Using "right" to mean "correct" is handedist

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 2:11 pm

^ Closely followed by the F-word, no doubt!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 2:17 pm

Trogluddite wrote:

Well...some Spanish speakers certainly seem to know how to use our F bomb.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 9:00 pm

Not to mention right handed scissors and equipment

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 6:01 am

Trogluddite wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
I have thought of it in terms of political right/ left though, and wondered about the origin.
Is handedness really what it derives from?

From seating arrangements originally. Around the time of the French Revolution, their parliament polarised into supporters of the King and supporters of a republic. They didn't like sitting next to each other much, so arranged themselves either side of the room - royalists to the right of the president, and the republicans to the left.

Interesting. Thanks, Trogluddite.

Trogluddite wrote:

You're not wrong! :lol:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 11:12 am

The equivelent to the English f word in German is "ficken" but they have borrowed the English f word into their language. I think they consider th English word a less vulgar alternative to their own f word.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 8:51 pm

NewTime wrote:
The equivelent to the English f word in German is "ficken" but they have borrowed the English f word into their language. I think they consider th English word a less vulgar alternative to their own f word.

Supposedly, the use of ficken to mean f u c k was itself a re-working of the Germanic word to have a vulgar meaning based on the English one.

More interestingly, the German word ficken itself has been re-borrowed into American English as fricking (more commonly frickin') as a politer alternative to the actual f-word. Notice the added R, often dropped G.

I don't have a frickin' clue!

Sometimes, fricking itself gets further corrupted to freaking.

I don't have a freakin' clue.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 7:20 am

Right! Well I, for one, will assert my right to claim that the hand on my right is the right hand to use for righteous tasks such as righting wrongs or reading rights, and that the hand that is left when the right hand is excluded is indeed the hand that is on the left, and this conviction haven't left me as of yet, and I am thusly left with it!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 10:11 am

Sometimes left handed people say "right" as morally good or correct

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 10:20 am

That's a bunch of baloney. Being right-handed does not mean you're "superior" to left-handed people, just like how Christians shouldn't be considered "superior" to Non-Christians. Same with blacks and whites, Autistics and Non-autistics, People who use foul language and people who don't, Pure-bloods and Muggle-borns/"Mud-bloods", etc.

That's just a chicken crap excuse just to make "righties" feel good about themselves while putting down "lefties" and ambidextrous people. That's just a form of narcissism and/or hubris.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 5:52 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
NewTime wrote:

Supposedly, the use of ficken to mean f u c k was itself a re-working of the Germanic word to have a vulgar meaning based on the English one.

More interestingly, the German word ficken itself has been re-borrowed into American English as fricking (more commonly frickin') as a politer alternative to the actual f-word. Notice the added R, often dropped G.

I don't have a frickin' clue!

Sometimes, fricking itself gets further corrupted to freaking.

I don't have a freakin' clue.

The American English word "fricken" is not borrowed from German. It just happens to sound a little like "ficken" . The American euphemism for the F bomb is probably cut from whole cloth with no antecedents, but it might derive from the word "friction" ( doing the nasty does involve "pump friction" after all).

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 12:52 pm

If being left-handed means the right side of your brain is dominant, then only lefties are in their right mind.

When I was younger I once saw a card that said "I finally found a birthday card for a 'lefty' like you!", and it opens up on the left side and the words Happy Birthday are spelled backwards. It says underneath (written normally), "Well they tried. Those right-handers just don't understand..." :lol:

If obesity is such a problem in the US (and Canada), then maybe we should stop saying things like "a piece of cake" or "easy as pie". Those are triggers for people who are actually working hard to lose weight. We should say "A piece of celery" or "easy as low carb artificially-sweetened gluten-free pie-like product". :roll:

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 2:04 pm

If you are right-handed your right hand is the right hand to use and your left hand is the hand that is left. If you are left-handed your left hand is the right hand to use and your right hand is the hand that is left.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 8:40 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The American English word "fricken" is not borrowed from German. It just happens to sound a little like "ficken" . The American euphemism for the F bomb is probably cut from whole cloth with no antecedents, but it might derive from the word "friction" ( doing the nasty does involve "pump friction" after all).

The word is actually fricking or frickin', -ING, often a dropped G, on the end (NOT -EN as you wrote). It might be incorrectly spelled fricken sometimes. Amazingly popular in the Germanic upper mid-west and really came into prominence after two world wars involving said country.

But I could be mistaken. What makes you say this minced oath comes from friction? Is this something you've researched, or is it just guess work?

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 11:39 am

There's the word "heck". A folk etymology I've seen states that it is a blend of "hell" and the f-word, but I'd say it originates as a minced oath of "hell" by altering the word.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 10:58 am

The whole talk about "fricken" reminds me of an episode of the Golden Girls where Rose starts to tell a story about her cousin, whose last name happened to be Fricken, but Dorothy interrupts her and says "I don't want to hear about your Fricken cousin." And then the audience went hysterical because "frickin'" was still a taboo word to say on TV back then. :lol:

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 11:46 am

Using "straight" to mean "forward" is homophobic.
:roll: