Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 6:05 am

Many times this is happening. Private innocent conversations we are having in the house where we have not even mentioned to anyone else, let alone mentioned the subject online are suddenly coming up as online adverts.
It is NOT a co-incidence as the subject would never normally be seen up as an advert for products relating to the topic.

So who is listening into private conversations and posting these adverts up as suggestions?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 8:16 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Many times this is happening. Private innocent conversations we are having in the house where we have not even mentioned to anyone else, let alone mentioned the subject online are suddenly coming up as online adverts.
It is NOT a co-incidence as the subject would never normally be seen up as an advert for products relating to the topic.

So who is listening into private conversations and posting these adverts up as suggestions?
Alexa, for one.  If you have a microphone on your tablet or PC, you should disable it whenever you are not using it.  Same for mobile phones.  You never know who may be listening.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 8:18 am

Fnord wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Alexa, for one.  If you have a microphone on your tablet or PC, you should disable it whenever you are not using it.  Same for mobile phones.  You never know who may be listening.

Not sure how to dissable it on the tablet as it is built in. I do not have alexa.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 8:36 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Many times this is happening.  Private innocent conversations we are having in the house where we have not even mentioned to anyone else, let alone mentioned the subject online are suddenly coming up as online adverts.  It is NOT a co-incidence as the subject would never normally be seen up as an advert for products relating to the topic.  So who is listening into private conversations and posting these adverts up as suggestions?
Not sure how to disable it on the tablet as it is built in.  I do not have Alexa.
SHH!  Don't say her name out loud; you never know in which device she may be lurking!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

28 Sep 2020, 8:43 am

Cortana, Siri, Alexa, Google Home, Roku streaming devices, Smart TVs. Anything remotely recent that can take a voice command, you will want to turn off those settings. You will also want to look up privacy settings and disable any data collection you can find. A lot of Apps will also feed off this information separate from device settings, kind of like if you link accounts or use apps on Facebook, they will usually pull your data if you agree to use them. There are some guides online that can highlight the settings you need to disable, but you will want to look it up per individual device. This is why "net neutrality" and similar protections are important, not to mention removing things like the patriot act that invade privacy. We took a big hit to net neutrality a few years ago and it shows.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 9:11 am

The use of ai, data mining and data analytics are now common place among people in marketing.

Such data mining collects the data, ai and data analytics analyses the data, the marketing people make the ads, and the ai tells the ad fields in the web pages you visit what ad to place based on the data they have collected on you.

You tube do it, loads of websites do it.

Every time i watch a you tube video, i get adverts from a website that teaches bass playing, because i have previously clicked on the bass player youtube channel.

If someone else watched the same you tube video, they would get an advert for something that their into.
Its intelligent advertising, tailoring the adverts to the user, to maximise potential for sales/profit.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 9:20 am

madbutnotmad wrote:
The use of ai, data mining and data analytics are now common place among people in marketing.

Such data mining collects the data, ai and data analytics analyses the data, the marketing people make the ads, and the ai tells the ad fields in the web pages you visit what ad to place based on the data they have collected on you.

You tube do it, loads of websites do it.

Every time i watch a you tube video, i get adverts from a website that teaches bass playing, because i have previously clicked on the bass player youtube channel.

If someone else watched the same you tube video, they would get an advert for something that their into.
Its intelligent advertising, tailoring the adverts to the user, to maximise potential for sales/profit.

If it was on information I had clicked on I would not be bothered. This is adverts based on private conversations in our house and ones in which no one has used the internet based on these subjects (In other words, ones tablet device has listened in to a conversation and put up the appropiate adds.

This devide does have Google play and it can not be dissabled as it is inbuilt into the device (I have tried dissabling it when I first had it). I have never purposly turned it on or used it as I do not like the internet to know my voice.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 9:36 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
madbutnotmad wrote:
The use of AI, data mining and data analytics are now common place among people in marketing.  Such data mining collects the data, AI and data analytics analyses the data, the marketing people make the ads, and the AI tells the ad fields in the web pages you visit what ad to place based on the data they have collected on you.  YouTube do it, loads of websites do it.  Every time I watch a YouTube video, I get adverts from a website that teaches bass playing, because I have previously clicked on the bass player YouTube channel.  If someone else watched the same YouTube video, they would get an advert for something that they're into.  Its intelligent advertising, tailoring the adverts to the user, to maximize potential for sales/profit.
If it was on information I had clicked on I would not be bothered.  This is adverts based on private conversations in our house and ones in which no one has used the Internet based on these subjects (In other words, one's tablet device has listened in to a conversation and put up the appropriate ads.  This divide does have Google play and it can not be disabled as it is inbuilt into the device (I have tried disabling it when I first had it).  I have never purposely turned it on or used it as I do not like the Internet to know my voice.
Any mobile device with a microphone, and any Internet-connected device with a microphone can be used in this way.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 9:54 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Not sure how to dissable it on the tablet as it is built in. I do not have alexa.

Have Alexa. Walk the plank ...... or. Just throw her overboard .

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 10:04 am

There should be laws against electronic snooping . Hmmm.... thinks there already are ? Search settings in yourmachine open apps and programs , as you click on them. Turn off micro function to everything ..unless. You have phone apps. Then it’s different . And don’t let the pop up box “ turning off this feature may affect functionality of the app or program .” If you want features of that app you can always go back and turn the microphone on temporarily.

The wonders of the,“ internet of things “ has grown , outta control already .

Beware of. Future thought crimes ....?

where ever you go ,there you are

Carpeta
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 10:08 am

Any smart phone with a microphone can cause this, and I think any laptop or tablet with a microphone as well. It's happened to me many times just being near a tablet or smart phone. Yes, it's very disturbing and upsetting.

RAADS-R: 122.0

Not a doctor.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 10:29 am

I can't find anything to turn off the microphone. I could take the tablet apart and if I can find it, I can cut the wire to it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2020, 10:48 am

Jakki wrote:
There should be laws against electronic snooping...
They exist; but first you must be able to prove spying, who is doing it, and how they get it done.

Mere suspicion is not proof, and just because spying can happen does not mean that it is happening.