Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 12:58 pm

So many here with niche interests and hobbies I thought I might get a response. :)

Sewing isn’t my thing and I know very few ppl I can ask, maybe one of my aunts.

Anyways, a very good friend of mine has been wanting to get into sewing for the purpose of fashion design - specifically men’s underwear, if that make a difference in terms of the ideal machine due to materials/project size etc.

I’ve been contemplating buying them their first machine & perhaps accessories like shears and pattern making supplies - but I’d hate to buy a machine that’s friendly to learn on but then useless for the desired task. Rather just get it right.

This is amazon’s reco for a sewing machine - seems to be quite the high volume seller and highly rated. I like that one review points out that it’s mechanical vs digital so less to go wrong and thus more reliable long term:

https://www.amazon.ca/Singer-4423-Heavy ... B003VWXZQ0

Would something like this do? Or would you recommend something different entirely? TIA

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Nov 2020, 1:06 pm

Not an expert but a hobbyist.
For underwear, you should rather look for an overlock machine - much better suited for jersey typically used in underwear.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 1:25 pm

Define “jersey,” material. Is that like typical cotton underwear/boxer briefs?

I’d imagine what they have in mind is a bit finer fabrics if that makes a difference. Maybe not quite silk, but Most Likely a bit finer than the typical Calvin Klein’s - but maybe Also nearly identical fabrics to the typical Calvin Klein’s.

Is there a simple explanation of what an “overlock,” machine is vs a regular one so that a layman like me can understand the difference and why it’s a better choice?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Nov 2020, 1:35 pm

Generally, fine knitted fabric.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlock
It's a specialized machine that uses several threads and cuts the fabric just at the seam.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 1:54 pm

Aaaah, a “Serger,” as we call them here in North America & I recall from Jr. High School home economics sewing class.

I see on google that a Serger/Overlock *cannot* be used to make a straight stitch. I wonder if Both types of machines might be required to stitch men’s underwear? Or are All seams on all styles of underwear typically done with a serger/overlock? Looking at one pair of boxer briefs right now it seems that all seams on them are serged - but I’ll have to go through my underwear drawer and have a look at various styles and see if it looks like Every seam is always serged or if some are a combination thus requiring more than one machine to complete a project. Hmm

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Nov 2020, 2:29 pm

In a fully equipped workshop, there would be both.
Sergers, as you call them, are more often used on thin and stretchy fabrics.