Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 8:27 am

Everybody must have heard about the horrible incident in Vegas. I just hope that the news media is careful about what they say about the assailant and that they use discretion about his diagnoses - if any. I don't like it when they blast "Asperger's Disorder" because sociopathy/psychosis is clearly NOT the same. Just because my son told off a teacher who told him that you have to be smart to attend college, the police were alerted and I had to allow them to search my home for guns. Well, there were no guns and he's doing fantastic in college not because he's smart but because he works his tail off!! A lot of people are smart and do horrific things. Parents: ask your aspie youngsters a lot of questions about how they're treated at school and what they've been told about their work. Don't assume all teachers are wonderful. Some really shouldn't be teaching- some do a lot of psychological damage. 8O Somehow we survived the public school system. My kid's confidence and mental health are intact.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 2:10 pm

Right galaxy

What did the police and the instructor tell you about the time your son told off an instructor?

Can you be completely sure your son did not violate the Mandated Reporter Law?

The whole thing sounds peculiar to me....

When I was 16, in French 3. Eighteen years ago. In CA. Public school

The teacher had the nerve to send me to the school psychologist, because the essay that I wrote violated the Mandated Reporter Law. (At the time I did not know that)

And I had to waste three sessions with a school psychologist.

But nobody searched my house

No search warrant

No arrest warrant

No 5150

No 911

But maybe, the city you live in has a different policy. And it is a different decade.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 2:21 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
Just because my son told off a teacher who told him that you have to be smart to attend college, the police were alerted and I had to allow them to search my home for guns.

I find that very hard to believe.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 4:15 pm

Chichikov wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:
Just because my son told off a teacher who told him that you have to be smart to attend college, the police were alerted and I had to allow them to search my home for guns.

I find that very hard to believe.

I unfortunately find that all to easy to believe.

10-year-old autistic boy arrested on school grounds for kicking educator

Criminalizing Children at School

Schools Are Criminalizing Children with Autism, and the Reason Is Concerning
Quote:
Far too often, children with special needs are treated like criminals when they act out at school and are subjected to harsh and unnecessary punishments. Research indicates that more than 70,000 students with disabilities were restrained or secluded in 2013 – 2014, and about 25 percent of students who are placed under arrest at school have a disability. This is especially prevalent among students of color.

The issue is a complex one. But the core of the problem seems to be that challenging behaviors among autistic students are seen as naughtiness or defiance rather than what they really are—a form of communication and/or a reaction to stress or panic. This can happen even when a child already has a behavioral plan or IEP of some sort; for whatever reason, those plans do not always get followed.

Let’s say, for example, a child on the spectrum gets overwhelmed during class—the lights are too bright, his peers are too loud…there’s just too much going on for him to handle. As a result of this stress, the child’s fight or flight mechanisms kick in, and he may get violent or try to escape. Teachers or other authorities at the school may not recognize this—they only see the behavior, which they perceive as “naughty.” Rather than working to de-escalate the situation, as they should, the teacher or authority may react by punishing the child. And that, of course, could make things even worse for a child who is already hyped up on adrenaline and panic. School resource officers may even get involved and put him under arrest.

The issue is a complex one. But the core of the problem seems to be that challenging behaviors among autistic students are seen as naughtiness or defiance rather than what they really are—a form of communication and/or a reaction to stress or panic. This can happen even when a child already has a behavioral plan or IEP of some sort; for whatever reason, those plans do not always get followed.

Let’s say, for example, a child on the spectrum gets overwhelmed during class—the lights are too bright, his peers are too loud…there’s just too much going on for him to handle. As a result of this stress, the child’s fight or flight mechanisms kick in, and he may get violent or try to escape. Teachers or other authorities at the school may not recognize this—they only see the behavior, which they perceive as “naughty.” Rather than working to de-escalate the situation, as they should, the teacher or authority may react by punishing the child. And that, of course, could make things even worse for a child who is already hyped up on adrenaline and panic. School resource officers may even get involved and put him under arrest.

