Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Domensiclivnaphorum
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2020, 11:12 am

Can anyone find a study showing by how much and if individuals with AS are more likely than their neurotypical counterparts to report abuse to for instance a trusted person to whom they feel close to

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 2:06 am

These are two studies I found. I don't think either exactly details how likely people with ASD are to report abuse themselves, but their results show that autistic people may be more likely to be abused. I couldn't find studies specifically based on how likely an autistic person is to report abuse against themselves compared to typically developing peers.

Study based on autistic adults and their likeliness to face abuse: Victimization and Persecution Experiences of Adults With Autism
Abstract:

This study aimed to describe the self-reported experiences of childhood and adult victimization and perpetration in adults with autism spectrum conditions (ASC) compared to a matched sample, and how victimization and perpetration are associated with autism-related difficulties. Forty-five adults with ASC and 42 adults without ASC completed questionnaires regarding violence victimization and perpetration, emotion regulation, and sociocommunicative competence. Participants with ASC reported experiencing, as children, more overall victimization; specifically, more property crime, maltreatment, teasing/emotional bullying, and sexual assault by peers, compared to participants without ASC. Participants with ASC also reported experiencing more teasing/emotional bullying in adulthood and greater sexual contact victimization. No significant differences were found between groups on perpetration. Sociocommunicative ability and emotion regulation deficits did not explain the heightened risk for victimization. Individuals with ASC have an increased vulnerability to violence victimization, which speaks to the need for interventions, and proactive prevention strategies.

Study about autistic children and their likeliness to face abuse: A population-based examination of maltreatment referrals and substantiation for children with autism spectrum disorder
Abstract:
Children with disabilities experience elevated rates of maltreatment, but little is known about the interaction of children with autism spectrum disorder with child protection systems. A population-based dataset of 24,306 children born in 2008 in Tennessee, which included 387 children with autism spectrum disorder identified through the Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring network, was linked with state child protection records. Rates of maltreatment referrals, screening for further action, and substantiated maltreatment were examined for children with versus without autism spectrum disorder. Significantly more children with autism spectrum disorder (17.3%) than without (7.4%) were referred to the Child Abuse Hotline. Children with autism spectrum disorder were less likely than children without autism spectrum disorder to have referrals screened in for further action (62% vs 91.6%, respectively), but substantiated maltreatment rates were similar across groups (3.9% vs 3.4%, respectively). Girls versus boys with autism spectrum disorder were more likely to have substantiated maltreatment (13.6% vs 1.9%, respectively). The high percentage of children with autism spectrum disorder referred for allegations of maltreatment, the differential pattern of screening referrals in for further action, and the high levels of substantiated maltreatment of girls with autism spectrum disorder highlights the need for enhanced training and knowledge of the complex issues faced by children with autism spectrum disorder, their families, and state welfare agencies.

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2020, 6:29 pm

I'd imagine,many individuals on the spectrum,don't report abuse,cause they don't like stress,conflict and drama,etc

So any studies done,would be inconclusive.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 11:42 am

It doesn't surprise me that autistic people are more likely to be abused. Their families and caregivers have an agenda to scare the autism out of them, so they use harsh words and/or inflict physical pain. I know about the harsh words. Believe me. There was a time that my mum's harsh words caused me to distance myself in the summer, 4 years ago.