Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Myrtonos
Raven
Raven

24 Mar 2019, 4:47 am

While I am not particularly keen on editing other users user pages on any wiki, I did edit user pages of a few ex-administrators, as per Wikipedia's user page guidelines and in particular, what one may not have on one's user page.
I explained the edits but they were reverted mostly with the edit summary "unnecessary" not one that addresses the summary of my edits to those userpages.

Myrtonos
Raven
Raven

27 Mar 2019, 7:22 am

I bumped this thread but still, no replies.:(

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2019, 8:11 am

Myrtonos wrote:
I bumped this thread but still, no replies.:(

maybe because most of us don't quite get it, I haven't ever edited a wiki page (though I've vague memories of somehow suggesting a change?). I know every change goes through lots of reviews, if you look at the amendments to pages you can see the reasons, sometimes they're very petty, I wouldn't take it to heart if a lot of yours have been reverted back, if most changes stuck then every troll in the world would be on it making things up!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

Myrtonos
Raven
Raven

27 Mar 2019, 6:25 pm

But the founder of this site was one of the early contributors to Wikipedia.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2019, 3:23 am

There aren't a lot of people here who have substantial experience editing Wikipedia, though. That's probably why it's difficult to get responses here on the topic.

In response to your original post, it's not usually necessary to change the content of an admin's user page once they become inactive. A bureaucrat will perform the necessary procedural removal of admin privileges behind the scenes. While it is possible for someone to subsequently edit their user pages, it's not typically done without getting that user's permission first.

Personally I would strongly discourage editing anyone else's user page without their permission, unless you can prove why it would be necessary (for example, if an inactive admin still has a template or category on their user page that places them in an active admin category). Alternatively, you can always discuss it with the editor who reverted your previous edits, or get further advice at the WP teahouse (they're really helpful for any editing-related questions on Wikipedia). Hope this helps.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Myrtonos
Raven
Raven

01 May 2019, 8:10 am

If the user is no longer an administrator, why should their user page still say there are one?