Kids in Cuffs: Why Handcuff a Student With a Disability
Quote:
Due in part to tragic school shootings like the Columbine massacre, police and security officers are now a regular presence at schools.

NBC News crunched the numbers from the 2013-2014 school year, the most recent data available. The analysis found that nationally, black students, like Kalyb, and students with disabilities are suspended, expelled, arrested and referred to police at rates disproportionately higher than their white and non-disabled peers.

Examinations of police and court records also found that law enforcement became involved with students for minor discipline issues.

I think what you’re seeing is data across the country to say that instances like [these] are not anomalies," Hutchinson
added.

Forty-three percent of public schools in the United States now have some kind of security personnel present at school at least once a week. Districts employ school resource officers with a variety of backgrounds — sometimes off-duty or retired police officers. Districts also employ school security personnel who are not sworn law enforcement officers, like the one who handcuffed Kalyb Wiley-Primm.

During the 2013-2014 school year, schools reported 65,150 school-based arrests of students. Students were referred to law enforcement more than 200,000 times. The Education Department defines a "referral" as anytime a student is reported to any law enforcement agency or official for a school-based incident, regardless of whether official action is taken.

According to the data, nationally:

· Black students are 2.9 times more likely to be arrested while at school than all non-black students;

· Black students without a disability are 3.49 times more likely to be arrested at school than white students without a disability;

· Black students without a disability are 2.25 times more likely to be referred to law enforcement while at school than white students without a disability;

· Students with disabilities are 2.96 times more likely to be arrested while at school than students without disabilities;

· Students with disabilities are 2.91 times more likely to be referred to law enforcement while at school than students without disabilities;

· Black students with disabilities are 2.80 times more likely to be arrested while at school than white students with disabilities;

Lisa Caruso, 37, remembers when the principal at Pirtle Elementary in Belton, Texas, told her that the school resource officer handcuffed her eight-year-old son, Ethan.

Last year, Caruso and her husband were called to school after an incident that began in the lunchroom. Ethan, who has a peanut allergy, said other students began pushing a tray they said was covered in peanut butter over to him. Surveillance video of the lunchroom shows Ethan pushing the tray away from him and lifting up a chair. A lunch aide temporarily restrained Ethan, and then picked him up and carried him out of the lunchroom.

“I don't wanna go to jail.”
Body-cam footage revealed what happened next. Administrators called the school resource officer, and Ethan was handcuffed. In the video, administrators say that Ethan threw books and chairs.

According to an NBC analysis of the federal data, students with disabilities are 23 times more likely than their non-disabled peers to be subjected to mechanical restraint.

NBC News found that students have been charged with crimes like assault for getting frustrated and pushing past a teacher, or battery for getting in a schoolyard fight.

Or in the case of 15-year-old Ryan Turk, theft for taking a 65-cent carton of milk from the cafeteria.

Home of the scared, land of the police state

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 4:36 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Those articles are about kids being arrested in school for committing violent offenses. I never questioned that someone would be arrested for comitting a crime in school, I questioned that the police would go and search someone's house for guns just because their child back-talked a teacher. I wish the police here had such infinite resources that every time a kid is cheeky in class a house search is carried out.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 4:58 pm

Chichikov wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Those articles are about kids being arrested in school for committing violent offenses. I never questioned that someone would be arrested for comitting a crime in school, I questioned that the police would go and search someone's house for guns just because their child back-talked a teacher. I wish the police here had such infinite resources that every time a kid is cheeky in class a house search is carried out.

The article mentioned kids getting arrested for schoolyard fights and pushing a teacher, not equivalent to violent crime. And we do not know what the teacher accused Rightgalaxie's kid of doing or if there was any previous history. In lower crime districts I can see a bored security officer with a quota doing something like this.

What is happening is rather deal with the time and expense of following the disability laws schools are letting law enforcement handle issues that used to be dealt with with a trip to the principles office and detention.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 5:35 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The article mentioned kids getting arrested for schoolyard fights and pushing a teacher, not equivalent to violent crime.

You might not consider a pupil pushing a teacher to be a violent crime but the teacher probably does, and so does the law.

