Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Jun 2018, 10:57 pm

My social worker has never heard of Paul McCartney. Today (7 minutes to go) is his b'day and I mentioned it and she said, "Who?" I kept repeating Paul McCartney until I realized the problem was not her hearing. I said, "The Beatles." And she gave me a sideways look like I'd said Lionel Barrymore.

Do you know people who have never heard of Paul McCartney?

I saw him live in 1964. He's rather good, you know, for those who were born too late.

Lately he received from Yale an Honorary PhD, so now he's Sir Paul McCartney PhD - or should that be James Paul.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 11:48 pm

Yep. Paul McCartney is cool. Happy belated birthday to him.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 12:28 am

Paul McCartney? Beatles? Lionel Barrymore? Wait wasn't Barrymore the member of a band called the Scurvy Little Spiders?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jun 2018, 12:35 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep. Paul McCartney is cool. Happy belated birthday to him.

Right you are but if I may - and I never do - but this time - as generous and forgiving as I know you to be - it's the Happy that is belated, not the Birthday. The birthday didn't budge. It's our well-wishes that are belated.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 12:43 am

Claradoon wrote:

I'm sure I do, the topic just hasn't come up. He isn't much of a conversation topic for me.

I have liked a lot of his music, but quite frankly I lost a lot of respect for him years ago when I heard that he refused to be interviewed by a female reporter in her mid 30's because that would make him look ancient.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 1:58 am

Claradoon wrote:
My social worker has never heard of Paul McCartney. Today (7 minutes to go) is his b'day and I mentioned it and she said, "Who?" I kept repeating Paul McCartney until I realized the problem was not her hearing. I said, "The Beatles." And she gave me a sideways look like I'd said Lionel Barrymore.

I saw him live in 1964. He's rather good, you know, for those who were born too late.

Lately he received from Yale an Honorary PhD, so now he's Sir Paul McCartney PhD - or should that be James Paul.

I don't know how well known Paul McCartney is among those in their teens or 20s but the 60s and 70s churned out a lot more influencial music than other decades and a lot of the younger generations take up an interest in it. I hear young people mention music and artists from those eras than from the 40s, 50s, 80s, and 90s.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 2:08 am

john lennon chafed around him, and eventually wrote a song lyric asking "how do you sleep?" in a thinly veiled critique of paul.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 3:21 am

Claradoon wrote:
Lionel Barrymore.

never heard of him. any good?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 3:29 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
Lionel Barrymore.

never heard of him. any good?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Barrymore
actor, great grandpappy of the Barrymore acting clan.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 4:06 am

In the Beatles, Lennon was generally regarded as the rebel, Harrison as somewhat 'deep' and mysterious, Starr as the least gifted, albeit quite funny, and McCartney as obviously hugely talented, something of a 'nice guy' though perhaps a bit bland (at least compared with Lennon).

In the post Beatles era, he had considerable success with Wings, though he was thought to have 'sold out' with the blatantly commercial and middle of the road Mull of Kintyre. In the eighties he got a fair amount of ridicule for the wishy-washy lyrics and banal sentiments of Ebony and Ivory, his joint venture with Stevie Wonder. Both of those got to number 1 in the UK charts however.

I liked Jet and Junior's Farm, two Wings songs from the mid 1970s.

Last edited by DeepHour on 19 Jun 2018, 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 4:30 am

Indeed, Claradoon, indeed :wink:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 7:00 am

Did anyone get my clever Mr. Potter reference?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 8:58 am

Happy 76th Birthday, Paul!

Conner42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2018, 9:14 am

DeepHour wrote:
In the Beatles, Lennon was generally regarded as the rebel, Harrison as somewhat 'deep' and mysterious, Starr as the least gifted, albeit quite funny, and McCartney as obviously hugely talented, something of a 'nice guy' though perhaps a bit bland (at least compared with Lennon).
After reading his biography, I can say that McCartney is far from a nice guy. Maybe narcissistic though I think Lennon was narcissistic too.

He constantly ridiculed his band members and wasn't very nice to them because he was very picky about how he wanted some parts played. McCartney actually played secretly snuck in the recording studio and recorded drum parts behind Ringo's back which made Ringo temporarily quit the band.

Considering that my dad has compared me to Paul McCartney when I'm having to deal with other band members, I can at least see where he's coming from though I don't think I ever was as bad as him in some regards(he called one of the members from wings a c*** because he was getting kind of sick of being treated badly).

In the end...damn, I still love Paul; his music is so good, haha!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 9:20 am

Flashback to the mid-1980s...

A friend of mine and I were playing video games at Aladdin's Castle, when two teenagers walked past.

Teen #1: "Did you know that Paul McCartney was in another group before Wings?"

Teen #2: "Who's Paul McCartney?"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jun 2018, 10:14 am

Conner42 wrote:
DeepHour wrote:
After reading his biography, I can say that McCartney is far from a nice guy. Maybe narcissistic though I think Lennon was narcissistic too.

He constantly ridiculed his band members and wasn't very nice to them because he was very picky about how he wanted some parts played. McCartney actually played secretly snuck in the recording studio and recorded drum parts behind Ringo's back which made Ringo temporarily quit the band.

Considering that my dad has compared me to Paul McCartney when I'm having to deal with other band members, I can at least see where he's coming from though I don't think I ever was as bad as him in some regards(he called one of the members from wings a c*** because he was getting kind of sick of being treated badly).

In the end...damn, I still love Paul; his music is so good, haha!

Which biography?