Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 12:25 pm

Any other history nerds get crushes on historical figures (or the younger incarnations of current ones)?

(I myself am partial to Antoine Saint-Exupery, Bob Dylan, Hunter S. Thompson and Russ Tamblyn when they were all in their twenties respectively.)

This is a real phenomena. There are entire livejournal communities, subreddits, and tumblr blogs devoted to people posting about historical figures they think are attractive. Almost all of them have at least once or twice gotten a picture of young Joseph Stalin submitted to them, and/or Lewis Powell (who was part of the plot to assassinate Lincoln and is the subject of a now infamous picture that looks more modern than the 1860s). Hot Stalin and hot Lewis Powell have apparently become a bit of a meme...

I'm not surprised by the fact that people get crushes on historical figures (it's basically the same as a celebrity crush), although I find it slightly amusing that there seem to be online communities that specifically come together to discuss the dead people they're infatuated with. People can be wonderfully odd.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 12:34 pm

I have man-crushes on Abraham Lincoln, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, Menachem Begin, Leopold Sedar Senghor and Vasco da Gama.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!