"Maybe goldfish shouldn't be at the meetings."

Page 5 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 12:53 pm

Use a rental management company next time.I am.I will gladly hand over 15% of the rent to never deal with a tenant again.
Live and learn.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 1:48 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Use a rental management company next time.I am.I will gladly hand over 15% of the rent to never deal with a tenant again.
Live and learn.

Nah.

My friend's business literally operates out of the same building. We're on site. Also, 15% on those two units would be $1500-1700 or so/month. Plus I've already studied the real estate/property manager/mortgage broker course work and know what they know. I'm fully capable of telling the guy what to do and when to do it, and of calling in a Bailiff to collect or evict when they don't. Def not worth $1500-1700/mo to have someone else tell him to pay his bills. (But totally worth $15k or whatever to just get rid of him completely.)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 6:06 pm

Sent him a few emails today telling him to get repairs completed - urgent ones, ones requiring no permit to be done before permits arrive, and then to arrange contractors for the permit only work. Of course he won't do any of it ever, but I'll still phone him Monday morning about it.. he won't answer so I'll text him, he'll ignore that so I'll go down to his shop and pay him a visit to ask him to tell me when his contractors are scheduled for various work. He's had 2 years to schedule them.. IF he actually schedules and pays for anything, bonus, but I anticipate asking him several times within 48h and then informing him that we'll invoice him for whatever it costs & then he'll either pay the invoice Or pay the invoice And our legal costs of recovery - just like he had to pay the Bailiffs' fees yesterday. :)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 7:26 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Live and learn.

Nah.

My friend's business literally operates out of the same building. We're on site. Also, 15% on those two units would be $1500-1700 or so/month. Plus I've already studied the real estate/property manager/mortgage broker course work and know what they know. I'm fully capable of telling the guy what to do and when to do it, and of calling in a Bailiff to collect or evict when they don't. Def not worth $1500-1700/mo to have someone else tell him to pay his bills. (But totally worth $15k or whatever to just get rid of him completely.)

If you have money , that’s just chump change. :lol:
I like the fact they will evict and get another tenant in and I don’t have to do a thing.If papers need to be filed they do it.They also do a more complete background check than I could ever do and the prospective tenant has to pay to have that done.It weeds out the dead beats.
I won’t ever have to talk to the tenet or waste my time on them.I never have to see them ,so for me, absolutely worth it.
We will have to fix the screens they knocked out,( how do you knock every screen out of a house??) tidy up yard ,some fresh paint to brighten interiors up and we are good to go.
They had purchased a new fridge, about a 1,500$ one and we seized it.New locks on house and a big fat lock and chain on the gate.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 12:49 pm

The 5 unit building on a full acre cost $6.1M about 2 years ago and is currently worth just North of $7M, plus my friend's business makes enough money to pay the bills even with zero tenants. But that doesn't mean he doesn't want the mortgage helper. And even having the cash available, there's no sense in wasting it ever - that's not how people make money. So, we'll never pay someone 15% to do what we can do ourselves in mere minutes per month with a Good tenant. Future tenants will be screened via background checks done by his legal team - should never have a deadbeat in this, or any future building, ever again.. and IF one happens to sneak in, they'll be dealt with swiftly vs. given the slack to F around.

My friend has ONLY been so patient with this guy because they had another business arrangement where he was supposed to be paying for permits and repairs to one of the units, which expanded to paying for the same on an unpermitted mezzanine in another unit.. and as of 2 days ago with confirmation from the City that he doesn't have a permit for the final mezzanine, either, it should extend to that one. (He lied repeatedly about having permits.) All of this work could cost as much as $150K. But at this point it's been nearly 2 years and hardly anything has been done or is in progress properly, so, my friend is prepared to cut him loose and complete the repairs himself if necessary and then sue the guy to recover expenses that were his obligation & commitment to pay for. 2 years of lost rent in the one unit so far = $80K loss on what should have been a 5-8 month project. It's still many months away from completion - so ridiculous. The old building owner has been off spending his Millions racing his cars instead of doing what he said he would, so, time to cut him loose ASA legally P and move on without him or his intentional delays or refusals to communicate.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 4:26 pm

Less than 2 weeks to go until we wash ours hands of this snakey guy! ..unless, against all odds, he does everything he's supposed to do and pulls off some sort of miracle and becomes a model tenant. :roll: :lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 8:48 pm

lololololol

Some people should speak to goldfish21 as if he was recording the conversation.. because I was. :lol:

Some funny parts in it for sure, but my favourite part is when this dumb contractor that works for the deadbeat responds to my questions about various subtrades getting to work/providing quotes with "We're working on it," to each trade I listed off. That's an acknowledgement that they're supposed to complete the work vs. his boss' attempt to deny responsibility for the repairs.

