Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 8:17 pm

Is there a name for looking at someone and thinking they look like someone famous or someone else you know?
e.g. Seeing someone in the street and thinking they look like someone famous or seeing someone famous on TV and think they look like someone you know.

Is there a name for finding this connection? or is it just human nature.

I'm not sure it's a common thing in the spectrum community ? due to the chance of having prosopagnosia

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 8:24 pm

Hyperfamiliarity?

Thanks for making me spell that.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 8:25 pm

I get that when I go on holiday and everyone looks like everyone back home.

Weird.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 8:34 pm

Thanks Raliegh , I'll be googling that.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 9:23 am

I have often commented that certain people, usually famous ones, look like someone else. I noticed that Simon Baker of The Mentalist bears a striking resemblance to tennis player Denis Istomin.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 2:13 pm

Raleigh wrote:

Weird.

I can't guess if that would be scary or comforting.

After googling hyperfamiliarity I've realised how extreme this can be and is nothing close to what I do.

IstominFan wrote:
I have often commented that certain people, usually famous ones, look like someone else. I noticed that Simon Baker of The Mentalist bears a striking resemblance to tennis player Denis Istomin.

I just googled them both too see , and they do look somewhat similar ( definitely have the same hair in some photo's ) , I wouldn't go as far as striking though but that's just me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 8:37 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Is there a name for looking at someone and thinking they look like someone famous or someone else you know?
e.g. Seeing someone in the street and thinking they look like someone famous or seeing someone famous on TV and think they look like someone you know.

Is there a name for finding this connection? or is it just human nature.

I'm not sure it's a common thing in the spectrum community ? due to the chance of having prosopagnosia

The word for it "they remind me of someone else".

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 9:13 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Weird.

I can't guess if that would be scary or comforting.

It's a bit of a bummer when you've gone on holiday to get away from all those people. :lol:

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 6:53 pm

I thought I was the only one that did this.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 7:00 pm

I'm facially blind to the extent I don't even recognise many famous people, so it doesn't happen to me often.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2020, 5:26 pm

Ok, I do have prosopragnosia and sometimes I may have it and other times I may not, and as it is something where I don't know if I have not recognized someone or not, I can't exactly define when I will be ok at recognizing people or when I do not, as I get the feeling that sometimes I can, and other times I do not (I find out from someone else who asks why I didn't say hello etc).
I did tend to over compensate and greet everyone just in case! However, I sometimes ended up in conversations with people who know me and I don't have a clue who I am talking to! And if I ask they will be deeply offended, so I carry on the conversation hoping to gain a few clues! And I have had lengthy conversations where I am prolonging them to try to find clues, and we eventually part with them looking happy and me not having a clue to this very day as to who they are!

But anyway... I have also had situations where I have thought I have known someone but it turns out when I go to speak to them, that it is not the person who I think that it is. This has been soo embarissing and has happened to me a few times, that if I see someone I think I know but am not 100% sure that I know them, I will refrain from approaching them just incase I mess up.

I sometimes get situations which are connected to faceblindness where I see someone that I know them from somewhere, but I can't think who they are or where I know them from. One famous time for me was when I saw a lady with her little boy. I said "Hello" and the boy seemed to know me. I carried on walking and reached the other end of the street and joined the queue inside the old Midland bank. All the time in my mind I was going through everyone I could think of who it may be. Eventually I came to closer family and.... Oh dear! It was my mother and my little brother! Now this took me ages to work out who it was and my Mum was trying to do the same thing as she has the same issues as well! If we had met at home it would not be a problem.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2020, 5:31 pm

It's like being a super recogniser, with false positives.

I really wish this wasn't an old thread. :(

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2020, 5:41 pm

Shall we make a new one of the same type?