What is the best place to visit in autumn?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Evacony
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2019, 1:28 am

What are the best autumn destinations?

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2019, 6:22 am

Southern Europe is a good choice. Weather is usually still nice but not as hot as the summer months. There’s usually fewer tourists about too so it’s easier to see the sights without having to put up with the crowds.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 8:05 am

New England. Especially Vermont if you are wanting to see pretty leaves.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 8:11 am

Anywhere that has excellent fall colors from deciduous trees, along with relatively mild, sunny weather in October.

Ezra is pretty spot on.

I would also say the Adirondack Mountains of New York in early October. The Catskills in mid to late October.

Higher elevations are better early, lower elevations later.

You can get nice fall color in the NYC area around Halloween, or soon afterwards.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 8:15 am

Some elevations can be too high for the trees that change color, though they can be nice places to visit if they have a suitable observation area.

Jacosy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2019, 3:35 pm

In my view, autumn is a good time for traveling, no matter what destination you are going to choose. Traveling across Europe will be a good idea.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Near the trees and fields on a hill near the sea not far from beaches, harbours and castles on the Welsh coastline in the British Isles in the U.K. You know, that place next to Europe?.

22 Aug 2019, 3:49 pm

Narnia before the snow sets in.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 12:22 am

Munich, Germany for Oktoberfest.

Kanye West 2020

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2019, 7:58 am

Seoul. It's beautiful in fall.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 8:09 am

Michigan.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 8:56 am

Vermont and New Hampshire are good.the franconian notch in New Hampshire is real good.

Also dont forget western Massachusetts.you have the Quabbin reservoir which is awesome in the fall and of coarse the Berkshires are great.
you can visit the Quabbin and then take rte.202 north to rte 2 and then take scenic rte 2 west(the Mohawk trail)to and through the north Berkshires.from rte. 2 in North Adams where I live you can access Mt. Greylock which you can drive up and enjoy the incredible view from the top of the 3,489 ft. peak.

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2019, 9:27 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Vermont and New Hampshire are good.the franconian notch in New Hampshire is real good.

Also dont forget western Massachusetts.you have the Quabbin reservoir which is awesome in the fall and of coarse the Berkshires are great.
you can visit the Quabbin and then take rte.202 north to rte 2 and then take scenic rte 2 west(the Mohawk trail)to and through the north Berkshires.from rte. 2 in North Adams where I live you can access Mt. Greylock which you can drive up and enjoy the incredible view from the top of the 3,489 ft. peak.

I concur with Western MA; don't forget the Pioneer Valley

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 11:41 am

The Smokies are nice, but the crowds are horrible.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 12:26 pm

red_doghubb wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

I grew up in Belchertown but yes the pioneer valley is good.
the holyoke MT range and the scenery of the Connecticut river,very nice in the fall.I did include the Quabbin in my other post which is the eastern border of the pioneer valley.

western MA in general is really nice in the fall

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2019, 12:29 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
red_doghubb wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

the holyoke MT range and the scenery of the Connecticut river,very nice in the fall.I did include the Quabbin in my other post which is the eastern border of the pioneer valley.

Grew up on the Quabbin, went to school in Amherst. I'd actually take the valley (sitting on a mt at sun rise!) over the reservoir, myself.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 2:39 pm

red_doghubb wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
red_doghubb wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

Grew up on the Quabbin, went to school in Amherst. I'd actually take the valley (sitting on a mt at sun rise!) over the reservoir, myself.
I lived in Amherst for 12 years,its a nice area