david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2009, 5:11 pm

They ran out of zeros. But, according to my system monitor:

93 KB (yes as in kilo) download
17 KB upload
835 ms latency

If hughes.net was anime, it would be Skeletor's anorexic sister.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 6:16 pm

david_42 wrote:
They ran out of zeros. But, according to my system monitor:

93 KB (yes as in kilo) download
17 KB upload
835 ms latency

If hughes.net was anime, it would be Skeletor's anorexic sister.

I'd upgrade to another internet service provider or close limewire, frostwire, ares etc.
Might find that the speedtest results might turn out better :D

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 9:08 pm

Is this good or bad for comcast ; IDK ?

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 4:22 am

Mdyar wrote:

Is this good or bad for comcast ; IDK ?
awesome lowest ping i have seen

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 6:06 am

Some people have high DL speeds AND high ping ... 8O For gaming, it's all about the ping, baby 8)

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2009, 6:22 pm

Hala wrote:
Hala wrote:

I did the test again and this is my speed now:
And this is probably the best it's been all day. :roll:

Aaaand, I did it again:

I don't know anything about computers but seeing as it took me roughly 5 minutes to load google, I'm guessing that that 'ping' isn't good. :( Any suggestions on how to improve it?

lau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 7:36 pm

Hala wrote:
I don't know anything about computers but seeing as it took me roughly 5 minutes to load google, I'm guessing that that 'ping' isn't good. :( Any suggestions on how to improve it?

The "ping" has no real bearing on download speed. It measures how responsive a connection is. You should see nothing greater than 200ms, say. Your "ping" of over four seconds indicates an abysmal connection.

You should complain to Virgin.

I doubt that you are only entitled to 1.6Mb/s download. My ISP says I should get "up to 8Mb/s" - which means they could give me a 0Mb/s speed. In fact, I get just over 6Mb/s, which is a tolerable shortfall. My upload manages close to the contracted 384Kb/s. Your upload now shows as just 10Kb/s, which is ridiculous.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 6:59 am

For $60+/month, it oughta be fast!

For me, upload speed is what matters. I uploaded 387Mb in 27 minutes the other day.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 7:26 am

I tested all 3 of my computers. My old iMac, sitting beside this computer, got 17.48Mb/s, while the laptop downstairs got only about 9.5. Upload and ping tests were pretty consistent.

What factors influence download speed? All 3 computers are hard-wired (ethernet) to a Netgear router, though the downstairs computer is attached via a 25 foot cable. In computer speeds, this one has dual 533Mhz processors, the Imac a single 400MHz, the laptop a single 500Mhz. Memory: This computer 1 gig, the iMac 640megs, and the downstairs laptop only 256 megs.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 7:54 am

I wasn't sure exactly what cable length is actually recommended, but this suggests that 100 metres is fine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100BASE-TX#100BASE-TX

Processor speeds, etc are just about irrelevant.

You could try replacing the long cable... maybe... as perhaps it is damaged and some point, or travels to closely to a mains cable? I doubt that that would have any effect, but there wouldn't be too bit a hassle, checkimng it out. Maybe just as a temporary measure.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 6:46 pm

ed wrote:
I tested all 3 of my computers. My old iMac, sitting beside this computer, got 17.48Mb/s, while the laptop downstairs got only about 9.5. Upload and ping tests were pretty consistent.

What factors influence download speed? All 3 computers are hard-wired (ethernet) to a Netgear router, though the downstairs computer is attached via a 25 foot cable. In computer speeds, this one has dual 533Mhz processors, the Imac a single 400MHz, the laptop a single 500Mhz. Memory: This computer 1 gig, the iMac 640megs, and the downstairs laptop only 256 megs.

On the laptop, your network adapter is probably set to work at 10mb/s, instead of 100, or 1000. Network cards and routers can be set to run at 10mb, 100mb, or 1gb speeds.

edit to add that, not all network adapters run at 1gb/s, and the really old ones dont even run at 100mb/s, it all depends on what you have, but 10/100 is the most common

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 7:08 pm

DL = 6.06 Mb/s

UL = .32 Mb/s

Those who know, don't speak.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 7:15 pm

I pay $66 a month, for 6 MB service from Windstream, and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a faster service, at about the same price(or less)?

I could go do some research, but what fun would that be? This is a forum, so we need stuff to talk about. *pats self on back*LOL

Those who know, don't speak.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 7:15 pm

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 7:40 pm

jawbrodt wrote:
I pay $66 a month, for 6 MB service from Windstream, and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a faster service, at about the same price(or less)?

I could go do some research, but what fun would that be? This is a forum, so we need stuff to talk about. *pats self on back*LOL

I live in central PA, I have Atlantic Broadband and have a 8mb/s connection and only pay half of what you pay ($30 a month). I looked it up and Windstream is majorly ripping you off, as there 12mb/s connection is only $40 a month, and there 6mb/s like you have is only $35
I would call them up and conplain
http://www.windstream.com/residential/broadband/

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 7:47 pm

That site is cool. Confusing though because my speed was slow to average when connected to the cities closest to me but I got ridiculously fast speeds when connected to cities on the other side of the world. One time it told me I could download a movie in 2 minutes. TWO MINUTES! That would be awesome!