Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

gremlin1011
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2015, 8:23 pm

ever had a waterproof mattress cover.......................?

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 10:39 pm

Hi!

No. Would all the sweat accumulate rather than be absorbed into the fabric? Doesn't sound very comfortable. But that must be easy to clean.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 4:16 am

I have to use a plastic sheet underneath my active mattress cooling pad so that whatever condensate develops doesn't leak down into the mattress below.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 4:42 am

I have stayed as a youth hostel with a waterproof mattress before. It was more a thin piece of really shiny, really slippery plastic. The sheets just slipped off of it and in the end I gave up and just slept directly on it. Was as uncomfortable as it sounds.

As to your question, my bed has a "mattress protector" on it. What that does I have no idea. Might be waterproof to an extent, I have no idea. Just gets washed occasionally, guess it's because mattresses can't get cleaned so would get dirty over time. I don't know, really.

And jk1, they go underneath the sheets and sweat probably accumulates in them as opposed to the mattress which cannot be cleaned. So they need washing occasionally but it does save the mattress from all the sweat and stuff. :)

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 10:02 am

iliketrees wrote:
I have stayed as a youth hostel with a waterproof mattress before. It was more a thin piece of really shiny, really slippery plastic. The sheets just slipped off of it and in the end I gave up and just slept directly on it. Was as uncomfortable as it sounds.

As to your question, my bed has a "mattress protector" on it. What that does I have no idea. Might be waterproof to an extent, I have no idea. Just gets washed occasionally, guess it's because mattresses can't get cleaned so would get dirty over time. I don't know, really.

And jk1, they go underneath the sheets and sweat probably accumulates in them as opposed to the mattress which cannot be cleaned. So they need washing occasionally but it does save the mattress from all the sweat and stuff. :)

Hi! A mattress cover also protects the mattress and gives a little more cushion to it. I haven't used a plastic cover, and it sounds like I haven't missed anything.