Need help to identify the name of an old toy

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 5:59 pm

Okay, so back in 1982 my friend Jeremy ( Jez ) and I, bought these strange things from a really cheap shop in town, and I've never come across one since.

Now I'm fairly sure that they're not that rare, despite the fact that I haven't seen one since, and I'm hoping that somebody on here can tell me what they are called. Then I can hopefully buy another one.

It was made of rubber and full of water, and it was kind of sausage shaped. But it kind of infinitely folded-in on itself, so that when you held it vertically, perpendicular to the floor, it would constantly fall through your grip, due to a combination of its water weight and constantly folding-in on itself.

It would be great if I could buy a few to just fiddle around with. I learned that I will need more than one, as a bus driver dropped my old one and it sprung a leak! That was the end of that. They aren't particularly robust.

Anyway, I would be grateful if anyone knows what they are called.

Thanks.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 6:28 pm

Ah, yes. Back in the early 80's. We called them "water weenies," but I don't remember if that was a brand name.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 6:34 pm

I think they are called "water wigglies." My brother used to joke around with them by making them go up and down in his hand lol. It made it look like you were jacking off.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 6:43 pm

Lmao

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 6:52 pm

They reminded me of Like Likes from Zelda.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 7:03 pm

Well you lot certainly didn't disappoint.

These are definitely the right things. I thought that I would have to draw a picture, but no, the description seems to have done the trick.

I'll see if I can track some down locally, if not, I'll surely get some online.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 7:08 pm

This_Amoeba wrote:
Lmao

Good grief! Somebody must be just looking to find everything offensive.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 7:15 pm

MirrorWars wrote:
This_Amoeba wrote:
Lmao

Good grief! Somebody must be just looking to find everything offensive.

Well to be fair, they kind of remind me of said action. No doubt it's the same for many others.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 4:30 am

They do, but wouldn't you think that once somebody had explained what they really are and how they work, that somebody would just hold their hands up and say "fair enough, I stand corrected".

Incidentally, the one that I had in '82 was a solid orange colour, with no transparency. I'm wondering if these shiny ones will move as well as that one did.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 5:19 pm

I remember my mom bringing home two of these for my brother for a surprise when we were kids. I think they were called "Mr. Wiggle" and they were an orange color, with a picture of a cartoon man's face printed on them.

I can almost hear the moral guardians flipping out over the phallic name and appearance of this child's toy. :roll:

I've seen newer of them in dollar stores where they're usually transparent and have glitter or little plastic things floating by hand. There's probably a way to make one by hand using those sausage shaped balloons as well.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 12:48 am

My sister had one of those 30 years ago. It had the face on it. We took turns playing with it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 May 2017, 2:09 am

MirrorWars wrote:
They do, but wouldn't you think that once somebody had explained what they really are and how they work, that somebody would just hold their hands up and say "fair enough, I stand corrected".
I can understand why the school would have issues with em if kids were simulating something causing a disruption in class. However the girl should of gotten a warning & had her parents notified at the very most. A suspension for a toy seems very unwarranted unless she was simulating something with it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 4:53 pm

They were hard to hold onto because they kept slipping out of your hand, so they could be kind of frustrating. :)
I remember the Mr. Wiggle toys my brother and I got coming in these colorful packages with instructions on different "games" you could play with the toy, and of course a warning not to squeeze it too hard. Since they looked exactly the same I think my brother and I wrote our names on them with markers.

Of course everything can be sexualized now. I still remember back in maybe the late 90's early 2000's when kids started wearing those harmless-looking little gel bracelets but they made up some kind of color-code with them that supposedly showed how many boys you had slept with or something stupid like that. :roll:

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 10:35 am

I still haven't bought a new one, but I will do.