The reason why I don't use emoticons much on WP

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 7:47 pm

Is because I hate some of them. They don't express the emotions I want to express. The emoticons on Facebook and my text messaging and all that are much better at illustrating emotions.

:D <<------------ I don't know why but I hate this one. It sometimes expresses naivety or even emotional manipulation. One time, a long time ago, I remember there was a member here who created a thread asking for people to reveal their PIN numbers, and he used this stupid emoticon, and I wasn't sure if he was just blissfully unaware of the fact that he was asking for personal information, or if he was a hacker or thief. Whichever the reason, this annoying face was used and it could have been either way.

:x <<------------ I hardly use this when angry because it just doesn't seem to express true anger at all, only in a jokey way. Angry emoticons need to be red, like they are on Facebook.

But there are some emoticons here that do illustrate my emotions.
:roll: <<------------ This one is one of them. This one illustrates anger, annoyance or despair. It really expresses my emotions and whenever I use it I feel it means "what I'm writing is not to be taken lightly".

I know there are more choices of emoticons if you click on "view more smilies" but this feature is very fiddly to use on a phone.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 7:52 pm

I agree, the set of emoticons here isn't great. You might be able to use unicode emoticons though.

Looks like the database table collation doesn't allow unicode characters. I got an SQL error on post when I tried to submit.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 9:28 pm

I don't like this one: :twisted:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 9:50 pm

I like the sticker emoticons on Facebook. I use the Cut the Rope ones with Om Nom, the candy eating Sweet Pea.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Mar 2021, 2:23 pm

Joe90 wrote:
:D <<------------ I don't know why but I hate this one. It sometimes expresses naivety or even emotional manipulation. One time, a long time ago, I remember there was a member here who created a thread asking for people to reveal their PIN numbers, and he used this stupid emoticon, and I wasn't sure if he was just blissfully unaware of the fact that he was asking for personal information, or if he was a hacker or thief. Whichever the reason, this annoying face was used and it could have been either way.
Considering that emoji is & what the thread was about, I woulda automatically assumed that post was a joke. That emoji is used a bit when people are joking

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

09 Mar 2021, 3:07 pm

I often use that top one :D because I want one that's grinning. I prefer this one :mrgreen: but avoid it a bit because I don't know why it's green.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2021, 6:15 pm

nick007 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Considering that emoji is & what the thread was about, I woulda automatically assumed that post was a joke. That emoji is used a bit when people are joking

Yes it is often used in a post where someone is joking but it's appearance still annoys me for some reason, which is why I seldom use it. I have synesthesia so some emoticons I can "hear", and this one is the only emoticon that I can "hear" (but can't describe its sound).

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2021, 6:27 pm

OutsideView wrote:
I often use that top one :D because I want one that's grinning. I prefer this one :mrgreen: but avoid it a bit because I don't know why it's green.

I wondered the same thing and a quick Google search did not reveal a definite answer. Either it means sarcastic or very happy. The two are far from being the same thing.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2021, 6:33 pm

They remind me of very old fashioned ones.

I use emojis/emoticons on Twitter, here and on Wattsapp.

On Wattsapp I use Gifs too.

Gifs are more interesting and creative to me because you can choose the character, how exactly they're acting etc. So much goes into choosing a gif for me.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2021, 6:35 pm

OutsideView wrote:

I luv the green smilie. :heart:
That is the one you choose when you are feeling 'alien'-ated.
I always feel that way. :mrgreen: