The Constant Disparagement of Women on the Internet

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 3:54 pm

Chronos wrote:
Another interesting thing I have noticed is on some of these videos, there will also be excessive posts of praise, I am guessing in keeping with the phenomena of male variance which translates to more males towards extremes of spectrums. And these comments tend to cluster. If one makes a disparaging commebt, others will. If one makes an excessively praising comment, others will. This, no doubt, is a manifestation of a tendancy towards "following the leader" in the male demographic so that accounts for some of the frequency of the comments I am sure.

Could be. Believe me though, just as not all of us men disrespect women, not all of us men "follow the pack". I've always rejected following the pack, "groupthink", etc. Yuck.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 4:03 pm

Magna wrote:
Magna wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Another interesting thing I have noticed is on some of these videos, there will also be excessive posts of praise, I am guessing in keeping with the phenomena of male variance which translates to more males towards extremes of spectrums. And these comments tend to cluster. If one makes a disparaging commebt, others will. If one makes an excessively praising comment, others will. This, no doubt, is a manifestation of a tendancy towards "following the leader" in the male demographic so that accounts for some of the frequency of the comments I am sure.

Could be. Believe me though, just as not all of us men disrespect women, not all of us men "follow the pack". I've always rejected following the pack, "groupthink", etc. Yuck.

It is important for you to understand that my post is not speaking of all men or most men or men in general and is only speaking of the demographic of males who do this and the fact that being male has something to do with it for these specific individuals, in that if these same induviduals were not exposed to testosterone and were not raised as male/related to as male, they would likely not behave in this manner, but the unknown is, which, if either factor alone is primarily responsible for their behavior?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 4:07 pm

I have decided to ask these individuals why they behave in the manner they do. Unfortunately they rarely reply.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 8:12 pm

It sounds like the Bible Belt mentality is becoming a virus and spreading outside of it or are the women in the videos getting the abuse from the Bible Belt?

I've heard a lot of the phrases in the opening post being mentioned by men all my life. The weird thing is that these men say they are straight and absolutely hate the idea of anything same-sex related (With the exception of lesbians for the most part) but they don't really seem to like women. :roll: They also claim to hate Islam's treatment of women and insist Christianity doesn't treat women bad (It actually does) but don't have a problem disparaging women themselves. I guess only they want to have control as well as sex over all women.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 8:33 pm

Chronos wrote:
BTDT wrote:
Train yourself not to read the comments section. Or visit sites in which you have to click on a link to see the comments and don't click on the link.

My curiosity as to the psychology of these individuals still stands.

I think there are various levels on which your question could be answered - from depth psychology, sexual politics, male anger. However I will merely cite one simple reason here: the tendency to blame and focus hatred on easy targets in simplistic ways instead of developing critical thinking and taking personal responsibility for personal development. Hatred is easy, it's their path of least resistance. Changing their hateful selves is challenging and requires mature commitment to a goal. Much harder.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2018, 10:10 am

Those comment pages are just plain nasty and full of ugliness. I try not to read them at all.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2018, 10:29 am

My best guess is that they can make these comments securely from the safety of their homes; not sure they would say the same things in public or receive the same reaction.
There is less social control on how we communicate online, less repercussions or corrective feedback than in person.
It's an echo chamber experience, perhaps they are unequipped for reality.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 2:21 am

Amity wrote:
My best guess is that they can make these comments securely from the safety of their homes; not sure they would say the same things in public or receive the same reaction.
There is less social control on how we communicate online, less repercussions or corrective feedback than in person.

But the question is, why do they feel compelled to make them in the first place?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 3:21 am

because they are frustrated, angry, often a bit outright sexist and the anonymous, massive internet is the only place they can air their frustrations freely without real consequences.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 4:15 am

Intelligent, capable women make men's weinies shrink, so they've got to tear them down in order to feel superior.

It's an insecurity issue, derived from fear.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 4:20 am

Chronos wrote:
Amity wrote:

But the question is, why do they feel compelled to make them in the first place?

