Amount of Posts and Join Date of other forum members

Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

How much do you care about other members Join Date and amount of Posts that they have?
I care about this a lot. Having a lot of posts or an old join date means you are a very important person, and those who dont are less important, in my opinion. 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
I care about this a lot, but, I think everyone's still equal regardless of amount of posts or a join date. 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
I dont really care about it, but maybe those with higher amount of posts and older join date means they might have more experience, but thats not always the case. 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
I dont care at all. This was never something important to me. 58%  58%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 24

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 9:27 am

When I had only about 50 posts, I asked someone why people weren't responding to me. That someone (who had 2,000 posts) told me "What do you want? you only have 50 posts." I didn't think that made all that much sense.

I respect what a person says regardless of post count.

The "counting threads" were put there for a reason: many autistic people like the routine and the consistency which is part and parcel of the "counting threads."

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2019, 9:37 am

Noam2353 wrote:
red_doghubb wrote:
"Respect" for me- although difficult to feel for people I don't personally know/anon posters on web sites- is based on quality of contribution, not join date or numbers of posts. But, again personally, I don't believe anyone should care what others think of them or whether those others respect them.

Its not that I "care", its that I want to be respected and I want to be in a positive environment.
Would you enjoy participating in forum discussions, if some people wouldn't respect you while doing so? Of course not. So based on that, I want to know if I am receiving the same level of respect as others, even though my amount of posts are relatively low.
If you find that weird, that's okay. You can think whatever you want to think, but I still want to know how people look at it.
I believe my "quality" of contributions to the forums is decent, and that I'm not doing something specifically wrong or stupid. If you have a problem with me asking about whether I am being respected by others or not, I'm sorry to hear.

1. If I were interested enough, I would participate in a forum even if no one "respected" me (I'm not sure how I'd know they would or not, however) because I don't care if they do or don't
2. I did not say I had a problem with you asking about whether you are respected, I opined that I think ppl shouldn't be concerned with it

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 9:47 am

It's good to be "respected." It's even better to be "liked."

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2019, 9:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's good to be "respected." It's even better to be "liked."

It's certainly advantageous in certain environments or situations. If I HAD to pick one over the other for myself it'd be respect over liking as I care about someone liking me even less than respecting me. May be getting off topic tho now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 10:01 am

Not really off topic....we're talking about the "respect" that's given to people who have high post counts, over people with low post counts.

I said I'd rather be "liked" than "respected."

Not too much divergence there :wink:

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 10:04 am

This wouldn't matter on a big site but it's quite a small site so I 'recognise' some people.

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2019, 10:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Not really off topic....we're talking about the "respect" that's given to people who have high post counts, over people with low post counts.

i think the subject of respect- when and to whom it applies, whether it's earned vs granted etc would make a interesting separate topic

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 10:09 am

I feel like respect should be "earned." I don't believe respect is a "birthright."

Nor do I believe that an older person should automatically be "respected" because of relatively advanced age.

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2019, 10:11 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like respect should be "earned." I don't believe respect is a "birthright."

Nor do I believe that an older person should automatically be "respected" because of relatively advanced age.

ditto both counts
I will give you basic respect in regard to your dignity and human rights. Anything beyond that must be earned.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 10:17 am

Yep. I believe people have the right to be treated with dignity at all times as a "default."

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 10:40 am

red_doghubb wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

ditto both counts
I will give you basic respect in regard to your dignity and human rights. Anything beyond that must be earned.

Spot on.

Noam2353
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2019, 1:22 pm

What I mean is being polite. I'm sorry if any of you here have had a misunderstanding about what I meant earlier.
When someone talks to me or about me in a way that sounds normal, not necessarily respectful or disrespectful, then that is polite enough. I dont mean that people should always respect me 100%. But there should be a minimum amount of respect, enough so I can discuss something with other people without feeling like they are trying to piss me off.
Being polite has nothing to do with whether the other person had earned the respect or not. Being polite is a very basic thing that everyone needs to do.
Have manners, be polite or show respect - all of these terms to me mean the same thing, but "polite" might be the most accurate. I just dont always use certain words in English. I don't speak or write in English in real life, only on the Internet. If I made some language mistake, that's the reason.
I wouldnt quit the forums or stop participating in discussions, even if people would have started to disrespect me because of my join date or posts, or even because of something else. I just would feel a little less comfortable with it, if it would have happened. But almost everyone who is active already knows me and gets used to my presence. If anyone had a problem with my presence on the forums I would have already know of it by now, I think.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 6:16 pm

This is a slight diversion from the main point of the thread, but it sort of ties in with the 'respect' and 'liking' elements, so here goes:

There are three long term WP members whom I've been unable to get to respond to a single one of my posts, or to acknowledge my presence here in over five years. I've posted in their threads, quoted their posts, asked them questions directly within the thread, but never a hint of a reaction, even in the form of an emoji. This usually makes me smile, but it can occasionally get me down if I'm feeling a bit low anyway. I know there's no way of compelling a person to acknowledge one's existence, and I wouldn't want to, but I still find it puzzling and weird.

I actually saw a rumour not long ago on here that one of these members had in fact died. Hopefully that's just a rumour and I haven't seen it confirmed elsewhere, but if it is true then obviously there will never be any future interaction with that particular member.

Probably most or even all members have had a similar experience, so maybe I shouldn't let it get to me.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 12:52 am

DeepHour wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Or humanhatred.

BINGO!

:D

I don't think I know BINGO! :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran