How would you react if suddenly you were the only living per

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 9:08 pm

How would you react if suddenly you were the only living person in the world?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 9:16 pm

I think any human would go completely insane after awhile. You ever see the first episode of The Twilight Zone? I think it would be a lot like that.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 11:09 pm

I don't think it would be good now that I know that in only a few days there would be no lights or electricity or heat in the winter or air conditioning in summer. I'm no survivalist. :oops: If I got really sick or injured, which I likely would, there would be no doctors or surgeons to help me. If I went into an empty hospital I wouldn't know how to use anything and there would be no power to work it.

And I guess I'd deteriorate mentally as well. I'm on prescription medication, how will I get more when it runs out? Maybe I could break into a pharmacy? No one else alive so they won't be needing it. But I might take the wrong medicine and end up killing myself.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 11:19 pm

I think I would be fine.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 12:02 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
I think any human would go completely insane after awhile. You ever see the first episode of The Twilight Zone? I think it would be a lot like that.

I liked that episode (Season 1, Episode 8 - "Time Enough at Last"). It was one of my favorites.

Henpecked, far sighted bank teller and avid bookworm Henry Bemis works at his window in a bank, while reading David Copperfield, which causes him to shortchange an annoyed customer. Bemis's angry boss, and later his nagging wife, both complain to him that he wastes far too much time reading "doggerel."

The next day, as usual, Henry takes his lunch break in the bank's vault, where his reading will not be disturbed. Moments after he sees a newspaper headline, which reads "H-Bomb Capable of Total Destruction," an enormous explosion outside the bank violently shakes the vault, knocking Bemis unconscious. Bemis emerges from the vault to find the bank demolished and everyone in it dead. Leaving the bank, he sees that the entire city has been destroyed, and realizes that a nuclear war has devastated Earth, but that his being in the vault has saved him.

Finding himself totally alone in a shattered world with food to last him a lifetime (but no one to share it with) and no means of leaving to look for other survivors, Bemis succumbs to despair. Bemis sees the ruins of the public library in the distance. Investigating, he finds that the books are still intact and readable; all the books he could ever hope for are his for the reading, and (as he gazes upon a huge fallen face of a clock) realizes that he has all the time in the world to read them without interruption.

Just as he bends down to pick up the first book, he stumbles, and his glasses fall off and shatter. In shock, he picks up the broken remains of the glasses he is virtually blind without, and says, "That's not fair. That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was—was all the time I needed…! It's not fair! It's not fair!" and bursts into tears, surrounded by books he now can never read.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 1:23 am

I would adopt every cat I came across and create a new feline master race with me as their Igor.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 2:40 am

I would wonder what drugs were put in my food and who put it there.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 6:42 am

I wouldn't live very long. I need a certain kind of medication and, when that runs out, I'm finished.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

04 Oct 2018, 6:48 am

An interesting question. I think I would enjoy it - the silence and having the whole world to myself. If animals remained but not any people that would be even better. :D But after a while it'd probably get quite boring and the isolation might drive me insane especially since at first i'd probably be sure that i'm dreaming. Then the worry about where everyone I care about had gone would hit me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 11:54 am

Take advantage of it at first, like loot the streets naked just to see what it feels like. Then I'll hang myself in a tree because, well, there wouldn't be much point in living after that.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 12:05 pm

EzraS wrote:

Yeah but it's not showing the part where he started to really miss his family and wish that they would come back. :lol:

I know personally I wouldn't make it. No electricity to play video games or watch TV, no medication to take for my Bipolar Disorder, and once all the food in the kitchens and stores expires what would I find to eat? I'm a spoiled American who buys his food at Walmart so I wouldn't know the first thing about hunting my own meat or growing my own crops. And if I got sick or injured there would be nobody to help me. Plus I would feel lonely and sad knowing that everybody I had ever cared about was gone and that would drive me into a deep depression.

Humans really aren't designed for loneliness and isolation. Even introverts need the occasional human contact once in awhile.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 12:17 pm

I thought about this more on my daily walk. I think there would be so many plans that could be made to keep the mind occupied even if there wasn't electricity. Solar panels would work I would assume. Searching homes for any supplies needed. Growing and drying food. If vehicles still worked, traveling from town to town, state to state, Canada and Mexico. If animals were still around, having at least one pet dog as a companion. Maybe even being brave (what's there to lose?) and figuring out how to sail to Europe and explore there. I'm very much into the idea of challenges like that. I consider myself a "survivor". Anytime along the way, you might get sick and die early in which case....you'd get sick and die early.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 12:38 pm

I doubt I'd react tbh , I don't need human interaction.

I'd start a new ferret utopia hell bent on destroying any kitty warlords that might of survived :wink:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 1:24 pm

First I would probably not automatically assume that I was the last person left on Earth. I do not accept things at face value so I would need to confirm that fact. So my initial goal would be to find other survivors. There is an awfully big world out there to explore on this journey for the truth, much more than can be accomplished in only one lifetime.

I have survival skills and in general I could probably survive on my own for around 5 years. But since I am over 70, my age would begin to wear my body out which would lead to my demise.

I had a sign specifically made up for my underground shelter. It reads "Stay Calm and Try Not to become Extinct". That is my motto.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 4:19 pm

Probably find the closest knife and stab it right through my subclavical arteries. I've promised myself that I can do that once my parents are no longer around to miss me, if I'm still alive. Even when I thought I had reason to live, that I might actually do some good in the world, I've always thought that in any sort of apocalyptic event where most of the human population was wiped out, I'd want to be one of the ones who died, not a survivor.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"