Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 12:02 pm

Some of my earliest memories are on Scarborough seafront. Salty Fish & Chips and rock hard candy, that resulted in many amalgam (mercury/copper) tooth fillings when I was a kid. I later had all of these removed in my early twenties.

So I have nice tooth coloured fillings - all paid for by job seekers allowance, whilst I starved to death for nearly 3 years. :ninja:

Oh, and a bird/seagull pooped on my head one time, and I didn't know what it was & asked my Mum if the poop was caramel. :lol:

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 12:11 pm

I went to Weston super mare, Blackpool as a kid. Yorkshire, i may have been there, i cant remember., I've been Wales and various places, but i was too young to remember. Other places, i was old enough to remember, but I just forgot the location, or the event entirely. I visited Legoland, Alton Towers, Cadburys factory, some kind of old Victorian town thing, as a kid, many random places, but it's all a blur. I may have deficient auto-biographical memory.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 12:22 pm

Never been to Scarborough, but it looks to have a nice sandy beach from the video. Also doesn't look quite as upmarket as I'd imagined it. I'm not very familiar with the East Coast of England at all - we went to Skegness (Butlins) in the 1960s when I was very young, don't remember it at all, and I went to visit Whitley Bay a few years ago, horrible place!

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 12:24 pm

Yeah, Skegness , Butlins. Another place I have barely any memory of. (Next to zero memories.) I've been there, I've been told i've been there, maybe even for like a couple weeks.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 1:35 pm

DeepHour wrote:
Never been to Scarborough, but it looks to have a nice sandy beach from the video. Also doesn't look quite as upmarket as I'd imagined it. I'm not very familiar with the East Coast of England at all - we went to Skegness (Butlins) in the 1960s when I was very young, don't remember it at all, and I went to visit Whitley Bay a few years ago, horrible place!

It is certainly not an upmarket destination nowadays, though relative to poverty stricken areas in United Kingdom, during the 1990's - it was a paradise.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Feb 2022, 2:17 pm

[quote="DeepHour"I went to visit Whitley Bay a few years ago, horrible place![/quote]

As someone who's only visited the UK by armchair, I'm curious why you say this...please explain, thanks!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 2:54 pm

Well, as I recall it, there was no proper beach for a start, all stones and rocks. Grim environment generally, uninspiring architecture, few interesting facilities, not even a decent shopping centre. A large part of the town seemed to have turned into a building site, with scaffolding everywhere, roads being dug up, etc.

Of course it's entirely possible that all the building work has created a fantabulous new resort by now, but somehow I doubt it....

:|

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 5:06 pm

Just remembered that I took a few photographs while in Whitley Bay:

The beach, probably the best part of it. There's actually a hint of some rather poor quality sand there.

The most impressive building I could find, not sure what it was supposed to be.

Banned for being a dog in Whitley Bay.

Even this seagull doesn't look too impressed with the place.

Part of the municipal gardens (joke).

An old-fashioned public telephone box near the railway station.

Last edited by DeepHour on 18 Feb 2022, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 5:10 pm

DeepHour wrote:

Even this seagull doesn't look too impressed with the place.

The most impressive building I could find, not sure what it was supposed to be.

Part of the municipal gardens (joke).

That could be practically any where in England. Everything is so generic. Thats' basically every city. Every street corner. Every roundabout.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 6:24 pm

What about the Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2022, 12:47 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Aren't those herbs you would find in a jar at the store?

Jokes aside - I don't think those things are found in most urban areas in the United Kingdom. Though I am just speculating here - I am not a herb or wildlife afficionado...

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2022, 1:04 am

Scarborough
by Anne Brontë

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2022, 2:06 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Aren't those herbs you would find in a jar at the store?

Jokes aside - I don't think those things are found in most urban areas in the United Kingdom. Though I am just speculating here - I am not a herb or wildlife afficionado...

Am an American. So the first thing I think of when I see the word "Scarborough" is the Simon and Garfunkel song "Scarborough Fair".

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2022, 2:31 am

^ Ohh, gotcha now