Page 91 of 163 [ 2606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 163  Next

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 6:08 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Corn is definitely eaten by humans here, and is offered as a side at takeaway joints and carveries.

We also have it among salad bars which I like.

I really feel for those who don't have sweetcorn as an option.

It makes me wonder what we don't get in our shops and restaurants?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 6:12 pm

Marshmallow in a jar that you spread on bread??
Pumpkin in a tin
Chicken in an even larger tin.

I think I can live without those things.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 6:18 pm

^ha, I must admit I haven't seen any of those in our shops.

Some weird things are creeping in though.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 6:49 pm

Temeraire wrote:

We have fluff in the UK

but I haven't seen chicken in a can except in pictures

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 6:59 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Temeraire wrote:

We have fluff in the UK

but I haven't seen chicken in a can except in pictures

Yuk, that chicken looks nasty.

Where do you get fluff? From the £ shop?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 7:00 pm

Omg, that chicken looks gross.

They had an American themed "special buys" in Aldi once and they had the jar of Fluff just like pictured above, and Dr Pepper and other stuff, mostly sweets.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 7:03 pm

Temeraire wrote:

Where do you get fluff? From the £ shop?

bellybuttons , jean pockets , down the side of sofa cushions. :wink:

I bought my last jar from Morrison's so I reckon most supermarkets stock it.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 7:05 pm

^ haha.

What do you do with it?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 7:07 pm

I read recently that most Americans make tea by boiling water in the microwave.
The horror.
It can't be true, can it?
Propaganda?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 7:11 pm

Raleigh wrote:
^ haha.

What do you do with it?

My bellybutton fluff?

Oh you mean Fluff. Fluff & peanut butter sandwich ( Fluffernutter ) , Fluff on toast , Fluff in hot chocolate drink ( never finished the jar )

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 7:13 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I read recently that most Americans make tea by boiling water in the microwave.
The horror.
It can't be true, can it?
Propaganda?

*said in hushed tones* Americans are weird

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 7:16 pm

Mr Kraftie mentioned that they don't have the fast boil kettles we do.

I guess it is quick?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 7:18 pm

...Shurely 8O " Roast Chicken crisps " is a different sense of ' crisps " than what I think of as the British meaning of " crisps " - meaning what's called in America " chips " - Doritos, Cheez Doodles, et al??? Would " roast chicken crisps " be something akin to Chinese restaurant chicken chunks cooked with stuff and bread :( or McDonalds Chicken McNuggets :? ???
I can think of Marshmallow Fluff for an example.of something Raleigh mentioned, I suppose it"s still around - My food-shopping circumstances are a bit peculiar by US standards, I guess, which I'll get to later, it would be a digression.
One other bit of " Americana food " that I always read meant little in other countries was peanut butter! For instance, I recall the late American writer William F. Buckley, Jr. (quite upper-class & rich, he was sent to a British boarding/" public " school by his father) recalling once while there receiving a care package from home including peanut butter - he offered tastes to his dormates and, after tasting it, they gave a rather " Uhhh. Yeah. " reaction! :P
I get the impression that canned food is a bit more widly consumed in the UK of today than in the U.S., at least for some foods. Maybe it"s even Northern California to some extent having a certain " Well, we eat fresh, off the farm, food! (or we pretend that we do) " 8) snobbery that I'm calculating from here :lol: !

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 7:38 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...Shurely 8O " Roast Chicken crisps " is a different sense of ' crisps " than what I think of as the British meaning of " crisps " - meaning what's called in America " chips " - Doritos, Cheez Doodles, et al??? Would " roast chicken crisps " be something akin to Chinese restaurant chicken chunks cooked with stuff and bread :( or McDonalds Chicken McNuggets :? ???
I get the impression that canned food is a bit more widly consumed in the UK of today than in the U.S., at least for some foods. Maybe it"s even Northern California to some extent having a certain " Well, we eat fresh, off the farm, food! (or we pretend that we do) " 8) snobbery that I'm calculating from here :lol: !

nah , Roast Chicken crisps = Roast Chicken chips

I would say that UK supermarket tinned food makes up about 5% of stock , I would say tinned food is bought by older generations or people on a budget.

We'll all be on tinned food soon thanks to Teresa May :lol:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 8:07 pm

...With the mention of Dr. Pepper(R) - You've REALLY! given me a chance to digress :l here, you may regret this :lol: - When I was a child in the greater/Metropolitan New York City area (" New Netherlands ") Dr. Pepper was not sold widely there (Apparently 100% not at all in NYC proper) and I associate Dr. Pepper, especially out of a glass with ice, with trips to my mother's East Texas family :) . A 60s Dr. Pepper commercial (" advert " :!: ) (can't link :( ) sang " not a cola...but a blend)if rich fruit flavor/CHARGE!..." (ooper, went on too long :oops: )...and I recall a statement that, in soft-drink industry terminology, DP was not considered to be a cola...But, when Coca-Cola(R) 8)introduced Cherry Coke(R) I recall someone who had a building mini-store saying to me "As far as I'm concerned, Dr. Pepper is Cherry Coke"?! :P

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 8:11 pm

...Well, thank you. That DOES look like ' crisps " in the sense I was thinking of :? .

Ferris"]

ASS -P wrote:

nah , Roast Chicken crisps = Roast Chicken chips

I would say that UK supermarket tinned food makes up about 5% of stock , I would say tinned food is bought by older generations or people on a budget.

We'll all be on tinned food soon thanks to Teresa May :lol:[/quote]