Page 4 of 39 [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 39  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 11:30 pm

adromedanblackhole wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Thank you for your input. This thread was not started to convince anyone of anything. Not interested in debating with skeptics. Referenced what I already follow to avoid a repetition of that information.

You didn't make that totally clear, in your first post. :mrgreen:

Rather than debate against your ideas, I may ask questions about them.
But then, I may not. :wink:

Yes, Fnordy is quite something. :mrgreen:

He's stepped back
Pepe you're generally fine wherever you post you're a very agreeable fun person and I've yet to find you in a thread where you're antagonistic or anything short of pleasant

I'm on this site first and foremost to just have fun with people who share my interests and can relate to being a space oddity (David Bowie reference anyone...)

I'm not interested in creating an Oxford-style debate, which is horrendously tedious and boring to be a part of on a topic that is just fun and interesting to me - if you have questions and especially if they're fun or imaginative have a go

Thank you for your pleasant post.
I appreciate that greatly.

I will always respect your wishes when they are made clear. ;)

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 11:31 pm

Pepe wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
I apologize. I did not realize this was a restricted thread.

It wasn't made clear that it was, originally.
No need to apologise.
Just respect adromedanblackhole's wishes now. ;)

I suspect adromedanblackhole will comprehensively indicate her wishes in her first post in new threads, in future threads. 8)

Its not restricted, but derailing/refocusing threads in the way it happened in this thread is against site rules.

Quote:
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

.....behavior intended to provoke or belittle other members

I don't believe in interfering aliens so I have nothing to contribute. That is all from me. :)

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 11:31 pm

Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
I apologize. I did not realize this was a restricted thread.
It is an open thread.  Post freely.

Fnord seems to be eager to display a lack of basic decency.
Original post, simple request for those who are not interested in the subject - you have better uses of your time. Skepticism is just not interesting as many of us are familiar with your perspective, not the point of the thread. Thank you.

This is what you said in your first post:
Quote:
If you don't believe in aliens, that's great not sure why you opened this thread and why you would feel the need to post.

I didn't read it to mean you didn't want alternative opinions, just that you would be surprised if they were given. ;)

Most of us here are on the spectrum.
A more direct approach is usually the better way to go. :wink:

Thank you Pepe, it feels a little severe to be more direct than that. It's fine. I'm not upset. I hope you are not upset. Everything is fine.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 11:39 pm

I'm not interested in creating an Oxford-style debate - or any formal style debate, which tends to happen on topics such as this

<snip>

But when a conversation takes the tone of a debate uhhh the back and forth is just becomes so horrendously tedious and boring to be a part of on a topic that is just fun and interesting to me - if you have questions and especially if they're fun or imaginative have a go

I am exactly the same.
I have often told people that I am overwhelmingly not interested in a debate.
Rather, I am interested in a *discussion* with the intention of mutual sharing and/or enlightenment.

I grew up in a family environment which always played the "Devil's advocacy" game.
Needless to say, I have very little time for that. ;)

Ciao...

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 11:53 pm

Pepe wrote:

I'm not interested in creating an Oxford-style debate - or any formal style debate, which tends to happen on topics such as this

<snip>

But when a conversation takes the tone of a debate uhhh the back and forth is just becomes so horrendously tedious and boring to be a part of on a topic that is just fun and interesting to me - if you have questions and especially if they're fun or imaginative have a go

I am exactly the same.
I have often told people that I am overwhelmingly not interested in a debate.
Rather, I am interested in a *discussion* with the intention of mutual sharing and/or enlightenment.

I grew up in a family environment which always played the "Devil's advocacy" game.
Needless to say, I have very little time for that. ;)

Ciao...

Just for clarity's sake, I wasn't explicitly referencing you by saying I didn't want to create a debate - I was not assuming you were trying to create one either. More that was the reasoning behind why I casually ended my first post the way I did. It was more an allusion to someone else who more or less was trying to establish the ground rules for turning this topic into a debate style discussion which you agree with me can be so very exhausting.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 4:02 am

The way I see it,
The person who creates a thread has some control over the thread.
As simple as that. ;)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Oct 2020, 5:30 am

^ Exactly. It's their thread, their topic, in their style and to their liking.
To an extent, the OP is the moderator of their own thread.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 5:42 am

thank you for stepping in, admin. this thread was beginning to make me feel uncomfortable.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 6:00 am

I'm on this site first and foremost to just have fun with people who share my interests and can relate to being a space oddity (David Bowie reference anyone...)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 6:06 am

I am legitimately interested in hearing as far out as far out can get in terms of people's theories on this. Please direct if there is a better place that this thread can go aside from Getting To Know Each Other.

I will start. It seems likely to me that humanity is a seeded intelligence of a higher life source that came to the planet a few 100,000 years ago and has assisted man in his evolution. I am also current on the Anunnaki theories about humanity being a type of slave race that is here on this planet to assist in extracting its valuable minerals for our slave masters the Anunnaki. I am also up to date on the lizard people theories as well. If anyone wants to go in extreme detail on any of these, please be my guest. If there are other theories by all means have at it. I have watched a few videos from "The Disclosure Project" founder Steven Macon Greer. Just curious if this is a curiosity limited to me or if this is a broadly defined interest of most Aspies. Lord King of all the Aspies, Gary McKinnon, clearly shares this fascination.

If you don't believe in aliens, that's great not sure why you opened this thread and why you would feel the need to post.

