Page 163 of 163 [ 2606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 10:46 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I wonder if Liz Truss will be another Margaret Thatcher?

Also as an American living in a country that has never elected a single female president I find it fascinating that the UK has had many powerful female rulers from Independent Queens like Victoria and Elizabeth to Prime Ministers like Margaret Thatcher.

Liz Truss is a former member of the Liberal Democrats and also backed the 'Remain' cause in the Referendum. She will do well to attain full 'Maggie' status coming from that background.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 10:50 pm

Think its lovely how a lot of the shopkeepers have put tributes to the Queen in their windows.
One real estate has replaced every listing with a photograph of the queen.
And many others have done thoughtful and touching displays. :heart:

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:17 am

people are paying 1500$ for fake QE autographs now , you're not going to get bargain price on one now

Most royals refuse autograph requests , only sign documents and xmas cards to close friends

Buyer beware......

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 1:31 am

Raleigh wrote:
Think its lovely how a lot of the shopkeepers have put tributes to the Queen in their windows.
One real estate has replaced every listing with a photograph of the queen.
And many others have done thoughtful and touching displays. :heart:

I think it's lovely as well. I'm still choked up about the whole thing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 1:34 am

I didn't talk much about the Queen's death to my parents. I know what would have happened if I did. I swear that one of these days, that big heart of mine is going to swell up and choke me in the throat.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 1:51 am

I imagine the antique dealers have already started collecting royal memorabilia with her majesties' face. Much like Diana memorabilia.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 7:08 am

DeepHour wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Also as an American living in a country that has never elected a single female president I find it fascinating that the UK has had many powerful female rulers from Independent Queens like Victoria and Elizabeth to Prime Ministers like Margaret Thatcher.

Liz Truss is a former member of the Liberal Democrats and also backed the 'Remain' cause in the Referendum. She will do well to attain full 'Maggie' status coming from that background.

...I wonder how long it's be 'til the next Conservative civil war, then. I guess the redtops are carefully forgetting about the "remain" thing. For the moment.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 7:33 am

It's too bad that Diana isn't still with us. She could have been Queen.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 6:02 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
It's too bad that Diana isn't still with us. She could have been Queen.

Yes, but she was queen of our heart so she will always be a queen. :heart:

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 6:31 pm

My deepest, heartfelt condolences to my brothers and sisters in the UK/England.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 2:25 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
DeepHour wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

...I wonder how long it's be 'til the next Conservative civil war, then. I guess the redtops are carefully forgetting about the "remain" thing. For the moment.

roughly 2 years until the next election, and I can see the the Tories having more in fighting before then.

Prime Minister Flip Flop is no Thatcher. I am not sure even she knows what she stands for. She will simply say anything at all at any time that she thinks will make her seem more important (a clone of Johnson then)

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 2:31 am

DeepHour wrote:

Something I thought summed her, and modern UK politics, up well was her recent interview where she was asked about Brexit.

She was an outspoken Remain MP and a number of her predictions have now come true. But because she desperately wanted to be PM and because the Tory Party are now effectively The Brexit Party (aka BluKIP) when interviewed by the Tory press she had to pretend she was terrible with all her predictions and got them all wrong. So staring right into the face of our damaged economy and businesses leaving the country and closing down, to keep the rabid readership appeased she had to say that all of her predictions of a damaged economy and businesses leaving and closing down were wildly wrong. :lol:

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 7:45 am

I think it's interesting that they made a barbie doll based on Queen Elizabeth's appearance.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 8:53 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I think it's interesting that they made a barbie doll based on Queen Elizabeth's appearance.

I want both that and the Coca Cola Barbie doll.