Electrical Installation Behind My Wall - Dangerous?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Feb 2019, 5:16 pm

There is an electrical installation behind my living room wall. It's by itself in a small room. I've never seen it. The last tenant moved because it made him sick. I think it's making me sick too. I *never* go into my living room, it hurts.

I've searched for safety on this kind of thing but all studies are paid for by Hydro, the manufacturer. They all say it's iffy but safe.

What do you think? Is there a protection for that wall, something that electricity cannot penetrate?

I think the general idea is that I'm living in a small version of those electrical power towers that people don't live next to.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 5:25 pm

Hi Claradoon. What do you mean "electrical installation"? Is it something in the the actual wall or outside of your building?

Do you have a radio? I wonder if you tune the radio to an AM station if the electrical discharge from whatever it is is strong enough where it drowns out the signal from an AM radio station. Listening to an AM radio station in a car and then driving under large power lines, you can hear the buzz from the electricity of the power lines and nothing else until you pass far enough away from the power lines.

Maybe you can use a radio to test?

"Ain't nothing but a stranger in this world
I'm nothing but a stranger in this world" -Van Morrison

"Are you Bluish? You don't look Bluish."

AQ-43 (32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism).
EQ-14 out of 80
Rdos: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 5:42 pm

Claradoon wrote:
There is an electrical installation behind my living room wall. It's by itself in a small room. I've never seen it. The last tenant moved because it made him sick. I think it's making me sick too. I *never* go into my living room, it hurts.

I've searched for safety on this kind of thing but all studies are paid for by Hydro, the manufacturer. They all say it's iffy but safe.

What do you think? Is there a protection for that wall, something that electricity cannot penetrate?

I think the general idea is that I'm living in a small version of those electrical power towers that people don't live next to.

YES! IMMEDIATELY, WITHOUT DELAY, YOU MUST WALLPAPER YOUR ROOM WITH TIN FOIL TO BLOCK OUT THE TOXIC ELECTROMAGNETIC RADIATION! DON'T FORGET TO RESERVE ENOUGH TIN FOIL TO MAKE A PROTECTIVE HELMET!
YOUR LIFE DEPENDS UPON IT!

Seriously, what you're referring to is in all probability a circuit breaker or fuse box, just like the ones in 136.57 million other homes in the United States. It is perfectly safe unless you intentionally remove the cover and stick a fork in an inopportune spot. Household electricity has been around since 1880, and nowhere on earth do you see mass die-offs from flipping light switches. Without electricity, you couldn't even post conspiracy theories to Wrong Planet, so relax and find something else to obsessively worry about.

Last edited by Piobaire on 25 Feb 2019, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Feb 2019, 5:46 pm

Thank you for answering! I feel terribly alone with this weird problem.

Yes, the radio gets interference next to that wall.

The installation is in a little room in my bldg next to my apartment. Room might be (guessing) 4x6 feet. The door to that room is right next to my front door. The 2 doors are in a corner. The little room's door is black metal and always locked with a big heavy lock. It's the same size as an apartment door.

You know what doesn't work next to that wall, is the credit card machine that delivery guys use. They have to go outside to make it work.

Last edited by Claradoon on 25 Feb 2019, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Feb 2019, 5:49 pm

Piobaire wrote:
Seriously, what you're referring to is in all probability a circuit breaker or fuse box, just like the ones in 136.57 million other homes in the United States. It is perfectly safe unless you intentionally remove the cover and stick a fork in an inopportune spot. Household electricity has been around since 1880, and nowhere on earth do you see mass die-offs from flipping light switches. Without electricity, you couldn't even post conspiracy theories to Wrong Planet, so relax and find something else to obsessively worry about.

I know what a fuse box is.
But this is a entire room maybe 4x6 with a big metal door.
The fuses are in there too, but it's taller than me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 5:50 pm

Does your place have solar panels on the roof? Sometimes a separate room is constructed to house the inverters (which give off RF energy) and the storage batteries (which may give off toxic fumes).

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Feb 2019, 6:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
Does your place have solar panels on the roof? Sometimes a separate room is constructed to house the inverters (which give off RF energy) and the storage batteries (which may give off toxic fumes).

No solar panels.
The building is maybe 40? years old.

Re wiring generally, if I turn on the small bathroom heater and the microwave, all the fuses have to be reset. Janitor goes with jangling keys and unlocks room, goes in, resets fuses. There is no heating in the bathroom itself, not enough wiring or something.

That's an interesting phrase:
the storage batteries (which may give off toxic fumes)

Could we have toxic storage batteries (or toxic anything else) without solar panels?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

ElabR8Aspie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2019, 7:42 pm

Hi Claradoon,

I'll make an assumption that the room you refer to is the meter room for your apartment block and smart meters are installed?

IF so,smart meters are your issue and are a health issue in close proximity,especially from a group installation.

See here EMR

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 7:46 pm

Claradoon wrote:
That's an interesting phrase: the storage batteries (which may give off toxic fumes).Could we have toxic storage batteries (or toxic anything else) without solar panels?
Without solar panels on the roof, there is no need for storage batteries.