I'm a known alien nutter so happy to debate the topic

I used Whitley Streiber's front cover for his book "Communion" as my WP avatar Imageavatar

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 6:12 am

Fnord wrote:
UFO "theorists" seem to realize how easy it is to find support for their ideas when they systematically exclude alternatives from consideration (called "Resisting Falsification").  However, their methods always follow those employed by conspiracy theorists -- assumptions, bias confirmation, circular reasoning, connecting the dots, et cetera -- and does not follow any establish forensic method.  In fact, belief in UFO theories is generally based not on evidence, but in the faith of the believer.

It seems that interest in UFOs is more of a religion than a science.

I'm afraid those days are gone now Fnord. According to the scientific method there is no known alternative explanation that can explain some UFOs which in observational science justifies the continued monitoring of UFOs until verification can take place.

The old addage that "until hard evidence proves the objects are extraterrestrial its swamp gas or the planet venus" is actually more ignorant. At least the UFO believers are both creative and imaginative.

Skeptics are increasingly looking like naysayers

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 6:18 am

I do believe in aliens.

Due to the sheer size of the universe I find it extremely unlikely that intelligent life has not evolved on many worlds. The observable universe alone contains more than 2 trillions galaxies, and this may even only be a tiny fraction of the entire universe, of which we can only speculate.

However, due to the very same sheer size of the universe I find it extremely unlikely that any alien civilization has ever or will ever come into contact with human civilization before we go extinct. Even if we didn't have nukes, a lot of stuff could easily kill us off in the next few million years. And we *do* have nukes.

All available evidence also suggests that the speed of light is in fact an insurmountable barrier when it comes to space travel, and travelling at even a small fraction of this speed will require tremendous amounts of energy.

On a purely theoretical level, one cannot discount the possibility of warp drives (Alcubierre Drive), in which case aliens could circumvent the cosmic speed limit of c. But an alien species with such an extreme level of scientific knowledge would probably have no use of a slave race to extract resources, as constructing robots to do this for them would be an almost trivial task by comparison.

The petty resources on a single terrestrial planet in our solar system would probably also be beneath the notice of such a highly advanced species.

Perhaps they would take our sun and use it as fuel for the voyage to the next galaxy, though.

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 8:43 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
UFO "theorists" seem to realize how easy it is to find support for their ideas when they systematically exclude alternatives from consideration (called "Resisting Falsification").  However, their methods always follow those employed by conspiracy theorists -- assumptions, bias confirmation, circular reasoning, connecting the dots, et cetera -- and does not follow any establish forensic method.  In fact, belief in UFO theories is generally based not on evidence, but in the faith of the believer.

It seems that interest in UFOs is more of a religion than a science.

I'm afraid those days are gone now Fnord. According to the scientific method there is no known alternative explanation that can explain some UFOs which in observational science justifies the continued monitoring of UFOs until verification can take place.

The old addage that "until hard evidence proves the objects are extraterrestrial its swamp gas or the planet venus" is actually more ignorant. At least the UFO believers are both creative and imaginative.

Skeptics are increasingly looking like naysayers

Without goading anyone into a debate, what's the most interesting idea you've heard?

For me it's that we have made contact and communicate with life forms of a higher dimension through the unified field where allegedly communication can travel across vast physical space instantly, faster than the speed of light. Not sure how much merits this idea has, just find it interesting.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 10:26 pm

GGPViper wrote:

I do believe in aliens.

Due to the sheer size of the universe I find it extremely unlikely that intelligent life has not evolved on many worlds. The observable universe alone contains more than 2 trillions galaxies, and this may even only be a tiny fraction of the entire universe, of which we can only speculate.

However, due to the very same sheer size of the universe I find it extremely unlikely that any alien civilization has ever or will ever come into contact with human civilization before we go extinct. Even if we didn't have nukes, a lot of stuff could easily kill us off in the next few million years. And we *do* have nukes..

I think you have perfectly summarised scientific consensus to a tee.

The probability that we are the only intelligent life in the universe is infinitesimally low but there are so many caveats that it would take an entire book to write them all. The major issue is if there is other alien life then how advanced are they?

One perspective is that assuming the big bang is correct (I have some concerns with this theory) then the earth has only appeared many billions of years after other earth like planets elsewhere so life has had opportunity to evolve perhaps trillions of times before out ancestors crawled out of the warm bubbling pools to occupy the earth.

You second assertion is based on an enormous assumption that a life form that has evolved far beyond earthlings is not capable of traversing the interstellar distances that seem insurmountable to us humans. I posit there may be life forms that could be billions of years old so it seems odd they would be unable to travel? but even a humanoid life form that's a measly 100 yrs more advanced might have cracked the code to break time/space barriers.

Many scientist of course subscribe to the "quiet universe theory" asserting that if life was common then surely we would be seeing aliens travelling everywhere. We don't though. But that plays into the "If I can't see it then it doesn't exist" paradigm which is unscientific.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 10:33 pm

For me it's that we have made contact and communicate with life forms of a higher dimension through the unified field where allegedly communication can travel across vast physical space instantly, faster than the speed of light. Not sure how much merits this idea has, just find it interesting.

Both Nicola Tesla and Benjamin Franklin subscribe to receiving interstellar communication that initiated their work on inventions they came up with.

I was fascinated to note the founding American founding fathers (including Franklin) all subscribed to the masonic belief in life in outer space and the possibility of aliens visiting earth,.

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2020, 10:38 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Many scientist of course subscribe to the "quiet universe theory" asserting that if life was common then surely we would be seeing aliens travelling everywhere. We don't though. But that plays into the "If I can't see it then it doesn't exist" paradigm which is unscientific.

This is partly why some, such as Lord King Autist Supreme Gary McKinnon, suspect a colluded cover up from the highest levels of human civilization which led him to hack 97 US Military and NASA computers in search of proof.
No one is really sure what he found.

Ah I already deleted the rest of the quote but you seem to be referencing the panspermia hypothesis