Page 9 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 7:17 pm

Shellbelle wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Not quite but close. I have made kits, and I have also done partial scratchbuilds which involves using a model train in 00 gauge (4mm scale. Similar to H0 but H0 is 3.5mm scale. They run on the same track gauge), and converting it to 7mm narrow gauge (0-16.5 which is the UK's version of 0n30 (Or 0e in Europe)).
To do this involves building a new cab and chimney and altering a few additional things.

I have totally scratchbuilt waggons and a carriage.

You have accomplished a lot. When you build an engine, will you include the process here?

If I remember I will. :D

I have been studying methods to make my own parts.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 7:19 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
https://youtu.be/ruBczx4lxLs

That's pretty inventive!

Am greatly entertained that the brake is "a new addition".

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 7:22 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
https://youtu.be/ruBczx4lxLs

That's pretty inventive!

Am greatly entertained that the brake is "a new addition".

I was watching the build bit by bit, and also the development of their railway and other interesting gadgets and items.. Everything there is a work in progress.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 8:17 am

Sounds like my life… lolz work in progress ……. It was brilliant compressed air railroad… seems that idea should have spread around . 8)

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 10:32 am

Jakki wrote:
Sounds like my life… lolz work in progress ……. It was brilliant compressed air railroad… seems that idea should have spread around . 8)

Compressed air locos are not new. Fireless steam locos were more popular though. Both were used in areas where using a steam loco or using a petrol or a diesel engined loco (Or electric if not powered from internal batteries) was risky due to sparks.

Here is a narrow gauge compressed air locomotive. Wait until about 55 seconds onwards. Worth watching the other loco that is used before as well!

https://youtu.be/nSR9ieFxOW0

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 10:55 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Worth watching the other loco that is used before as well!

Is it a Lister?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:18 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Worth watching the other loco that is used before as well!

Is it a Lister?

Not sure actully but the guys on the narrow gauge site will know. I did see a lovely waggon made by Hudson if I am correct. I know who has one just like it at a guest house.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 6:20 am

Loved the whistling pig….. it was fun just to hear it run..(HUGE AIRTANK) omg .. :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 7:58 am

Jakki wrote:
Loved the whistling pig….. it was fun just to hear it run..(HUGE AIRTANK) omg .. :D

I chose that one due to its sound. It is interesting. Someone on the narrow gauge railway modellers site made a model of it and added DCC sound and recorded the loco so they could get the sound right. I am not into DCC as I prefer to keep things simple.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:17 pm

You know those gaffes you make, well, other people make during operating sessions?
Yeah, there's a prototype for that ...
:lol:

Quote:
I was standing on the platform at Kidderminster Station on the SVR when I filmed this Western backing onto its train, then someone shouted to the driver that he was on the wrong rake of coaches, so it then moved platforms and departed on its train on time.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:53 pm

Powerful locos those Westerns as hydraulic transmissions meant they could get more power to the wheels than a diesel electric.
I was once told that a Hymek (Diesel hydraulic), though being a much smaller loco could easily outpull a typical class 47 when it came to long passenger trains as class 47's would drop time if pulling any kore than a ten coach express whilst a Hymek could manage 16 coaches and keep to time from what a driver told me who used to work them both. I could not believe my ears when I heard that but it was true. The only reason why British Rail scrapped the hydraulics (A small number were rescued and preserved) even though they were only ten years old or less was that BR decided to have a diesel electric policy as diesel electrics could spend a little longer time out on the rails between servicing, and though the difference was only around a couple of hundred hours at the most, they were looking at economy and not how much the locos could pull.
In the past we had experimental locos of 4000hp which were more powerful but the extra fuel a more powerful loco would need compared to how often it would need to be used made the railways not consider them. After all, if one needed to pull a "One off" heavyweight train, one could always have two locos pulling instead as it was cheaper in the long run then have to keep a more powerful loco in service.
The USA has very long frieght trains to pull so needs more powerful locos.
Our eaviest freight was the iron ore trains going to the steel works in Port Talbot in Wales (South Wales) and they were usually pulled by two class 56's, and if no pairs of class 56's were available, they used three class 37's instead which was quite a sight to see. The idea in Britain at the time was to have most of the locos to be jack of all trades so if there was a sudden need, be it a passenger or a freight train that needed to be pulled instead of waiting for a specific loco to get there to pull it, they would take the nearest available loco and there was some sense in this as it meant less delays. .

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 2:07 pm

Interesting. :D

Mountain Goat wrote:
The USA has very long frieght trains to pull

And some of those get pulled a very long distance, like between Los Angeles and Chicago.
I live not too far from BNSF's route between those cities.

For those more familiar with Europe, the Chicago to LA distance is on par with Lisbon, Portugal, to Warsaw, Poland.

A place live streaming a town in here in Missouri on that route where those long trains can be watched:
It features an Amtrak, previously Santa Fe, passenger station currently in-progress being remodeled.

Quote:
ABOUT THIS FEED:

La Plata, MO, in Northern Missouri, is located on BNSF Railway's Marceline Subdivision at milepost 312.7, part of their Southern Transcon, the former Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway (AT&SF) mainline between Chicago and Los Angeles.

Amtrak’s "Southwest Chief" passenger train stops here twice a day , the eastbound train #4 in the morning and the westbound train #3 in the evening.

The typical BNSF freight train volume is between 50 and 70 trains per 24 hours.