Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 7:19 pm

Do people here like accents? Can you understand them? Do Americans have accents too? My boyfriend has an accent, I think it french cuz he was born in France, can you lose your accent? My boyfriend lives in UK now. He always travel to France to see his daughter, but he haven’t seen her in months, he’s in Asia for work, they building a big machine, I don’t know what it is.

Varax
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Aug 2019, 7:30 pm

Everyone has an accent, yes this includes Americans... you may not think so because you're used to them but there are clearly accents especially by region in the US as it is in most parts of the world. I was talking to someone from Jamaica and he said it was hard to understand me because of my thick American accent. I didn't have any trouble understanding him tho, lol I liked his accent. Accents tend to form as we learn our first language when we are young, I suppose if you live somewhere else for a long period of time and start speaking more like the locals there it can change.

I love different accents. Love hearing them. I admit to finding some really attractive, though that depends on voice as well.. like Patrick Stewart who has both.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 8:50 pm

Accents are very much real. The American accents vary by region. Some of them are pleasant, others are intolerably grating. I think I associate some accents with certain qualities.

I have a mild Southern accent but would not mind having a "Received English" accent, AKA standard English-language pronunciation. I like the versatility.

Also, I really dislike small-town culture in general, preferring either urban living or complete solitude, so I hate the associations it brings. But you might like it, so there's that. :D

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2019, 10:51 am

I hate accents faked for the movies or television, because no real person talks that way. It plays to old stereotypes of certain ethnic backgrounds.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Aug 2019, 1:04 pm

Varax wrote:
Everyone has an accent, yes this includes Americans... you may not think so because you're used to them but there are clearly accents especially by region in the US as it is in most parts of the world. I was talking to someone from Jamaica and he said it was hard to understand me because of my thick American accent. I didn't have any trouble understanding him tho, lol I liked his accent. Accents tend to form as we learn our first language when we are young, I suppose if you live somewhere else for a long period of time and start speaking more like the locals there it can change.

I love different accents. Love hearing them. I admit to finding some really attractive, though that depends on voice as well.. like Patrick Stewart who has both.
Your rite. I had a southern accent when I lived in Louisiana but my accent changed some after I moved to Vermont. I didn't notice at all since it was a gradual change but people who don't see much much do. Some accents can be attractive like Jamaican & I like some of the various southern accents in different country songs.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition