Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 8:50 am

Discussions in other threads got me to thinking ...

8O Uh-oh! Fnord's thinking again!

... about what motivates different people to fail, to succeed, or to just get through the day. For example, what motivates me is the visceral urge to prove my childhood bullies and detractors wrong.  Even though most of them have passed away, I still feel the need to keep going, to do my best, and to "take the prize" (whatever it may be) just so they have no reason to ever again tell me that I'm only a loser who would never make it on his own, who would never have friends, and who would never enjoy life above the poverty level.

(Sometimes I also feel the urge to go and p*** on their graves, but that's another story.)

So what motivates you?

(Please try to keep your replies on a positive note. If you want to complain and be miserable, then please start your own thread. Thank you.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Sep 2019, 9:14 am

There are a few different motivations that lead me different ways.

My internal life motivates my external life. I'm generally powered from within.
Curiosity is a very strong drive. I want to be right. I want to be wise. I want to live up to what I believe - and I want to know what I believe.
A simple "If I don't do it, it won't be done and I need it done" kind of responsibility is another drive, esp. to do chores.
I'm also extremely motivated by knowing someone needs my help - provided I really can do something to make a difference. At the moment, my children are consuming the majority of my power by this drive.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 9:44 am

At the moment? To move. Just, move.

I've literally have no underlying reason to, nor had any real goal set in mind. Except to do, or to be.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 2:24 pm

What motivates me is that I want my own place for privacy. I also want to improve my self cause I just enjoy self-improvement! My friend motivates me to be the best person I can be. So my motivation is privacy, self-improvement, and my best friend.

By the way Fnord, your reasons for motivation sound VERY similar to Marknis motivation. Odd that you two haven't become friends and used the motivation to help each other... :scratch:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 2:28 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
… By the way Fnord, your reasons for motivation sound VERY similar to Marknis motivation. Odd that you two haven't become friends and used the motivation to help each other...

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 3:33 pm

A large part of my depression is feeling like I'm nothing but a burden to others, so a large part of my motivation to move toward independence comes from not wanting to be a burden anymore. I also am motivated by a desire to prove at least to myself that I'm not just a worthless layabout who doesn't give a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys about anything other than whatever her current obsession is, like I grew up being told I was because I couldn't meet NT standards.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2019, 8:11 pm

Pure stubbornness motivates me, always has. Sometimes well past the point where it would have been wiser to just quit.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 10:29 pm

I have virtually no motivation to accomplish any long-term goals anymore. Just trying to live like most other people my age is an insanely difficult accomplishment enough.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 5:20 am

I guess for me it was overhearing basically what a vegetable I would be and taking that as a challenge to become as capable as possible instead of letting my circumstances dictate my life. That initial drive continues to motivate me.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 5:42 am

Trains, model trains, the next exciting car journey, bicycles and God.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 7:21 pm

darkwaver wrote:
Pure stubbornness motivates me, always has. Sometimes well past the point where it would have been wiser to just quit.

Exactly. It's the reason I'm a good advocate. I just refuse to give up.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 7:42 pm

$$$ used to motivate me

Now nothing seems to motivate me

Everything is like, cost benefit analysis

The energy required to do something is often more for me, than lil dipshit extroverts

The result is not guaranteed

If you fail , you are sometimes worse off than when you started

f**k mister redelings

Moretto
Raven
Raven

Location: 01 Oakes Vetoh Lemala, Zeydin Seetznin, Hanow, Cassonie

11 Sep 2019, 7:47 pm

When I was younger the desire to get away from my parents was a huge motivator.

Nowadays what motivates me is the prospect that there may be better days ahead. To live for my loved ones. Live to create (I am an artist).

Of course there's the usual motivators, money, dinner, to fulfill the more visceral needs

I used to get my news from reddit...Every day I'd check the app on my phone and the daily barrage of headline after headline of the most depressing, terrible and infuriating news wreaked havoc on my mood.

I want to be able to look back on that and be glad we survived and overcame it.

"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, who had ever been alive." - Baldwin