Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 11:47 am

Yes, I decided to become a vegan a couple of months ago. I thought it would be good for my health, and the thought of calves being taken from their mothers, and their mothers crying out for days for their babies :( I couldn't see how it was ethical to purchase even dairy anymore. And I'm allergic to eggs, so, that explains that.

Well today I tried out the vegan No Turkey sandwich at Marks & Spencer, and it was delicious. Really, the tastiest supermarket vegan sandwich I've had. Also the shop Wasabi, their vegan sushi with the avacado is delicious (Do NOT buy it from the Wasabi section of M&S though, it was horrible). I tried the vegan cheddar ploughmans sandwich at Waitrose, and good for them for trying, but the cheese was inedible.

Does any one here have any good ideas or places to eat takeaway or supermarket vegan from? I like by Chloe's too.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 11:53 am

By "here", I assume that you mean London (U.K.)?

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 12:02 pm

Lots of good vegan cafes in London. There are ones elsewhere too. Just read above that you're from London?

What I like is it seems like a lot has changed a lot over the last 5 years. Maybe this is because mum's become a vegan so we're noticing it more. Unless you're doing it for health reasons, (and I suspect this stuff is still healthier than the meat versions) you can have all sorts, even fast food - bean burger and chips for eg - from exclusively vegan cafes. And a lot of regular places are also providing vegan options these days.

Iceland used to have a vegan brand but they've stopped but they still sell the stuff elsewhere in the shop. For eg 'no meat balls' and 'no meat burger' (latter one I guess was named after the first one was).

I'm very taste sensitive and couldn't stand the stuff like Edinburgh festival vegan stuff they used to have which was basically all lentils. If that's your sort of thing then go for it but otherwise you don't have to be a rabbit to be a vegan.

If you're going into this from vegetarianism this will sound gross - if you are then oat milk is your friend, tastes like milk - but if you're going into it from meat eating, try jackfruit or as I call it 'I can't believe it's not chicken'. It really is a fruit with the texture and taste of chicken! :o

I'm a meat eater but exclusively on oat milk now cos it tastes like milk but I don't feel sick afterwards.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 12:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
By "here", I assume that you mean London (U.K.)?

Sorry, that's what I meant, yes.

Selcouth1
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2019, 12:17 pm

Google Best Vegan Food Near Me. I would post the link but apparently I'm forbidden from doing that.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 12:21 pm

TUF wrote:
Lots of good vegan cafes in London. There are ones elsewhere too. Just read above that you're from London?

What I like is it seems like a lot has changed a lot over the last 5 years. Maybe this is because mum's become a vegan so we're noticing it more. Unless you're doing it for health reasons, (and I suspect this stuff is still healthier than the meat versions) you can have all sorts, even fast food - bean burger and chips for eg - from exclusively vegan cafes. And a lot of regular places are also providing vegan options these days.

Iceland used to have a vegan brand but they've stopped but they still sell the stuff elsewhere in the shop. For eg 'no meat balls' and 'no meat burger' (latter one I guess was named after the first one was).

I'm very taste sensitive and couldn't stand the stuff like Edinburgh festival vegan stuff they used to have which was basically all lentils. If that's your sort of thing then go for it but otherwise you don't have to be a rabbit to be a vegan.

If you're going into this from vegetarianism this will sound gross - if you are then oat milk is your friend, tastes like milk - but if you're going into it from meat eating, try jackfruit or as I call it 'I can't believe it's not chicken'. It really is a fruit with the texture and taste of chicken! :o

I'm a meat eater but exclusively on oat milk now cos it tastes like milk but I don't feel sick afterwards.

I am indeed from London, it says underneath my nickname at the side. :) Yes, a lot of vegan stuff with lentils or chickpeas I find offputting, but I guess that is just personal taste. I can't stand coconut oil either, it tastes industrial to me.

It's interesting that you say jackfruit is like chicken, I read it's used as a replacement for pulled pork. Either way, it has a meaty texture. I haven't been able to make a tasty jackfruit recipe yet though.

I do not like oat milk, but I appreciate that some find it a good alternative to milk. I tend to stick to rice milk or maybe almond.

Yes, everything has come a long way in the vegan food industry I think. I mean vegan soy cheese years ago was awful stuff. The Violife cheese is alright, but I don't especially enjoy it. There are nut-based cheeses out there now that use cheese cultures to give a real cheesy taste to vegan cheese, or "chease".