Can't know for sure, but best guess...

Perhaps they aren't equipped for reality, say the root cause is capitalism (or any other ism); the messages they receive from an early age, be it from their immediate circle or the global village via mass media will influence their own perception of the world.

The compulsion is a fight back against reality, fuelled by emotions eg like kip said frustration etc., cognitive dissonance and a self soothing reaction through the echo chamber.
I see these things as a signpost that this person is not well emotionally and that society needs to change its approach to mental health and wellbeing, because as of now there doesn't seem to be a way to break this cyclical behaviour.

Also I estimate that due to the lack of emotional/mental health emphasis they may identify that emotions are caused by someone else and that it's perfectly acceptable to take their anger out on another person, that they are indeed a victim of the real world.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 4:30 pm

I don't get why so many guys think women should stay in a household kitchen, but stay out of a four-star gourmet restaurant kitchen. The most famous chefs and professional cooks are mostly men.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 6:30 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Intelligent, capable women make men's weinies shrink, so they've got to tear them down in order to feel superior.

That’s one of those insulting generalizations that wouldn’t be tolerated against women. Intelligent, capable women don’t shrink my wienie; quite the opposite, but I know I have to take matters into my own hands, because if they want some bodily pleasure, they have plenty of much better options than resorting to the likes of me.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 6:47 pm

Chronos wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
Have you ever read Alice Miller? Her books on child abuse and how so much human behavior comes from people's hate for their parents being misdirected have made me look at society and people very differently. That is probably what you're seeing with these men. When people criticize others' freedom and expression it's probably because they've been taught they can't freely express who they really are, so they become some ugly caricature of themselves and express that.

Girls are equally subjected to abuse and many at the hands of their fathers, yet we do not see parallel behavior in girls and women. Perhaps girls and women handle such abuse differently, however the question still remains as to why boys and men resort to this behavior.

You're right, it's not parallel - it's displaced. Girls bully other girls, women bully other women (and men, if the women are in a position of power). This is sadly SOP for a disenfranchised subpopulation... you see similar displacement in oppressed minorities (by ethnicity, faith, etc.)

Have you ever read "Why Does He DO That?" by Lundy Bancroft? He was a Guardian Ad Litem in the Boston courts, and worked in the nation's first program to attempt to rehabilitate spousal abusers. His conclusion, roughly, was that abuse is a disease of power, and abusers do it because they can. Also, it's extremely contagious when modeled within a family.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 7:24 pm

Amity wrote:
My best guess is that they can make these comments securely from the safety of their homes; not sure they would say the same things in public or receive the same reaction. There is less social control on how we communicate online, less repercussions or corrective feedback than in person. It's an echo chamber experience, perhaps they are unequipped for reality.

That argument works in reverse, too. Not all sexists, racists or ardent defenders of other kinds of social prejudice are cowards. Some are fit and capable street fighters, and can just as easily point out that few people who criticize them online would dare to do the same to their faces. This video made me think a lot when I first saw it: .
If I’m not mistaken, Keine Stimme den Nazis! means “No voice for Nazis!”. An Antifa group was protesting for something about a Nazi publication whose title translates as “A voice for Germany”. As you can see, they went looking for trouble to the place where a much smaller group of tall, fit, rugged and anything but cowardly Nazis seem to have been just peacefully being Nazis on their own. How many of them were there?—five? And yet the police had to protect the far larger group of Antifa from them, with guns versus baseball bats. People in the comments almost unanimously condemned the Antifa as pathetic cowards.

And that’s where my concepts of courage and cowardice get rather fuzzy. If we accept those Antifa are cowards, doesn’t this mean everyone else opposed to Nazi ideas, like myself, is an even greater coward for not being there at all, willing to tell them what we think of their ideology even if they reply by beating us to death and we have no realistic chance to defend ourselves? Doesn’t this, in fact, legitimize the Nazis? As long as no other group of tough guys with different ideas shows up and defeats them, of course.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 7:31 pm

Raleigh wrote:

why do you think that is

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.