions, all of them subscribing to different interpretations and beliefs. There is not necessarily just one sort of Buddhism.
Quote:
I think for most people being an atheist would be too hard. You have too think harder about morals. You have no religion to teach what to think.

I don't entirely agree - many religious people do think a great deal about their morals, and how to enact those morals in the world - often one completely opposed to good ethics. Religions can teach certain moralities, but it is up to the individual in their own constant differing circumstances to navigate how to live that morality, and constantly question its validity in response to experience.
Many atheists I have met are material nihilists - and that seems the easy way out to me at times.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 3:32 am

BettaPonic wrote:
AJisHere wrote:
I am too old for fairytales. Not going to knock anyone for believing, but it seems a bit silly to me.

I agree with you. I think for most people being an atheist would be too hard. You have too think harder about morals. You have no religion to teach what to think.

Going from religious to atheist is a slow process, but not actually that hard (I did it, I know). You still have a sense of right or wrong, it just isn't tied to the tenets of a religion anymore. I am not worried about what God thinks, because I do not believe any god exists. I do what I believe is right based on the philosophies I have chosen to adhere to.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 3:39 am

C2V wrote:
But what people don't often understand about Buddhism is there are many differing traditions, all of them subscribing to different interpretations and beliefs. There is not necessarily just one sort of Buddhism.

Ah, that's an interesting piece of trivia. Never knew that before. :D

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 3:48 am

I don't religion either. However, I like some of the religious symbols cause they're actually quite aesthetically pleasing. Wiccan pentagram, Satanic pentagram, Sulfur/Leviathan cross, cross of St Peter, to name a few. I just think it's a bonus that they have some deep historical meaning.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 7:16 am

C2V wrote:
Quote:
Atheist here. But I'm fascinated by Buddhism.

Buddhist here. And it is fascinating. But what people don't often understand about Buddhism is there are many differing traditions, all of them subscribing to different interpretations and beliefs. There is not necessarily just one sort of Buddhism.
Quote:
I think for most people being an atheist would be too hard. You have too think harder about morals. You have no religion to teach what to think.

I don't entirely agree - many religious people do think a great deal about their morals, and how to enact those morals in the world - often one completely opposed to good ethics. Religions can teach certain moralities, but it is up to the individual in their own constant differing circumstances to navigate how to live that morality, and constantly question its validity in response to experience.
Many atheists I have met are material nihilists - and that seems the easy way out to me at times.

I more meant atheists for the most part have no text for morals. I agree that religious people think about morals.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2017, 7:53 am

Polytheist pagan witch (not Wiccan). :)

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 11:55 am

BettaPonic wrote:
I more meant atheists for the most part have no text for morals. I agree that religious people think about morals.

We do; many philosophers have explored morality through the centuries. Also, being an atheist does not mean you can't draw inspiration from religion when figuring out your morals.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 1:44 pm

AJisHere wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

We do; many philosophers have explored morality through the centuries. Also, being an atheist does not mean you can't draw inspiration from religion when figuring out your morals.

I am more saying that there is no sacred text.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 2:23 pm

BettaPonic wrote:

Sure, you're right about that. I don't see why that really makes a difference though when there are other things that can easily serve the same purpose. I might be confused about the point you're trying to make here.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 2:26 pm

I worship Satan 8O

Actually... I don't religion is probably more accurate :|

I want to and I know who I am praying to when I go to die but my expectations is zero at this point.

If an extremely powerful God wanted to save the world, he would have done so :cry:

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 2:34 pm

whatamievendoing wrote:
C2V wrote:
But what people don't often understand about Buddhism is there are many differing traditions, all of them subscribing to different interpretations and beliefs. There is not necessarily just one sort of Buddhism.

Ah, that's an interesting piece of trivia. Never knew that before. :D

A large part of Buddhism's success as a religion is its ability to adapt itself to new cultures. The central tenets of the faith remain consistent across borders, but practices and interpretations have differed as needed. When it went to China, Buddhism adapted to work well for Chinese culture. It did the same for Thais in Thailand, or Tibetans in Tibet.

SacredSilence
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Mar 2017, 3:18 pm

Raised Roman Catholic, to age 18. Unaffiliated Christian 18-22. Rabid conservative evangelical Calvary Chapel attendee age 22-27. December 2014 was my last church service. The reasons for my departure from Christianity are difficult to articulate. You could call me a borderline agnostic green party member, who believes Jesus gave us pretty good advice for treating one another, with a tenuous grip on belief in the divine.

When it comes to religion, I say live and let live. Believe whatever you want, but don't try to force a moral code on those who do not adhere to your religion. If I want to smoke weed, and also believe in Jesus, thats my business.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 3:35 pm

AJisHere wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

Sure, you're right about that. I don't see why that really makes a difference though when there are other things that can easily serve the same purpose. I might be confused about the point you're trying to make here.

I mean a book that has all the ansers to life problems and is divinely inspired.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 7:51 pm

BettaPonic wrote:

I mean a book that has all the ansers to life problems and is divinely inspired.[/quote]

We have established this, but that's more or less a tautology or rather it is akin to saying that water is wet. I'm trying to figure out what point you're trying to make, now.