Do you recommend any vegan brands or vegan only cafes in London? :D

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 12:28 pm

If you want to do it seriously you may want to explore cooking your own stuff. There must be loads of books on this. The downside is that it will involve a lot of chopping and preparation. I used to be into growing my own beansprouts... dead easy and quick to do, even on a kitchen top. You can sprout almost anything (except kidney beans... poisonous) and they are off the scale as superfoods. I was a veggie for 30 years (not vegan) although I will eat minimal amounts of meat now... the biggest problem when I started was the panic... what should I eat now?

I used to make a mean vegan chilli... in fact it's the same as the chilli I make now except I add a bit of minced beef. There are also lots of vegetable curries you can make (if you use oil rather than ghee). Keep it all interesting and spicy (if you like that sort of thing) and keep it varied.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 12:32 pm

Trueno wrote:
If you want to do it seriously you may want to explore cooking your own stuff. There must be loads of books on this. The downside is that it will involve a lot of chopping and preparation. I used to be into growing my own beansprouts... dead easy and quick to do, even on a kitchen top. You can sprout almost anything (except kidney beans... poisonous) and they are off the scale as superfoods. I was a veggie for 30 years (not vegan) although I will eat minimal amounts of meat now... the biggest problem when I started was the panic... what should I eat now?

I used to make a mean vegan chilli... in fact it's the same as the chilli I make now except I add a bit of minced beef. There are also lots of vegetable curries you can make (if you use oil rather than ghee). Keep it all interesting and spicy (if you like that sort of thing) and keep it varied.

Hi Trueno. I tend to do stir fries and sandwiches mostly. I've been building up spices so I can make things more varied, and I want to try rice paper bacon. I was enquiring about the restaurants because I think it's great to eat out sometimes. Would you care to share your chilli recipe? :)

Last edited by smudge on 31 Jan 2019, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 12:32 pm

Selcouth1 wrote:
Google Best Vegan Food Near Me. I would post the link but apparently I'm forbidden from doing that.

Thank you.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 12:39 pm

smudge wrote:
calves being taken from their mothers, and their mothers crying out for days for their babies :( I couldn't see how it was ethical to purchase even dairy anymore..

Hate to be that guy, but there are some real horror stories to be had on the agrarian side of things, too.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 12:50 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
smudge wrote:
calves being taken from their mothers, and their mothers crying out for days for their babies :( I couldn't see how it was ethical to purchase even dairy anymore..

Hate to be that guy, but there are some real horror stories to be had on the agrarian side of things, too.

Please feel free to post them. The more informed I am the better. I do try to stay away from soy.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 12:58 pm

Stir fries and sandwiches sound good to me.

Everyone evolves their own chilli recipe. My main approach is to cook everything as slowly as possible, put as many tomatoes (canned) and tomato puree as possible.. it can't be too tomato-ey. Also a pinch of sugar to offset any bitterness in the tomatoes. Loads of cumin and pepper, and enough chilli powder to taste. Experiment with fresh chillis.

So basically, fry up one large onion and one or two cloves of garlic, add (say) two teaspoons of chilli powder, large teaspoon or more of cumin powder and some ground pepper. Drain and add tinned beans... I usually use red kidney beans and mix up into a wonderful goo. You may want to add some green peppers or maybe quorn mince or soya mince... try it both with or without. Just read the instructions... soya mince you pour hot water in and soak, quorn can go straight in but it absorbs moisture too much for me. Then one large tin of tomatoes and a whole load of puree. Pinch of sugar. Boil it up and let it bubble for a while adding just enough salt for your taste. Then it's best left cold for 24 hours to reach critical mass... it can even be frozen. Cook it up again... have it with rice, or tortilla chips or pitta piita bread or even a baked spud. Then decide how you can improve on it next time.

Hope I haven't forgotten anything, just getting over a cold and me brain is mush...

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 1:23 pm

smudge wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
smudge wrote:

Please feel free to post them. The more informed I am the better. I do try to stay away from soy.

Ever hear about warfarin and its derivatives? They're used in medicine as blood thinners. They're used in agriculture as a pesticide. Rats and the like eat the poison, and then slowly begin to bleed internally. They become bloated and sluggish, and start to suffer from dehydration. This is by design, because they'll leave under their own power to (slowly and painfully) seek out water, and then die away from the fields. Away from the fields meaning, most likely out in the local ecosystem, where their bloated, poisonous bodies will be eaten by the local wildlife. Local wildlife which more than likely includes birds, meaning that this slow-acting poison can now be spread by flight.

