Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 10:56 am

Black bears are usually pretty mellow.Like all wild animals they don’t like to be surprised.That’s the only time I’ve heard of them chasing people here.If you are picking berries or walking the woods, just make noise and they usually avoid people.Or take a dog pack with you.
They like food so don’t go to sleep with a candy bar in your pocket when camping.Some tourist did that here and a bear bit onto the tent and drug it and him aways.He escaped safely.
They will get into houses if you don’t have a dog.An elderly neighbor went to town and left the front door open to cool the house down and a bear went right thru the screen door and into the kitchen.It ate his cornbread, torn into a bag of sugar, clawed the walls a bit, and then carried a bucket of lard into the yard to eat.
Bee keepers have trouble with them often.They also love bird feeders.
Personally I’d rather encounter a bear than a sounder of wild hogs.
Had that happen once.Pretty sure I qualified for the Olympics.It really did feel like my feet never touched the ground.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 4:50 am

Wild hogs are probably the scariest thing in the eastern woods of the southern US. Feral domesticated pigs seem to evolve back into something like their wild boar ancestors (with big tusks). On top of that there is a population of actual Russian wild boars in the Blue Ridge that were introduced by a millionaire playboy in the 1890s (introduced as game). They probably interbreed with the feral domestic pigs as well further pushing the gene pool back to its wild ancestral form. Native American wildlife species have an instinctive fear of the sound of a rattlesnake rattle, but pigs and boars just...scarf up rattle snakes like theyre pig slop! They taste like chicken, and they advertise their presence with sound...goody!

Gorillas and North American black bears just don't overlap in range. So this contest just never happens in nature. Maybe some sleazeball like that Tiger King guy might contrive a contest for his roadside tourist trap.