But let's not get sidetracked here, I know you'd like that. None of those stories indicated the police searching a house for guns just from back-chat.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
What is happening is rather deal with the time and expense of following the disability laws schools are letting law enforcement handle issues that used to be dealt with with a trip to the principles office and detention.

Again you're talking about the articles you linked to, they are nothing to do with the OP's statements, stop implying that they are equivalent.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 11:17 pm

I just saw a video about a news report where a 5-year-old girl brought her pink plastic Hello Kitty gun (it looked more like a miniature hair dryer) that shoots BUBBLES to school and supposedly threatened to shoot kids with it. The girl got a 10-day suspension (later it was dropped to 2), they used worlds like "terrorist" and although it was confirmed she didn't have any psychiatric problems the school said it left a mark on her record, and another school would not accept her because of it.

SO! A student is a now future ditch-digger who'll never get into college, or a first-rate one anyway, because she brought a TOY that shoots bubbles, not bullets, BUBBLES, at the age of FIVE. At least that's what the implications were from this *urgent* report. :roll:

And yet, there's a mass shooting where disturbed individuals used REAL guns, but the NRA finds it perfectly acceptable to keep selling REAL guns. If it had its way, everyone in the US would be a gun-toting cowboy.

:wall:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 1:43 am

I was with you 100% on this:

lostonearth35 wrote:
I just saw a video about a news report where a 5-year-old girl brought her pink plastic Hello Kitty gun (it looked more like a miniature hair dryer) that shoots BUBBLES to school and supposedly threatened to shoot kids with it. The girl got a 10-day suspension (later it was dropped to 2), they used worlds like "terrorist" and although it was confirmed she didn't have any psychiatric problems the school said it left a mark on her record, and another school would not accept her because of it.

SO! A student is a now future ditch-digger who'll never get into college, or a first-rate one anyway, because she brought a TOY that shoots bubbles, not bullets, BUBBLES, at the age of FIVE. At least that's what the implications were from this *urgent* report. :roll:

But you lost me here:
lostonearth35 wrote:
And yet, there's a mass shooting where disturbed individuals used REAL guns, but the NRA finds it perfectly acceptable to keep selling REAL guns. If it had its way, everyone in the US would be a gun-toting cowboy.

:wall:

For the millionth time, it's the attempt to stop the selling of REAL guns that causes buying sprees of them. Had it not been for anti-gunners and thier pet politicians there would be far fewer guns in circulation for you to wring your hands over, especially those dreadful "high powered assault weapons".

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 10:26 am

/\ She doesn't need to be wringin' her hands, anyway, cuz she's Canadian.....

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 11:32 am

Chichikov wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The article mentioned kids getting arrested for schoolyard fights and pushing a teacher, not equivalent to violent crime.

You might not consider a pupil pushing a teacher to be a violent crime but the teacher probably does, and so does the law.

But let's not get sidetracked here, I know you'd like that. None of those stories indicated the police searching a house for guns just from back-chat.

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Again you're talking about the articles you linked to, they are nothing to do with the OP's statements, stop implying that they are equivalent.

I do not know what exactly happened or the background and neither do you.

You do not live in the states and probably do not know many people working in the schools here. I have a lot of family in the that line of work. I can envision that happining. That does not mean I think that this would happen every time or even most times a kid mouth’s off. It just means under certain curcumstances I can envision that occurring. Between the teachers unions and fear of getting sued what was formally considered normal child behavior has been criminalized. Pushing a teacher used to be handled by a suspension not arrest.

So I changed the conversation topic away from the specific incident to a more important issue. You commented on an incident not related to the Las Vegas massacre.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 11:42 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

That's my point, there is something in the background the OP isn't disclosing. If the police raided homes every time a child was cheeky in school then they'd have no time for anything else. Isn't that just common sense?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 11:46 am

Chichikov wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

That's my point, there is something in the background the OP isn't disclosing. If the police raided homes every time a child was cheeky in school then they'd have no time for anything else. Isn't that just common sense?

I agree. I think there was some sort of history between the kid or the family and the school.