Do you do better with significantly older or younger than yo

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 10:08 am

Do you do better with people significantly older or younger than you than those in your own age group? I've read that this is common in autistic people.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 10:10 am

The older the better, for me. I can't stand my age group, and people are forever making comments to the effect that I'm an old man in a young man's body.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 10:14 am

I've always done better with older people. When I was in my early thirties one of my few good friends was in his sixties.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 10:19 am

I've never even thought about this before. But now you've mentioned it I have had at least two significant friendships with guys my father's age. I also had a friendship with a woman my mother's age... she was the mother of an ex girlfriend.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 10:20 am

I've always been comfortable with people or partners who are 10-15 years older, but I also fit in very well with people in their 20's. My nephew's friends are here often and I seldom feel an age difference at all.

Growing up, I very rarely spent time with anyone my own age. I was either alone, babysitting younger children, or hanging out with the friends of my first boyfriend. (I was 17, he was 22 and his friends were even older).

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 3:27 pm

Usually yes. Most of the people I really get along with are significantly older or younger than I am - with a few notable exceptions.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 5:14 pm

Yes definitely! I get along very well with elderly people.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Jul 2019, 6:16 pm

When I was a kid I didn't get along with people my own age cuz they were bullies. I didn't get along with adults either thou cuz they didn't understand me & automatically took the bullies side since the bullies had numbers on their side & I had a reputation of being a problem cuz of people not understanding me & the bullies ganging up on me. I got along with younger kids better in some ways cuz we had similar interests & they didn't tease me or physically bully me as much. However as an adult it seems to depend on the specif people instead of their ages as to weather or not we get along well or not. However when it came to romantic relationships as an adult(I had no interest in them as a kid & teen), I was more attracted to younger girls. We had more similar interests, were more at a similar place in life cuz I didn't have my sh!t together, & they were more relatable to me. I think being supportive(or at least trying to be) within a relationship tends to be one of my bigger relationship strengths & younger girls are more likely to want or need that. Plus I never really gotten along with my mom & I figured women my age would more likely see my as a child & start to resent me due to not having my sh!t together with life & my other issues. I would much rather feel like a parent to my partner than feel like I'm her child. Both my exes were a bit younger than me. 1st was 15 when I was 20 & the 2nd was 19 & I was 28 but my 2nd was also on the spectrum. However my current is half a year older than me & also on the spectrum but like me she has lots of other various issues than just autism so we really relate & things are kinda equal but in different ways.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 7:05 pm

I get along with all ages, although I do seem to attract older women.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 8:16 am

I've always gotten along better with older people. All through school I was friends more with my teachers and not my classmates, my best friend I met when I was 14 and he was 25, all my current internet friends are older than me, some are old enough to be my father.

From my experience older people are generally nicer and easier to get along with as long as you are being nice and respectful to them. Unlike young people under 25 who in my opinion often act self-centered and selfish.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 9:08 am

My friend closest to me in age is eight years older. I do better with people older than I am. I value their life experience and intelligence. I get along well with people who have knowledge, regardless of age.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 9:55 am

I generally get along with people who are nice. If there's one thing I can't stand it's cocky arrogant jerks who bully others.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 11:23 am

If I am dating it works better for me to date someone younger. As a friend, older men work better. I hope that makes sense.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 3:09 pm

RevengeofTW1ZTY,

I am the same. I don't like bullies and arrogant people. I like nice people who are intelligent and those I can talk to about things. Most of these people are older than I am, but my tennis instructor is near my age (three years younger) and has similar interests to mine.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 3:20 pm

I do much better with women, especially those who are older than I am. My wife is two years older than I am.