Hobby would you get into if time, money weren’t issues?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Mar 2019, 11:54 am

Map84 wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
I would like to build a miniature train model of my city as it was 100 years ago or maybe longer. I'd like to include the river and various buildings that are still there. Then, when I've got the ancient place down pat, I'd like to add little Metro signs from today, in the appropriate places. It would take a lot of research. It can't be done though - the smallest train gauge would make the project bigger than any basement.

Have you considered T Gauge, far as I know that's very small. Combining that with perhaps just the central couple of square miles of the city and you might be on to something?

I did try that. Since I lived downtown all my adult life, I squared off about a mile. But at the hobby shop, the guy got very excited because he had tried that, and couldn't find a gauge small enough. We went through it together, talking like two pals with the same wish, and he was very specific. He named all the gauges but I don't remember, so I don't know if he named T but if it existed then he would have. The last thing he did was show me a piece of the smallest gauge and said he had tried, "But you can't even get to Guy Street." It was exciting to talk to somebody the same as me. I wanted to keep all the detail, that was the problem. You have to give up chunks.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 12:04 pm

I have plenty of time for my hobbies, but not always the money. But I really wish I could earn a lot of money with at least one of my hobbies.

Actually, my drawing cartoons is more than a hobby. In fact referring it as a hobby is kind of an insult. It's my lifelong passion and I'd be nothing without my cartoons.

I'm not drawing any cartoons right now, of course. I guess that means I *am* nothing right now. :lol:

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2019, 2:33 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I have plenty of time for my hobbies, but not always the money. But I really wish I could earn a lot of money with at least one of my hobbies.

Actually, my drawing cartoons is more than a hobby. In fact referring it as a hobby is kind of an insult. It's my lifelong passion and I'd be nothing without my cartoons.

I'm not drawing any cartoons right now, of course. I guess that means I *am* nothing right now. :lol:

I've an idea, you could make cartoons for certain subjects like pop culture or politics to try and get more keywords(so people find your work easier). How about the illustration section of istockphoto? You earn money each time someone downloads your work.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Mar 2019, 4:52 am

I'm mostly satisfied with the hobbies I have which are watching TV, spending time with my girlfriend, listening to music, spending time online like on this forum, & playing video-games some except I do get board with them some but there's nothing else I really wanna do that could be considered a hobby. If collecting counts, but I don't consider my knife/blade collecting a hobby, I wouldn't mind collecting some Star Trek stuff. I have a few things but I wouldn't mind having a lot more assuming I had the space & money wasn't an issue. & since I listed spending time with my girlfriend as a hobby I guess I could say I would LOVE to spend some time with my celeb crush too & I would most likely need some money to figure out a way to do that.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 5:52 am

I'd like to travel the world, ride all kinds of rides, participate in all kinds of activities as much as possible, get the best possible internet connection and watch all shows and movies, and focus at learning more kinds of arts and crafts.

One of my hobby of a special interest can get some profit. Except... I don't have the time. If only sleep isn't a need, nor does the limitations of the body.
My job is a 8-6 (NOT 9-5) job with half if not third quarters as much average pay.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 6:07 am

This will probably have people questioning how girly I am, I don't care.

Making dolls houses and making little furniture for them. I'm dyspraxic so a lot of it would be just painting and things like that. I'd try to make houses I've been in and houses I've lived in and houses I've read about. All in miniature.

Trouble is 1 it costs a fortune 2 it takes a lot of time 3 even one dolls' house is a massive space invader in a little one roomed cabin like mine. I'd need a mansion and then there'd be pressure, internal and external, to invite people to go and have a look at the dolls' houses. Because in my ideal world, they'd be perfect replicas.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 6:17 am

Horses, ponies maybe hippotherapy, but definately something equine

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 4:04 pm

I'd like to get into making mosaic tile art, but I don't have the resources to make the initial investment to get the tools and materials I would need.

I mean this sort of thing:

Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 4:05 pm

Amity wrote:
Horses, ponies maybe hippotherapy, but definately something equine

Ooh, that too. I've always wanted to live on a farm/ranch and work with horses, ever since I was a little girl.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 5:03 pm

lifetimes of curiosities come to mind.

would seek training in certain martial art disciplines... wing chun, taiji quan, shaolin white crane, kyūdō, and yagyū shinkage-ryū kenjutsu.

that, and learning, or continuing, certain languages... japanese, mandarin chinese, cantonese chinese, thai, vietnamese, and korean.

would probably also like traveling/living/working/collecting-recipes throughout asia, learning some musical instruments, having horses, and sailing boats.

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2019, 5:50 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
I'd like to get into making mosaic tile art, but I don't have the resources to make the initial investment to get the tools and materials I would need.

I don't know for sure but I'd think you could get a Dremel multi tool(no brand versions are often almost as good if you're saving cash), chop up old bits of tile then adhere them and grout. I can't see it costing much at all? :)

Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 5:55 pm

Map84 wrote:

I don't know for sure but I'd think you could get a Dremel multi tool(no brand versions are often almost as good if you're saving cash), chop up old bits of tile then adhere them and grout. I can't see it costing much at all? :)

I don't have any disposable income right now, so costing pretty much anything is too much. All my money right now is budgeted for food and shelter.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 5:59 pm

I lack talent, money and space but I'd love to get into that

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 1:12 am

Hi Kara,
If I was in this category I would likely fit in something similar to the mosaic art (They are nice samples) in between the mucking out lol.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 1:29 am

Get every warhammer 40k army, get someone to pro paint them

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2019, 4:26 am

enz wrote:
Get every warhammer 40k army, get someone to pro paint them

I know warhammer is a lot different now, and 40k always was, but I recall as a kid in the 90's painting Warhammer Fantasy armies, I've still not recovered from painting a hundred (identical, plastic) goblin warriors.