Likely it is just an electrics closet -- a place where the circuit breaker panels and watt-hour meters are installed.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 8:05 pm

It sounds like you are referring to an electrical room or electrical closet.

An electrical room is a room or space in a building dedicated to electrical equipment. Its size is usually proportional to the size of the building; large buildings may have a main electrical room and subsidiary electrical rooms.

So it might service the entire apartment complex. Therefore it may contain quite a bit of electrical equipment. Electrical rooms typically house the following equipment:

Electric switchboards
Distribution boards
Circuit breakers and disconnects
Electricity meter
Transformers
Busbars
Backup batteries in a Battery room
Fire alarm control panels
Distribution frames

So generally I would think you apartment does not have backup power, so I would probably scratch backup batteries from the list. They would probably have a separate room to house the batteries for such an installation. You can make sure by asking the maintenance man who resets your circuit breakers. You might also ask the janitor when he is around to see the inside of the electrical room. You live next door to it and you are curious.

I suspect that perhaps the room contains a transformer, and you are hearing the noise from the transformer. As an Aspie you may be more sensitive to noise and it might be a stressor.

Since you apartment is around 40 years old, the electrical installation may be a little less than ideal. Over the past 40 years, people keep adding electrical devices (televisions, microwave ovens, appliances, stereos, computers) to their apartments. The total electrical demands have increased as a result. Therefore when you exceed it on a circuit (such as using a microwave oven and bathroom heater) at the same time, you exceed the carrying capacity of the electrical circuit and trip a circuit breaker. That is the reason for circuit breakers.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Feb 2019, 2:46 am

ElabR8Aspie wrote:
Hi Claradoon,

I'll make an assumption that the room you refer to is the meter room for your apartment block and smart meters are installed?

IF so,smart meters are your issue and are a health issue in close proximity,especially from a group installation.

See here EMR

My first answer got deleted. Trying again -

Yes, that seems to describe my situation. But not 'meter room' or 'smart meters' have to check.

May I verify Aussie/Cda meanings:
apartment block - Cda says apt bldg, 'my block' would be several independent bldgs between 2 cross-streets.
group installation - e.g. 12 apts in one bldg?

Last edited by Claradoon on 26 Feb 2019, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Feb 2019, 3:02 am

jimmy m wrote:
It sounds like you are referring to an electrical room or electrical closet.

An electrical room is a room or space in a building dedicated to electrical equipment. Its size is usually proportional to the size of the building; large buildings may have a main electrical room and subsidiary electrical rooms.

So it might service the entire apartment complex. Therefore it may contain quite a bit of electrical equipment. Electrical rooms typically house the following equipment:

Electric switchboards
Distribution boards
Circuit breakers and disconnects
Electricity meter
Transformers
Busbars
Backup batteries in a Battery room
Fire alarm control panels
Distribution frames

So generally I would think you apartment does not have backup power, so I would probably scratch backup batteries from the list. They would probably have a separate room to house the batteries for such an installation. You can make sure by asking the maintenance man who resets your circuit breakers. You might also ask the janitor when he is around to see the inside of the electrical room. You live next door to it and you are curious.

I suspect that perhaps the room contains a transformer, and you are hearing the noise from the transformer. As an Aspie you may be more sensitive to noise and it might be a stressor.

Since you apartment is around 40 years old, the electrical installation may be a little less than ideal. Over the past 40 years, people keep adding electrical devices (televisions, microwave ovens, appliances, stereos, computers) to their apartments. The total electrical demands have increased as a result. Therefore when you exceed it on a circuit (such as using a microwave oven and bathroom heater) at the same time, you exceed the carrying capacity of the electrical circuit and trip a circuit breaker. That is the reason for circuit breakers.

Yes - An electrical room is a room in a building dedicated to electrical equipment.

So generally I would think you apartment does not have backup power - There is a law about having back-up power, not sure if it applies to this little bldg. No elevators here, only 3 floors.

They would probably have a separate room to house the batteries for such an installation. It's a room!

I'd rather wait to ask to see the room. Janitor told me not to look when he reset my fuses.

I suspect that perhaps the room contains a transformer, and you are hearing the noise from the transformer. As an Aspie you may be more sensitive to noise and it might be a stressor. This sounds right but does it include the interference with my AM radio?

That is the reason for circuit breakers. I have wondered if, over the years, they might have installed more electrics. They must have at least changed some - everything's changed since WWII.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 8:09 am

He may not want you to look at the old, outdated wiring. The wiring in my house was updated 25 years ago. A new circuit breaker panel was put in back then to upgrade the service.

My first apartment had those old glass fuses until the owner moved in and upgraded the electrical service. I knew it wasn't the best but anyplace else would have had a much higher rent.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 8:15 am

Claradoon, can you switch apartments in the same building?

"Ain't nothing but a stranger in this world
I'm nothing but a stranger in this world" -Van Morrison

"Are you Bluish? You don't look Bluish."

AQ-43 (32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism).
EQ-14 out of 80
Rdos: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)