Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 7:51 pm

Clothes and fashion are one of my obsessional (?) interests. What things do you like to wear, what's your style? Bought anything you want to share lately?

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 8:38 pm

I like Victorian lady's fashions and traditional Asian dresses like Japanese kimonos and Chinese cheongsams.

I don't have a sense if style though, I dress for comfort.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 9:46 pm

I think old-school men's clothes are neat--and tend to enjoy wearing a mixture of jeans-and-button-down stuff, or Edwardian/1920s clothes, sometimes tending to more of a 1930s-'40s look as well. The plan is to master the art of sewing and start making my own duds. (I have a 75-year-old Singer sewing machine that runs like a treat and should be a good little machine to fix and make things with. Why did I not buy one sooner?)

I don't like slim-fit anything and tend to make myself look pleasant but dowdy. Not only does it feel weird but I don't like feeling naked, so there. Baggy things are so much nicer--and that fitted-but-baggy style of the 1890s through the 1930s is great. WWII-era clothes tended to run tighter due to rationing, and in the Great Depression upperclass clothing was nice and bulky but the common man's clothes were amazingly rugged and manly.

New favorite style of pants--straight-leg "fishtail back" trousers. Look 'em up. Bask in their awesomeness. You don't need to wear a belt any more with them and they don't go sagging; also, one's shirt stays in. Of course, get suspenders. Those can be nice and colorful. I like drab ones with a stripe.

Latest accessory--picked up a vintage brown necktie with crossed keys as in the flag of the Vatican and a gold-filled Hamilton railroad watch from 1927. It is railroad grade (MountainGoat is drooling if he sees this??) and that's nice but I need to get it tuned up as it runs too fast.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 1:49 pm

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
I like Victorian lady's fashions and traditional Asian dresses like Japanese kimonos and Chinese cheongsams.

I enjoy those too, especially traditional Japanese kimonos. They're so gorgeous.

I really love European Baroque dresses. I want to wear one so, so bad just to see what it's like. I love corsets and I think it would be so interesting to wear a hoop skirt, and have my hair and makeup done as outlandishly as possible. When I picture my dress I picture it being powder blue!

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 1:51 pm

Borromeo wrote:
I think old-school men's clothes are neat--and tend to enjoy wearing a mixture of jeans-and-button-down stuff, or Edwardian/1920s clothes, sometimes tending to more of a 1930s-'40s look as well. The plan is to master the art of sewing and start making my own duds. (I have a 75-year-old Singer sewing machine that runs like a treat and should be a good little machine to fix and make things with. Why did I not buy one sooner?)

I don't like slim-fit anything and tend to make myself look pleasant but dowdy. Not only does it feel weird but I don't like feeling naked, so there. Baggy things are so much nicer--and that fitted-but-baggy style of the 1890s through the 1930s is great. WWII-era clothes tended to run tighter due to rationing, and in the Great Depression upperclass clothing was nice and bulky but the common man's clothes were amazingly rugged and manly.

New favorite style of pants--straight-leg "fishtail back" trousers. Look 'em up. Bask in their awesomeness. You don't need to wear a belt any more with them and they don't go sagging; also, one's shirt stays in. Of course, get suspenders. Those can be nice and colorful. I like drab ones with a stripe.

Latest accessory--picked up a vintage brown necktie with crossed keys as in the flag of the Vatican and a gold-filled Hamilton railroad watch from 1927. It is railroad grade (MountainGoat is drooling if he sees this??) and that's nice but I need to get it tuned up as it runs too fast.

OH my goodness, that watch sounds amazing! I want to see a picture or an example of one if you could!

I tried learning to sew and I just couldn't get the hang of it. I'd like to make my own clothing but I don't have the patience or the fine motor skills. hah

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 1:53 pm

martianprincess wrote:

I enjoy those too, especially traditional Japanese kimonos. They're so gorgeous.

I really love European Baroque dresses. I want to wear one so, so bad just to see what it's like. I love corsets and I think it would be so interesting to wear a hoop skirt, and have my hair and makeup done as outlandishly as possible. When I picture my dress I picture it being powder blue!

