Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Jul 2007, 3:38 pm

graelwyn that looks like a sweet stone there, how common is it?

parts
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 4:04 pm

richardbenson wrote:
ascan wrote:
What type of fossils do you collect, richardbenson?
mostely sharks teeth :D

Have you ever been to Venice Florida? I used to live one town over and we would make a day of going to Venice beach and collect them you could get a coffee cup full in a day.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 4:06 pm

richardbenson wrote:
graelwyn that looks like a sweet stone there, how common is it?

Not common at all, sadly. There were only 2 pieces where I bought it and not seen it anywhere else since and I go in a lot of shops selling this stuff.
It turns up on ebay sometimes though.
It is known to be the oldest gem/stone in existence tho...around 5 billion years if I recall rightly.

Hmm, found this info on it too.

Nuummit (also spelled as Nuummite) is an extremely rare mineral with an amazingly old age!

Its occurrence is limited almost exclusively to the Nuuk region of southwestern Greenland from where it gets its name. It has since been found in several localities in the outer part of the Godthabsfjord near Nuuk.

Nuummite is a gemstone formed from a mixture of two minerals from the Orthoamphibole Group, Anthophyllite and Gedrite.

Nuummit occurs in brown (including golden brown), green and nearly black with remarkable rainbow flashes. Nuummit is a foliated metamorphic rock and is approximately 3.8 billion years old. It is composed of Magnesium, Iron, Silicon, Oxygen and Hydrogen. By virtue of its age Nuummit is unique - there quite simply is no other comparable material of the same age anywhere on the planet.

Nuummite is generally easy to polish, even though, in certain qualities of gemstones with many parallel crystals, it can be difficult to avoid holes and cracks. While Nuummit has been used for untold centuries as beads and ornamental stones, it has just recently appeared in the gemstone market. It has since been fashioned into extremely attractive cabochons and miscellaneous shaped pieces for Jewelry. In larger pieces it is possible to retain most of the colors of the iridescence (i.e. the rainbow like color effects seen in some gems), so that one end of the cabochon has a golden hue while the opposite end has a bluish tone.

Other minor occurrences of Nuummit include Spain and southwest of Douglas, Converse County, Wyoming, U.S.A. but it is only in the Greenland type that the coloration is well enough developed to be suitable for gemstones.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Jul 2007, 4:11 pm

wow 8O
meterorites are about the same age

yeah i knew about the sharks teeth in floriduh thingy/ can you find the big guys there or just the small ones? i saw a show and i think they were in some river in floriduh looking for teeth :)

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 4:11 pm

No, but I'd like to. :D

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Jul 2007, 4:13 pm

Alternative wrote:
its a great hobby and very addicting! :idea:

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 4:15 pm

richardbenson wrote:
Alternative wrote:

I might consider collecting. Shame I don't have a camera phone to share of such future findings. :(

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 4:18 pm

First is another Greenlandic one called Tugtupite...these shine all kinds of colours under certain lighting conditions.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 4:19 pm

richardbenson wrote:
Alternative wrote:

What stone is there that you haven't got yet that you most want?
We have a shop here that is closing soon that has quite a lot of different gemstones. I go there every day and look at them all, lol. Got some apatite today.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Jul 2007, 4:30 pm

probably some orange topaz. of any substantal crystal weight, :D

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 4:33 pm

Not seen that... seen a nice piece of orange quartz here though.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Jul 2007, 4:36 pm

yah theres some orange quartz that comes out of brazil that looks almost identical to some highend pieces of topaz :D

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 5:04 pm

I am trying to find some decent and genuine firey opal... I am sick of seeing the fake crap on ebay.

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2007, 5:10 pm

A few months ago I got bored, and my fellow undiagnosed autie friend and I decided to go to Toys R Us.

Needless to say, I was compelled to buy a rock tumbler at the low price of 25 canadian dollars (In grade 3 I collected rocks). But I found some electric racecar tracks, and bought two of them so I could make a gargantuan track. Eventually we got bored of flinging the cars off the track so we set it up in a straight line and my friend started driving the cars into my genitals as we video taped it.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Jul 2007, 5:12 pm

fire opal is cool. i like the blood red varity or the really light orange stuff, (almost green looking) fire agate is also very cool!

heres some i have in a ring

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 5:49 pm

Thats beautiful richard.
It is so expensive to buy any in jewellry here.
I like the pieces that shine blue/green most