Good Will Hunting MBTI (Spoilers)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2019, 5:28 am

Will Hunting: at times, early on, he does seem more like either an INTP or ENTP, overall I believe he's an INTJ. Here's why: he uses Fi and extraverts thinking, and he also uses Se quite a bit. IF it were only Se, then it could be used as the extreme function of an ENTP, or if it were only Fi, then it could be the extreme function of the INTP, but it's both. Also, he seems to have Fe-PoLR, and there are only two types which do, the ISTJ and the INTJ. While his memory is exceptional, so was Tesla's. Si values memory, an perhaps for those with bad memory they have to think in terms of abstraction more to cope and are intuitive thereby, IDK, but memory itself is not Si but the valuing of memory, nostalgia, routine, duty, authority. Will does not value duty, routine, nor authority, though at some points he seems nostalgic admittedly. However, I'm fairly certain he's not an ISTJ on the basis of the other Si qualities lacking. He does use Ne at times, but without Fe, making him seem like an ENTP without Fe at times, which is a stress mode for INTJs, INTJs having ENTP as their shadow, id, unconscious, or whatever name your preferred school of thought uses. His reasoning for not wanting to let Skylar see his dwelling is an Se fear, as well as fearing the possibilities of how she'd react, which I think fits with him being an INTJ. Living in crappy situations throughout his life, he probably had developed his shadow functions more than his primary functions, and such would lead to seeing his ENTP shadow more than for spoiled INTJs which are born into luxury and rarely have to deal with stress, such as Mr. Darcy or other stereotypical INTJs in fiction which show only the ego alone.

Skylar: Fi in ego and extraverted, so either ESFP or ENFP, and she is nostalgic and wants to be dutiful and study the material for herself, which might indicate Si in ego rather than Si-PoLR. She doesn't seem to particularly value Se, though neither is she using Ne as much either (with exception at the toy shop), but in a stressful environment they would tend to be bogged down in Si-mode, being like a quasi-ISTJ out of necessity to get the work done. So probably ENFP.

Chuckie: at first I had thought he was an ESTP, but given his conman routine in an interview, I think perhaps he's actually an ENTP.

Prof. Gerald: he's also an Fe-PoLR type, but he values Si and has Ni as his extreme function, he's ISTJ, and a fairly spoiled one at that.

Psychiatrist Sean: though perhaps I'm slightly biased knowing Robin Williams was, :( , an ENFP, I think his character here too is one. Ne-hero is rather obvious, as is his Si nostalgia, and he quite obviously has Fi and Te in ego, so yeah, ENFP.
Clark (the snobby yuppie at the bar): high Si, and low Fe, but not particularly high Fi either. I think he's probably an ESTJ. Unsure though, could be ENTJ, but his spiel about “you'll be flipping burgers” reeks of Si nonsense about class and having to go the proper route to wealth which has been sabotaged via the reasoning of the Bennett hypothesis into being debt enslavement. So, probably not an Ni user, whereas Will shows Ni in his prediction regarding Scott's particular behavior rather than quoting a trope about how the poor will always serve the rich in effect.
Assistant Prof. Tom: seems to have Fe in ego as well as Si, though not much interaction is shown apart from him talking with will telling Will how lucky he is for Gerald to have noticed him and taken him under his wing, which was right before Will set his papers on fire which Gerald rushed to put out. I think Tom is probably actually an INTP, because he's not extraverted and doesn't seem like an ISFJ, but again I am uncertain from just that interaction alone, but it seems the most probable.

I'm an author: https://www.amazon.com/author/benfournier

See my novel, Fullness Of Time:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N91615Z

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2019, 10:06 am

Link: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Debunked.

Quote:
... the MBTI is about as useful as a polygraph for detecting lies. One researcher even called it an “act of irresponsible armchair philosophy.” When it comes to accuracy, if you put a horoscope on one end and a heart monitor on the other, the MBTI falls about halfway in between ... the MBTI does not give comprehensive information on the four domains it does sample.
While it may make for a fun 'game', there is not much evidence to back up the claim that the MTBI is an effective diagnostic tool.

The Big Five Personality Domains test is magnitudes more effective.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2019, 11:18 am

Fnord wrote:
Quote:
... the MBTI is about as useful as a polygraph for detecting lies. One researcher even called it an “act of irresponsible armchair philosophy.” When it comes to accuracy, if you put a horoscope on one end and a heart monitor on the other, the MBTI falls about halfway in between ... the MBTI does not give comprehensive information on the four domains it does sample.
While it may make for a fun 'game', there is not much evidence to back up the claim that the MTBI is an effective diagnostic tool.

The Big Five Personality Domains test is magnitudes more effective.

The Big5 is just 16personalities with different letters, and doesn't have any depth to it. No cognitive functions like socionics or Jungian analytical psychology.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2019, 11:21 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Quote:
While it may make for a fun 'game', there is not much evidence to back up the claim that the MTBI is an effective diagnostic tool. The Big Five Personality Domains test is magnitudes more effective.
The Big5 is just 16personalities with different letters, and doesn't have any depth to it. No cognitive functions like socionics or Jungian analytical psychology.
When a real psychologist debunks MBTI, and then posts their reasons in a psychology journal, I will tend to believe the psychologist over any ordinary member of a social website.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2019, 1:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Quote:
While it may make for a fun 'game', there is not much evidence to back up the claim that the MTBI is an effective diagnostic tool. The Big Five Personality Domains test is magnitudes more effective.
When a real psychologist debunks MBTI, and then posts their reasons in a psychology journal, I will tend to believe the psychologist over any ordinary member of a social website.

I don't. It is inherently a soft science anyway and their status means nothing. College is too easy and even people incapable of spelling and basic math seem to pass through as long as they turn in their homework in a timely manner and agree to be proper debt slaves, so no I don't value that. Either way, whatever subset of people with overpriced toilet paper for their name think Big5 is better than MBTI, they're wrong.

It's the same basic thing, just with an extra field added. It's practically plagiarized and pretended to be more via association with ivory towers. Certainly would appeal to types with high Si, but probably not for any others if they bother to look into it and see that it's just another form of MBTI, focusing on the letters of the shorthand alone and having an extra field added to pretend it's "unique" from the previous thing. But it's not, here's how it relates:

* I & E are R & S: introversion is reserved, extroversion is social.
* N & S are I & N: intuition is inquisitive, sensing is non-curious.
* T & F are E & A: thinking is egocentric, feeling is accommodating.
* J & P are O & U: judging is organized, perceiving is unstructured.
* t & a are L & C: the extra field, used on 16personalities, is the main addition to Big5, doubling the 16 types to 32 effectively, and turbulent is limbic and assertive is calm, probably relating to tendency to loop or get into stress modes otherwise.

In MBTI, my own type is INTJ-t, and in the SLOAN code version it's RLOEI.
For an INTJ-a, they would be an RCOEI.
For an ENFP-t, they're an SLUAI.
For an ENFP-a, they're an SCUAI.
Etc.

It's just the same basic thing, dressed up in the Emperor's New Clothes, but since it's "official" it floats with the types that value certification and state based authority more, which I don't.

Underneath the shorthand letters are the cognitive functions, INTJ = Ni>Te>Fi>Se>>Ne>Ti>Fe>Si, and way more detail and depth than a mere test that gives a ballpark can show.