If I was born a woman I would love to try on some old dresses! But I'm not into wearing drag. :P

I think I would look gorgeous in a slinky Chinese cheongsam because I have very dark hair.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 1:55 pm

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 2:08 pm

I'm obsessed with fashion, both men's and women's, though not contemporary fashion, which is thoroughly ugly. My opinions on dress could fairly be described as "reactionary" :lol:

Borromeo wrote:

I don't own a single pair of jeans, myself. I find them uncomfortable as well as unpleasant to look at.

You don't need to learn to tailor to get affordable clothes made to measure; PM me, and I'll give you some advice on how to get cheap tailor-made suits and shirts. All my coats, shirts and suits are made-to-measure, and I'm not tremendously wealthy.

The Edwardian era was perhaps the last in history where I would have felt entirely at ease with the world. Not only were its fashions greater than those of any subsequent era, but its manners, morals and culture, too. I have to say, however, that I prefer the dress of its (then already rapidly disappearing) bourgeoisie to its proletariat.

Personally, I have been won over with slim-fit to an extent, though I still think looser clothes are better.

As for belts, I took to wearing traditional button braces a few years ago, although then can be a little cumbersome.

I'd love a St. Peter's tie, as a fellow Roman Catholic. I did buy a fleur-de-lis tie from TM Lewin on Ludgate Hill, opposite St. Paul's Cathedral, a few weeks ago; it's very quickly become my favourite.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 2:16 pm

The only problem with the Victorian and Edwardian fashions is the fact that the corsets slowly crushed a woman's ribs over time and could damage her organs and kill her.

That's why women switched from corsets to bras.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 2:21 pm

The only problem with the Victorian and Edwardian fashions is the fact that the corsets slowly crushed a woman's ribs over time and could damage her organs and kill her.

Well for starters, I certainly don't wear one, but Sarah Chrisman does. She claims that they're pretty comfortable. There's a big difference between normal antique-style garb and kinky stuff.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 2:24 pm

Borromeo wrote:

Well for starters, I certainly don't wear one, but Sarah Chrisman does. She claims that they're pretty comfortable. There's a big difference between normal antique-style garb and kinky stuff.

Of course, modern corsets aren't tied anywhere as tightly as they were in the old days.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 2:26 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thelin ... s.html/amp

Here's some old photos to give you an idea of how rib-crushing antique corsets were.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 4:14 pm

Borromeo wrote:

Of course, modern corsets aren't tied anywhere as tightly as they were in the old days.

I actually have a well-made corset. I haven't worn it in a long time but when I did it was one of the most comfortable things I've ever worn! I was trying out "waist training" which I'm not too sold on myself but it was definitely fun to try. I will have to see if I can find it in my closet somewhere, it felt like a squeeze-hug and I loved it.

You are correct in that corsets were tied too tightly back in the day. It shifts your organs around too! So interesting.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 4:15 pm

I love fashion also, especially haute couture! I used to watch fashion shows all the time when i wasn't working yet. I think fashion is also an art form and i really admire talented designers like Alexander McQueen and John Galliano.
I also love shopping but i buy way too extravagant stuff that i wouldn't be able to wear. I feel like i'm sometimes overdressed even for special occasions but i get complimented a lot too.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 4:24 pm

AprilR wrote:
I love fashion also, especially haute couture! I used to watch fashion shows all the time when i wasn't working yet. I think fashion is also an art form and i really admire talented designers like Alexander McQueen and John Galliano.
I also love shopping but i buy way too extravagant stuff that i wouldn't be able to wear. I feel like i'm sometimes overdressed even for special occasions but i get complimented a lot too.

I like Alexander McQueen too. And fashion is definitely one of the best arm forms. I think people confuse ready to wear with couture and make fun of it a lot but that's misguided. I remember learning art history but fashion was never mentioned which disappointed me.

Were you also addicted to America's Next Top Model too?? I think I've seen every season like three times (except the newer ones... And the ones will the male models I didn't like very much). I've also seen all the early episodes of Project Runway several times too.