The primary target is rodents (primarily rats) and the typical secondary causalties are birds and scavengers (such as foxes). All of whom are arguably at least as intelligent and complex as a cow or a pig.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 12:31 pm

smudge wrote:

I am indeed from London, it says underneath my nickname at the side. :) Yes, a lot of vegan stuff with lentils or chickpeas I find offputting, but I guess that is just personal taste. I can't stand coconut oil either, it tastes industrial to me.

It's interesting that you say jackfruit is like chicken, I read it's used as a replacement for pulled pork. Either way, it has a meaty texture. I haven't been able to make a tasty jackfruit recipe yet though.

I do not like oat milk, but I appreciate that some find it a good alternative to milk. I tend to stick to rice milk or maybe almond.

Yes, everything has come a long way in the vegan food industry I think. I mean vegan soy cheese years ago was awful stuff. The Violife cheese is alright, but I don't especially enjoy it. There are nut-based cheeses out there now that use cheese cultures to give a real cheesy taste to vegan cheese, or "chease".

Do you recommend any vegan brands or vegan only cafes in London? :D

These two (junk food and cafes) articles might help. I've been to London once at a vegan only place (I think or a health place) which mum liked but I found the food too fancy and the place too bright. I can't remember it's name. Personally it wasn't aspie friendly but that depends of course on how light and taste sensitive you are. I had a banana from there though.

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/re ... 78011.html

and

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/re ... 78011.html (I hope this isn't stuff that's really expensive for every day sorry if it is)

The recipe book we're loving at the moment is called Bosh (warning, lots of ginger so adapt as you need to) and we also like Thug Kitchen. :) Bosh has a lot of British standby dishes - including modern British ones like 'no chicken tikka masala' - to vegan specifications as well as some foreign dishes in there as well. What I'd call regular food but vegan :)

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 12:32 pm

Trueno wrote:
Stir fries and sandwiches sound good to me.

Everyone evolves their own chilli recipe. My main approach is to cook everything as slowly as possible, put as many tomatoes (canned) and tomato puree as possible.. it can't be too tomato-ey. Also a pinch of sugar to offset any bitterness in the tomatoes. Loads of cumin and pepper, and enough chilli powder to taste. Experiment with fresh chillis.

So basically, fry up one large onion and one or two cloves of garlic, add (say) two teaspoons of chilli powder, large teaspoon or more of cumin powder and some ground pepper. Drain and add tinned beans... I usually use red kidney beans and mix up into a wonderful goo. You may want to add some green peppers or maybe quorn mince or soya mince... try it both with or without. Just read the instructions... soya mince you pour hot water in and soak, quorn can go straight in but it absorbs moisture too much for me. Then one large tin of tomatoes and a whole load of puree. Pinch of sugar. Boil it up and let it bubble for a while adding just enough salt for your taste. Then it's best left cold for 24 hours to reach critical mass... it can even be frozen. Cook it up again... have it with rice, or tortilla chips or pitta piita bread or even a baked spud. Then decide how you can improve on it next time.

Hope I haven't forgotten anything, just getting over a cold and me brain is mush...

Thank you. :) Gosh, 2 teapoons of chilli powder sounds like a lot! I might try your recipe one day.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 12:39 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Ever hear about warfarin and its derivatives? They're used in medicine as blood thinners. They're used in agriculture as a pesticide. Rats and the like eat the poison, and then slowly begin to bleed internally. They become bloated and sluggish, and start to suffer from dehydration. This is by design, because they'll leave under their own power to (slowly and painfully) seek out water, and then die away from the fields. Away from the fields meaning, most likely out in the local ecosystem, where their bloated, poisonous bodies will be eaten by the local wildlife. Local wildlife which more than likely includes birds, meaning that this slow-acting poison can now be spread by flight.

The primary target is rodents (primarily rats) and the typical secondary causalties are birds and scavengers (such as foxes). All of whom are arguably at least as intelligent and complex as a cow or a pig.

That sounds disgusting. Still, I guess humans being a lot bigger than rats, would be less likely to suffer from internal bleeding from the drug. Yet it's still a potential side effect when taken as a medicine. :skull: I'm gonna look up which foods they spray with it. Thanks.