Did your teachers make you do this at school?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 7:33 pm

I was going to post this in the school and college life forum but nobody seems to post there much any more so I thought I'll post here.

I remember back when I was around 11-13 I had some teachers that would make us do a test then the teacher would write the correct answers on the board and then call everyone's name out and make you say your score when she called your name.
I always found this humiliating because I often got the lowest score in the class and having to shout out my score wasn't very pleasant and I used to get upset to find that I had the lowest score in the class again.
The only subject I didn't struggle with was English, as I usually had one of the highest scores in spelling tests. But in lessons like maths, science, French, history, geography and technology I scored low and it made me feel like the class dunce.

Did anyone else have this issue at school?

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 8:02 pm

That was not done in my schools (US, 1980s). Sorry for the embarrassment (humiliation).

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 11:01 pm

They would do something like that with spelling tests at that same age range.

What they would do is have us pass our tests to another student (to the next one on the left or something) and then we'd correct our peers test as the teacher read the proper spelling out. The teacher would then call on each student and have them say who's test they had and what the score was. The teacher typically didn't move so sometimes this would be said rather loud, at least enough to be heard across the room. Freaking horrid thing to experience.

This wasn't done every time and could depend on the teacher but I dreaded the possibility that it might happen. Spelling was difficult for me, I was embarrassed by my handwriting, and tests made me anxious anyway so at some point I stopped trying entirely. I'd do any homework that required use of the words but I stopped "studying them" and put no effort in trying to get them right. Earned myself more than a few zeros. It was still humiliating but it felt better knowing I was failing by choice and not when I was trying my hardest. :/

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2019, 3:23 am

Yes. (Grade 2-6/1st-4th HS, K-10 system S.Y. 2002-2016 or so, @Ph.)

Didn't minded much.

Because I frankly could care less about my own scores, let alone anyone else's.
Lowest, highest, average -- got them all yet it didn't meant much to me, save for a sliver of pride and shame.
This is also why I don't panic in exams and quizes.

Instead of being shamed, students ended up being more intimidated by me by having higher scores :lol: yet gets baffled if I get lower scores.
A classroom with presumptions on how each student may do well in class; mine happened to lean on a more 'decent study' side of other else's assumptions.
I've been also one of those students who aren't even trying, for infamously known for sleeping at most school periods on whole school years (no joke).

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Nov 2019, 4:25 am

No.
Teachers notoriousy read all scores aloud but they never did things like what you describe.
I would find it humiliating, too, even with my generally high scores it would be a big stress.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2019, 9:51 am

Joe90 wrote:
... I remember back when I was around 11-13 I had some teachers that would make us do a test then the teacher would write the correct answers on the board and then call everyone's name out and make you say your score when she called your name.  I always found this humiliating because I often got the lowest score in the class and having to shout out my score wasn't very pleasant and I used to get upset to find that I had the lowest score in the class again...

Did anyone else have this issue at school?
In a way, yes. I always scored well on tests, and announcing my test score in class always caused trouble -- as I announced my score, it seemed like half the class would say, "Cheater" while the other half would say, "Teacher's pet".

(No, I just soaked up the lessons and studied the material.)

Then I would get beat up because, as one bully put it, "... yer makin' da rest of us look stoopid!"

I graduated. Some of them didn't. Life goes on.

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2019, 9:53 am

Fnord wrote:
Then I would get beat up because, as one bully put it, "... yer makin' da rest of us look stoopid!"
[/color] :D

Yeah, that's a classic. Like they needed the help.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2019, 10:18 am

No, we never did this in my school (Canada, 1980s). But we would be asked to solve a math problem on the chalkboard, which I hated because I was so bad at math, and the other kids would laugh at you. One time they started laughing at another kid, and the teacher told them that they sounded like sheep bleating (they did) and made them stop.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 10:19 am

Ugh, yes. I often hated this. However, what was worse was when the teacher would read out everyone's scores except you and perhaps a few others. Asking you to stay behind after class. This usually meant that my other classmates would be asking about why I had to stay behind once I finally left the classroom.

Whenever I got a particularly bad score, my maths teacher would specifically inform the class about whose scores would not be read out in class time that day. You might as well have written a sign on our backs saying "ASK ME LATER". Apparently this was intended to save me from public embarrassment. However, all it did was make me feel ashamed, and I became the subject of several questions from students. I could either lie to them, or admit to doing so poorly multiple times to different people throughout the day. Still, at least that particular maths teacher attempted to be kind, albeit in a misguided manner. Not all did.

I had one who seemed to delight in making me an example of what not to do. Snatching my paper up and showing it to others, pointing out my mistakes. Calling me out on supposedly being lazy. Loudly proclaiming that I needed a bigger calculator because I inputted data wrong, handing me a giant calculator whilst laughing. Yes, I get it, you think I'm an idiot. :x Did you really need to make a spectacle of me though? No, you didn't. She used to make us read out our scores, and she'd make snide remarks about them each time.

Back in school, this boy claimed that I was cheating on our practice tests in science. In reality, he was copying my work. That's not what he told his friends though, as he wanted to appear smart. So his friends kept bothering me, calling me a dumb blonde. I had to read out my score, and of course this guy sat next to me would always get the exact same. Plenty of snickering and insults aimed at me would ensue. He even had the gall to ask for the answers outright in a whisper. Um, no, you turned me into a walking joke. I'm not going to help you. He even asked me out. I promptly told him "I don't like you that way, and even if I did why would I want to date you after how you treated me? You're not going to find a girlfriend if you keep treating girls like this. Who even does that? Please never bother me again". Or something along those lines.

Reading out my scores in English, Business Studies and IT wasn't so bad. Occasionally science (the previous situation not included, of course). I tended to be called a nerd in those subjects. The insults I received were either dumb blonde or nerd depending on the topic.

I was respected by a troublemaker in my English class. He would describe what he wanted to say, and I'd supply him with better insults to use. The teacher disliked him and the two would often argue. I enjoyed witnessing the verbal smack-down with newly learnt words. Don't judge me too harshly, I did technically help him improve on his English after all. :lol:

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 11:34 am

That never happened at the schools I went to.