How to deal with religious solicitors?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 4:23 am

So there is one annoying thing about my newish(we've been here a while now) apartment. These Jehovahs witnesses or something keep coming here and knocking on doors.

I mean the management told us that soliciting is not allowed, so perhaps the next time I could at least go to the management office and inform them about the solicitors. But yeah they have knocked on the door 3 to 4 times in the past couple months. One time I was home by myself and heard the knock and went to the peep hole, looked like they were religious solicitors so I didn't answer the door. Then another time they came and knocked and my boyfriend got the door and he told them we weren't interested. But just the other day they came and knocked on our door again...I didn't answer the door but did peek out to see who it was and it was those same a**holes. I was in the bathroom pooping so I was also mad about being interrupted in the bathroom with the knocking.

So IDK, maybe next time I am just home I should answer the door and tell them to go away...but my boyfriend pretty much already said that to them so not so sure I should be so civil about it. I am thinking about telling them 'Look we're not interested, we worship the lord satan' but IDK that does seem a little juvenile so maybe I should just say 'look, if I wanted to find out about your religion I would go to your church, so can you please stop knocking on my door in the mornings, I am really not interested.

I guess I could try that and if they do it again, tell the management about them.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 5:50 am

We once lived in a neighborhood which was considered a "mission field" by a couple of Christian sects, including the Jehovah's Witnesses. I'd simply smile, and tell them 'no thank you; I'm Buddhist'. That has worked well enough for me.

On one occasion, I was watching a neighbors little dog, which after the above exchange, ran out of the door and was racing around the yard, and out in the street. Despite having been rebuffed, the two Jehovah's Witnesses dropped their bicycles and satchels and started running full throttle in their khakis, neckties, and bicycle helmets, chasing the dog until we caught him and got him safely back inside. I thanked them, they smiled and waved, and went on their way.
Nice folks.

I think of it like someone expressing romantic or sexual interest in me; everyone (including LGBT folk) has the right to politely inquire, just as I have an equally valid right to politely decline. We all have to live on this world together; the more we can hospitable we can be and the less we get our hackles up over trivial matters the more harmonious our life will be.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 9:41 am

Piobaire wrote:
We once lived in a neighborhood which was considered a "mission field" by a couple of Christian sects, including the Jehovah's Witnesses. I'd simply smile, and tell them 'no thank you; I'm Buddhist'. That has worked well enough for me.

On one occasion, I was watching a neighbors little dog, which after the above exchange, ran out of the door and was racing around the yard, and out in the street. Despite having been rebuffed, the two Jehovah's Witnesses dropped their bicycles and satchels and started running full throttle in their khakis, neckties, and bicycle helmets, chasing the dog until we caught him and got him safely back inside. I thanked them, they smiled and waved, and went on their way.
Nice folks.

I think of it like someone expressing romantic or sexual interest in me; everyone (including LGBT folk) has the right to politely inquire, just as I have an equally valid right to politely decline. We all have to live on this world together; the more we can hospitable we can be and the less we get our hackles up over trivial matters the more harmonious our life will be.

I think this is the best post I've read of Piobaire's on this site. If somebody has taken the time to come to your door and talk to you about matters that are so close to them as these, you owe them the respect of, at the very least, politely declining. Like Piobaire, I've found Jehovah's Witnesses (and Mormons, I might add) to be some of the nicest (if most gullible) people I've ever met.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 10:26 am

I have politely answered their questions and told them I don't discuss religion with people I don't know at my front door. I'll gladly take a leaflet [immediately placed in my recycling bin] and close the door.

Last time I had a fairly bullying older man showing a younger man the ropes, so to speak. He was very persistent and asked to come in but in the end I had to be firm and say to him I was concerned he wasn't listening to me when I said I don't discuss religion with people I don't know then closed the door slowly.

No more visits.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 10:56 am

If I know that they are coming, I greet them at the door while holding on to my 2nd Edition Dungeon Masters’ Guide.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Mar 2019, 11:07 am

I would be nice at least the 1st time but if they keep coming & not taking No for an answer, I would get pretty annoyed. Every few months a couple women come to our door asking if any Spanish people live here or if any Spanish speaking people live here. I say No & they leave. I have NO clue what they want with em. They do seem nice at least so I try & be nice to them. I could understand them coming yearly but every few months is getting kinda annoying, especially if I'm sleeping or something when they knock.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 3:04 pm

A neighbor has a sign on his door reading “no solicitors”. Keep it simple. You don’t want to confuse them.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 3:18 pm

You could try to convert them to the lord of darkness. That would either make them leave or it could drive them to make it a mission to save you. Okay, forget I said anything.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 4:04 pm

The title of this thread is particularly amusing to Britons for the reason that "solicitor" means "lawyer" over here. :lol:

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 4:24 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
The title of this thread is particularly amusing to Britons for the reason that "solicitor" means "lawyer" over here. :lol:

:D I was like...well I guess some solicitors are probably religious but how would you even know.

I have JWs come to the door about once every six months and they are very polite. I take the leaflet but I explain I

am C of E, so they know I am not up for grabs.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 4:30 pm

Even though I am Catholic, I pretend I am also a Jehovah's Witness whenever one of them knocks on my door.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 4:52 pm

Put on your best Krampus costume before opeining the door.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 5:48 pm

I don't open my door to anyone I don't know. My dog will rebuff any unwanted callers.

If I did have to speak to them, however, I would politely take their leaflet, advise them I'm active (also C of E), and wish them a good day.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 9:14 pm

Legally speaking, solicitation is only when someone is trying to actually sell you something. If they aren't, a no solicitors sign does not apply.
You could always try asking them not to come back.
Tell them straight up if you're not interested. Be truthful.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2019, 11:26 pm

I actually ended up getting them to talk about Witchcraft with me once lol

I haven't had any since then.

My mother is hostile when they come to the door. She polite in greeting them but once they say what they want, she will flat out tell them that she doesn't appreciate being bothered in her home with rhetoric. It's rude and a violation of her privacy. Do not come here again.