Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2020, 11:13 am

Post some of your favourite and useful autism tweets or quotes ( these gems just dropped into my FB feed )

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2020, 12:13 pm

Okay, I'll give it a try...

Autism on TV: I am a private detective who examines and considers every clue, every dimension, and every detail of a murder scene to correctly determine the identity of the murderer(s) in 48 minutes or less when even the best professionals at Scotland Yard have given up on the case.

Autism in Real Life: I have to ask complete strangers on a social website if the girl who smiled at me from inside her car last year likes me or just thinks I'm funny-looking.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2020, 1:29 pm

I feel totally called out by the one about getting groceries. :lol:
The grocery store struggle is real. Why do they have to change things in those places? They're killing me with that stuff.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 11:52 am

“The trouble is, people will say ‘people who suffers from Aspergers’. No, you don’t suffer from Aspergers, you suffer from other people!”
Tony Attwood

"Striking up conversations with strangers is an autistic person's version of extreme sports."
Kamran Nazeer

Aspies: Because great minds think alone.

Why did God make people with AS?
Maybe he figured he'd get it right this time

“Would I ever have the courage to tell Wills the truth? That he wasn't just imagining the world was a more difficult place for him to understand than for some of his buddies - that it was, in fact, more difficult for him. That he'd been dealt a rotten hand in that regard, but only in that one regard. Because I wouldn't change one freckle, one misunderstood moment, one tiny piece of him for anything in the world. I would change myself. I would change the things other people said or thought out of ignorance or fear. I would change so many things, but I would absolutely never, in a million years, change him.”
― Monica Holloway, Cowboy & Wills: A Love Story

This wasn't about AS, but close enough, I think:
Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you because they can't handle what's right about you

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 11:56 am

“Children with disabilities are stronger than we know, they fight the battles that most will never know.”
― Misti Renea Neely

“Think of it: a disability is usually defined in terms of what is missing. … But autism … is as much about what is abundant as what is missing, an over-expression of the very traits that make our species unique.”
― Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong: Adventures in Autism

“I go to all the appointments. All the meetings. I sit with the team of inclusion teachers, occupational therapists, doctors, social workers, remedial teachers, and the cab driver that gets him from appointment to appointment, and I push for everything that can be done for my autistic boy. But I will never have a plan that will fix him. Noah is not something to be fixed.

And our life will never be normal. And people always say,

oh well what’s normal, there’s no such thing really, and I say —

sure there is…there’s a spectrum… and there’s lots and lots of possibilities within that spectrum, and trust me buddy, ducks on the moon ain’t one of them….but ….

In this abnormal life, I get to live with a pirate,

and a bird fancier, and an ogre, and a hedgehog, and many many superheroes, and aliens and monsters —

and an angel.

I get to go to infinity and beyond.”
― Kelley Jo Burke, Ducks on the Moon: A Parent Meets Autism

“Autism, is part of my child, it's not everything he is. My child is so much more than a diagnosis.”
― S.L. Coelho, The World According to August - One Good Friend

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 12:02 pm

"Autists are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg."
Paul Collins

“The Internet," [Judy] Singer said, "is a prosthetic device for people who can't socialize without it." For anyone challenged by language and social rules, a communication system that does not operate in real time is a godsend.”
― Andrew Solomon, Far from the Tree: Parents, Children, and the Search for Identity

“You have to be the bravest person in the world to go out every day, being yourself when no one likes who you are.”
― Matthew Dicks, Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

"I see people with Asperger's syndrome as a bright thread in the rich tapestry of life"
- Tony Attwood.

"I have Aspergers and that means I’m sometimes a bit different from the norm. And - given the right circumstances- being different is a superpower. "

"People also say that since I have Asperger I couldn’t possibly have put myself in this position. But that’s exactly why I did this. Because if I would have been ”normal” and social I would have organized myself in an organisation, or started an organisation by myself. But since I am not that good at socializing I did this instead."
Greta Thunberg

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 12:03 pm

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 1:55 pm

Autism on TV: By human standards, I would have likely been diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder as a child.  As a result of my father's discipline and my mother's compassion, I have since learned that it is appropriate to express my emotions -- this seems to be the logical thing to do.  In the meantime, I have served aboard a vessel as science officer and first officer simultaneously, later as commanding officer of two later iterations of the same vessel, and as an ambassador after retirement.

Autism in Real Life: i have never felt fully human and i only wish that I was a space-alien or something special because then my father would be proud of me and my mother would smile a lot more and I could go places and do stuff on my own like go shopping to school and to the mall with my friends but I have no friends only a cat who is getting old and sleepy and I dont know what i will do when she dies because she is my only friend if only i could have friends because nobody likes me

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.