Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 7:05 pm

I was told that if you put 10 ml of bleach in 8 oz. of water and then use solution through a waterpik tip to irrigate your gums and flush out pockets, you'll have better dental health.
Anyone tried this out? Is this healthy? (I mean it's bleach!) Does bleach belong in your soft tissues?

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 2:41 am

I cannot answer your question because I have no knowledge on that matter but it sounds really unhealthy. Even the smallest amount of bleach touching your skin can cause some chemical reaction that stinks immediately. That means the tissue is damaged, doesn't it? Couldn't that cause cancer or something in the long term?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 6:22 pm

bleach in your mouth never sounds like a good idea.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 7:21 pm

Bleach is a dilute sodium hypochlorite solution. Even in small amounts sodium hypochlorite can be an irritant (especially in people sensitive to chemicals, such as myself), and it can also react with several other chemicals to form harmful byproducts. I would not recommend it.

Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) would probably work, but I'm no microbiologist. It is used in some toothpastes.

StanleyRoark
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Mar 2019, 5:06 am

I have never tried bleach. What is your bleach composition?? The too acidic solution is very bad for the teeth, it will damage the enamel, although you will temporarily whiten your teeth. I only use Waterpik water flosser twice a day, after my big meal. It is enough to do this. Too much care is overkill.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 5:09 am

I suggest not drinking bleach.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 5:52 am

^ I second that , I drank a cup of bleach as a kid and was hospitalised , it burned for days :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Mar 2019, 6:47 am

SaveFerris wrote:
^ I second that , I drank a cup of bleach as a kid and was hospitalised , it burned for days :roll:
I heard of a guy who tried to commit suicide by drinking bleach. He had to have some kinda surgery to replace a bigger tube in his body or throat with a smaller one. I forget what the tubes were called. He can only eat food in a very small amount at a time & he has to wear a colonoscopy bag.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 6:54 am

nick007 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
I heard of a guy who tried to commit suicide by drinking bleach. He had to have some kinda surgery to replace a bigger tube in his body or throat with a smaller one. I forget what the tubes were called. He can only eat food in a very small amount at a time & he has to wear a colonoscopy bag.

8O It wasn't that bad for me , the bleach was given to me as a drink as the adult thought is was squash ( I've always thought my family wanted me dead :lol: ). I was just monitored in hospital and given lots of milk to drink , I have no idea if it did any lasting damage but I have had gut problems ever since.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

little gator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2019, 7:00 am

Bleach burns. If it's drunk, it will burn your insides. Even thoguth some ppl clean with it bare handed, they will gte micl skin burns(i knwo I do). I'm sure it iwll damageyoru gums if not your teeth. Ask a dentist what to clena iwht if toothpaste isn't adequate. If you want white teeth, get a whitenign product, though they weaken the teeth. Teeth are not natuarlly white.

working on getting diagnosed either way

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Mar 2019, 7:06 am

Don't you have 3% hydrogen peroxide sold as a disinfectant? It's the same substance that is used in bleaches but more dissolved.

My dentist friend once advised me to dissolve it even more (I don't remember the ratio, sorry) and rinse my infected mouth with it.
It didn't burn (too little concentration), it reacted with infected tissue producing horrible smell and it helped getting rid of the infection in one day.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 10:46 am

Bleach is a disinfectant. Adding a small quantity of bleach to polluted water can make the water drinkable. Probably the operative word is concentration. According to the CDC: "Add 1/8 teaspoon (8 drops or about 0.75 milliliters) of household liquid bleach to 1 gallon (16 cups) of clear water".
Source: Make Water Safe

Quote:
I was told that if you put 10 ml of bleach in 8 oz. of water and then use solution through a waterpik tip to irrigate your gums and flush out pockets, you'll have better dental health.
That is a fairly high concentration. I might do it if I wanted to periodically disinfect the waterpik of germs, but I would probably not use that concentration to disinfect my mouth.