Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 4:50 pm

Is it illegal to copy a key without permission?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 5:14 pm

Yes, technically. However, if your landlord copies a key to the apartment you live in, keep in mind that it is your landlord's apartment, your landlord's key, and your landlord's right to make copies.

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 5:18 pm

Who made a copy of your key? We need some context.

SaveFerris
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jun 2019, 5:31 pm

duplication of a key is not illegal.

However , how you got the original key and what you do with the duplicate is where you might get into hot water

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 6:03 pm

It wasn’t my landlord, it was my caregiver that made a key.

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 6:05 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:

That sounds okay. She probably needs one...

Is there a reason why you don’t want her to have it?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 12:54 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

She didn’t ask permission, I don’t like it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 1:22 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

She didn’t ask permission, I don’t like it.

That's not right at all. If she uses the key against your will, then she is basically breaking in. She needs to surrender the key to you.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 2:05 am

Pretty sure this isn't okay, but I'm not sure if it's your caregiver or your landlord that's in the wrong. Landlord has the right to make a duplicate key to an apartment that they own, but I'm pretty sure it's not okay to hand them out to people who are not renting that apartment without permission. If your caregiver made a key without permission from either you or the landlord, that I suspect is grounds for dismissal and possibly prosecution.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 4:34 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Pretty sure this isn't okay, but I'm not sure if it's your caregiver or your landlord that's in the wrong. Landlord has the right to make a duplicate key to an apartment that they own, but I'm pretty sure it's not okay to hand them out to people who are not renting that apartment without permission. If your caregiver made a key without permission from either you or the landlord, that I suspect is grounds for dismissal and possibly prosecution.
I can understand why the caregiver would want a key but the rite thing to do is to ask for permission. I would have a hard time trusting the person after that unless I really trusted them before. Like if a close family member or friend I really trusted were to do that, I wouldn't assume they wanted a key for a bad reason & I'd figure they just assumed it was OK instead of considering to ask 1st. I would have to talk to the person about it in that case but that's the only situation were I wouldn't be that bothered short of the landlord or someone working for them doing it.

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 12:34 am

I asked for the key back a few times,she refused. I asked her again, she gave it to me, she thinks she can keep it cuz she bought with her money. I need another caregiver. I got her last year when I broke my ankle, she did almost everything for me, I wasn’t mentally ready & I was hurting tooooo much. Now I only need her to clean my apartment & do laundry, I have sooo much feet pain & lower leg pain too. She can do alot of things wrong, it hard to understand her cuz of her accent, she thinks I have to understand her cuz I’m white, she used to tell me, ‘in my country, white people understand me’ I maybe white, but I’m more half Persian & Hispanic. It not working out anymore. I want someone that understand Aspergers.