Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 12:38 am

I actually like to have some spiders, from what I understand they eat other annoying bugs. But I have killed some like if they run around all creepy like or seem aggressive. But I've also put some outside when possible. But yeah sometimes I find spiders in corners I don't use that just stay there so if anything I avoid them or their web. Because they are probably eating little flies and other bugs I don't want around. As for jumping spiders, I put them outside if I can because I usually find them on windows so I figure they are probably trying to get back outside. But they can get pretty big and the bigger ones are really hard to catch, apparently they have really good eye-sight for a spider so they can see you really well thus making it harder to catch them.

I had one in my window, I wanted to try and put back outside, but there was no way it would have seen any move I was going to make before I made a move. so I just let it be and eventually it got back outside on its own. But yeah jumping spiders are cool, but very hard to catch because they have such good eyesight. Also they seem curious like they don't just run away they always observe more. Pretty sure I even had one playing with me at one point, I was outside smoking and it kept bungee jumping from the chair I was on with it's web....and it would hide then when I saw it it would go try to hide somewhere else than from time to time come back on the chair to swing from its web, literally seemed like the spider just wanted to play.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 12:58 am

If they're as big as a nickel or larger I usually end their lives quickly. If they're small I leave them alone.

Years ago during a very hot summer I lived in a place where a large spider was crawling on my body while I was sleeping. The sensation woke me up. I went back to sleep and the sensation woke me up again later where I then realized that something had definitely been crawling on me and there was no way in hell the thing was going to continue to live. I looked everywhere in the room. I sat up in bed motionless and finally it crawled across the bedsheets. It was pretty big. I squashed it to a pulp and angrily so since I felt it had been taking advantage of the fact I was helpless and unawares while I was sleeping.

AQ-43 (32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism).
EQ-14 out of 80
Rdos: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 6:21 am

I don't like spiders. In the insect world they seem like the biggest predators, and lovely things like moths and crane flies and even butterflies get caught up in their webs. I like to keep moths in my room but I've noticed that they attract nasty hungry spiders, so since I haven't kept moths I haven't seen any spiders either.

You should see the obese spiders in our garden shed, they are fat and live in really thick cobwebs. I bet they find all sorts of insects to eat in there, hence why they're so fat.
Gives me the shudders.

On antidepressants (50mg Sertraline) ~ Helps control emotional outbursts but not general anxiety.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 8:51 am

Spiders don't bother me much & I'll bring em outside when I can. My girlfriend has arachnophobia thou & hates spiders more the bigger they are. The real little 1s don't bother her & we'll leave those alone cuz it's very easy to squish them while trying to catch them. Cass will usually have me catch the bigger 1s if I'm around or she'll try & do it but there have been times when we've had to kill some because they wouldn't of been able to be caught easily & she was freaking out.

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 8:53 am

I have a phobia, so they usually get smashed. Or vacuumed, if I have the time.

I'm trying to change this, but it isn't easy. It's funny because any other insect, even ants and roaches, I feel really bad about killing.

SaveFerris
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Oct 2018, 8:56 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I have a phobia, so they usually get smashed. Or vacuumed, if I have the time.

I'm trying to change this, but it isn't easy. It's funny because any other insect, even ants and roaches, I feel really bad about killing.

Get one of these then

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 9:25 am

I like them,with the exception of brown recluses.
I think the large wolf spiders are just awesome.

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 4:35 pm

I kill them along with any other bug indoors to keep their numbers down. For every bug I see there are likely 10 that I dont see.

Your neurodiverse score: 150 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 51 of 200

officially diagnosed with Asperger's as of 09/11/15

Reassessed 04/11/16
DSM-V: ASD level 2 with Social Communication Severity: level 2, Restrictive Repetitve Behaviour: level 2

ADOS-2 classification: Autism

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 4:47 pm

I use one of these.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:14 pm

The basement is fair game for spiders, since we don't use it a whole lot. Anywhere else in the house, if it stays unobtrusive, I leave it alone. If it's doing much more than sitting in a web in a corner or crawling across the ceiling, I grab a piece of paper, get the spider on it, and let it go outside. If the spider, no matter where it is, is a brown recluse or black widow, I have to get another family member and pretend I don't know what they're going to do. I can't bear to kill them just for existing, but we have two very curious pets who could very easily end up bitten if they found the spiders, so anything that's potentially dangerous like that has to go.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Deemar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2018, 5:43 pm

I used to live in Atlanta and noticed a few spiders in the apartment so I killed everything I saw. Then a week later I noticed there was a crazy amount of centipedes, carpenters and even a mouse. After that I stopped killing the spiders and everything else went away.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 6:08 pm

I like spiders. Not just because they eat pests but because they look cool.

They're kind of creepy (I like creepy things) and there's something oddly feminine about them to me. Their legs remind me of long boney fingers and I heard that the female spiders are more aggressive and tend to eat the males during mating.

They also remind me of vampires the way they lure a victim into a trap and suck their fluids out with their fangs. :skull:

RESleight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2018, 7:23 pm

If they're friendlies, I will leave them be or relocate them outdoors.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 8:03 pm

I have a strange combination of visceral revulsion and fascination for them. I don't usually kill them, but if one surprises me, especially if it's close enough to get on me, I might squish it by reflex. The revulsion can be quite powerful; it gets my hackles up and makes my head buzz. But my fascination for nature makes me try to overcome it, and I've done quite a bit of extreme close-up photography of them. But when I'm taking those photos, even though I know the spider can't do me any harm, if it even moves one of its little palps slightly in my magnified view, I usually fly straight across the room, and I get a lot of blurry photos because my hands are shaking so much!

fiber bundle
Toucan
Toucan

08 Oct 2018, 9:08 pm

I found a female black widow in my clothes before.