This is what happens when it snows here.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 3:00 am

We just got our first real snowfall of the season besides a few flakes. It dumped nearly half a foot since Noon and this is what happens, without fail, every single time:

It snows so seldomly here that so many people don't know how to drive in it at all.. some are driving on Summer tires vs. all season or winters, with rear wheel drive cars.. muscle cars/supercars/trucks etc and it cripples the city.

Busses are all running 40-60mins behind, if they can even get up hills - they're sliding out in some places, so routes are just canceled sometimes.

I just cleared my car and shovelled the long driveway here at my Winter home.. hopefully I'm able to get out of this side street and the main roads are plowed/sanded/salted etc so I'm able to go to work in the morning! More importantly I've gotta manage to pick up my oldest God son after work, as well as my best friend and his son, my youngest God son, and get downtown before 7 for a hockey game we're going to. Something tells me we're going to have to get creative on the transportation plan and will have to allow for extra travel time. :/ Especially if people who can't drive in the snow (some newcomers here have literally never even seen snow before) don't stay off the roads tomorrow!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 7:36 pm

Are you near a main road that's well-traveled? Did you get ice, in addition to snow?

It's hard work shoveling a long driveway----but it's good exercise, too.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 7:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Are you near a main road that's well-traveled? Did you get ice, in addition to snow?

Kind of. This side street is level, but the other one is a hill.. it does get plowed, but since we only get snow a few days a year it's sometimes several hours before a plow comes.

No ice, just nice dry cold snow vs. the typical wet stuff we get! It was pretty easy to shovel so I shovelled the driveway, the road all the way across the street, the little old lady's driveway and walk across the street, and the path to the next door little old lady's car and cleared it etc last night.

Here's a shot I took last night from the top of the driveway of my Winter home (house sitting for my Aunt) before I started shovelling:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 7:50 pm

I feel like you will be okay getting to work tomorrow, provided it's not in some backcountry road.

How many centimetres of snow did you get?

If the temperature is minus 1 or 2, and there's sun, some snow does melt.

A whole day does wonders for, especially, main roads.

When NYC gets 6 inches of snow, there's usually few problems, even on secondary roads. But if one goes to a rural area on a big hill, then there might be problems.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 7:57 pm

We just got the first half of our first real snow here (about 3 inches so far, expecting more overnight).

I live close enough to an interstate to hear all the sirens as soon as there's only an inch or two.

Don't knock on all rear wheel drive/sports/muscle car drivers. I can take my Mustang through snow with no issues. I have lots of practice though.

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 7:58 pm

My sons nurse was in a car accident on her way to my house today

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 8:03 pm

I heard you had bad ice in Ontario.....

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 8:08 pm

I saw the picture. It looks like about 6-8 of snow. Like maybe 20 cm.

You probably shouldn’t have too much problems, unless it’s a big hill.

Like I said, a full day after a storm does wonders.

Main roads should be okay. Secondary roads would vary...but if not much incline, you should be okay.

Ice is much worse than snow.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 8:09 pm

My car got stuck in ice/snow thing today n after hrs i had to get a tow truck n it was v $$

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 8:11 pm

That sucks.

You should become a member of CAA.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 8:15 pm

I will google that. Btw u are a very good member of this site much like Raleigh u make it worth being here

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 8:17 pm

Thanks, Blooie :D

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 8:34 pm

I mean it you have such a nice way o making everything seem easygoing n light hearted n not confrontationalbut not demeaning or dismissive
Btw goldfish21 apologies about my previous (second last) post to u on the other thread i had clearly misinterpreted n projected

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 8:35 pm

I can relate. I live in GA where it NEVER snows. We had a 'snow-pocalypse' a few years ago. Literally a handful of inches ok it was nothing, but everyone freaked. All the schools and businesses shut down at the SAME TIME. The street my school was on has 5 schools on it plus a daycare so traffic was horrendous and noone knew how to drive. My dad came from Atlanta, almost ran out of gas because stations were out, and it took him 13 hours to get home for a 40 minute trip.
People + snow = stupidity and chaos (and no milk and bread lol)

Hope you do alright!

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 9:11 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Kind of. This side street is level, but the other one is a hill.. it does get plowed, but since we only get snow a few days a year it's sometimes several hours before a plow comes.

No ice, just nice dry cold snow vs. the typical wet stuff we get! It was pretty easy to shovel so I shovelled the driveway, the road all the way across the street, the little old lady's driveway and walk across the street, and the path to the next door little old lady's car and cleared it etc last night.

Here's a shot I took last night from the top of the driveway of my Winter home (house sitting for my Aunt) before I started shovelling:

It looks like my front yard 6-7 months of the year. I like the lighting in the picture. I'm much more of a night person than a day person.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 9:37 pm

Vancouver gets snow and cold temperatures every year....but rarely 20 cm in one storm. I believe that's about the average snow accumulation over an entire year.

Vancouver normally gets Minus 5 to Minus 10 Celsius weather once or twice a year. I've seen it about Minus 12, which is Plus 10 Fahrenheit--very cold even for New York City.

Because of what is called the "outflow" from the mountains to the north and from the Arctic regions. When this happens, an "Arctic Outflow Warning" is issued.

I've been watching the weather for years throughout the United States--and, to a certain extent, throughout the world.

Atlanta gets lots of ice storms. And they do get snow every year----but usually not very much. It is said that anywhere from Macon on north gets snow every year. 3 inches is a pretty decent snowstorm in Atlanta. Ice is a much bigger problem in Atlanta than snow.

The average January high in Atlanta is in the low-to-mid 50's, with lows just above freezing