Morons. :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 5:50 pm

Interesting.. our litigator isn't sure if audio recordings are legal in this instance and has to look into it. If no other value, at least it's 11 minutes of entertainment for the crew working for my friend. :lol:

A couple of letters to draft and phone calls to make to lawyers and Bailiffs to ensure we're notifying this failing tenant properly & legally in terms of timing, deadlines, actions required and so forth so that once again when he doesn't complete them we have legal grounds to change the locks. So far he's been batting 1,000 in terms of failing to complete anything in full on time, soooo I'm fairly confident he's not going to do everything.

He may even be waiting for his lawyer's opinion on some things to give us some nonsense letters saying he doesn't have to do as we request or as he committed - actually, I'm almost certain he's going to do that as he smugly told me I'd, "have an answer by the end of the week probably." Regardless of what his lawyer says about unrelated business, his Lease Agreement is his Lease Agreement and he's the one that specified every word in it, sooooo, enforcing it with the advice of my friend's legal team is extra fun times. Hopefully we're only 2 or 3 more letters and ~9 days away from the locks being changed and an eviction notice posted - clean and legal. Then he'll complain as if we did something terrible blah blah blah and not take any responsibility for not doing the things his landlord told him to do under the lease, and we'll tell him to take off, eh! and only return the following week for a scheduled supervised move out with the Bailiffs keeping a watchful eye over the building to ensure he doesn't damage it on the way out the door.

Thinking out loud here, I suppose I'll have to ask the lawyers and Bailiffs what an appropriate amount of supervised moving time is (I'm thinking 2 x 8 hours days, at most, is fair. If we need 2 Bailiffs that's $2K/day but worth it to ensure he leaves peacefully.) Maybe we should give him 3 business days to arrange somewhere to move to (LOL - go rent every storage unit available for all I care) and then 2 days to gtfo. These are just my guesstimates, Lawyers and Bailiffs may have differing professional opinions which we will abide by as we have with all of their other advice. Best to keep these things 100% above board and avoid a smug schmuck wasting my friend's time & money in a courtroom.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 12:15 pm

Shower thought this morning:

When I add a reminder to the end of the list of demands to provide an banking pre-auth form for automatic electronic payment of rent as per the Lease Agreement I'm going to indicate that the holding company needs all tenants to pay their rent in full on time in order to pay it's commercial mortgage. He'll (mistakenly) assume my friend can't afford to go without his rental revenue and won't evict him for non-compliance on other demands, and then not do any of the things he's supposed to do on time, resulting in the locks getting changed - possibly to his surprise; but really it shouldn't be.. we're into the 3rd month of legal notices to complete these actions.

But if he pulls a Hail Mary and becomes a model tenant over a period of 7 days, well, I guess we keep depositing his rent. His brain is wired to try to get away with anything and everything he can try to pull a fast one with, though, so the probability of him doing as he's supposed to is approaching Zero, IMO.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 12:47 pm

Lawyer's confirmed yesterday that my wording was a-okay and I both hand delivered my letters & sent them registered mail.

He'll likely think my friend is bluffing and that he's hurting for cash and simply wants rent paid in full on time in order to make the mortgage payment. He may think that's why Bailiffs came and collected ~$16K owed last week, and why we're insisting on automatic electronic rent payment September 1st forward.

But the letter Does very clearly and legally state that he can pursue any and all remedies under the Lease, "up to and including termination." Sooooo... I'd rate the chances of the locks getting changed next Thursday or Friday as rather high.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 8:52 am

Coffee time, then I'm off to the building a couple hours early to do a little physical work before it gets too hot. Sometimes their employees are there quite early, but hopefully no one's there doing anything they're supposed to be getting done now or over the weekend. It'd be easier if they fail spectacularly vs. make a superhuman effort to become model tenants over the next week. Mind you, if they do, then I suppose they can stay.. I just don't see it happening considering they haven't done anything they're supposed to or have committed to.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 11:34 am

3 more sleeps! :lol:

1 more sleep until we give 24h notice of an inspection.
2 more sleeps until we do an inspection and take photos.
3 more sleeps until Bailiffs and a locksmith arrive to change the locks as there's about a snowball's chance in hell that the guy works miracles overnight and complies with all actions demanded in order to be in good standing with his lease.

And after the 4th sleep, we party - open house bbq on Saturday w/ a DJ and show cars. 8)

And then these guys will have 5 business days - one week - to sort out where to move to and then a supervised move out. They'll either have a storage facility/warehouse to move to, or their stuff will be moved to the Bailiff's storage facility and they can pay for moving & storage and then pay again to move it elsewhere.

That's the likely process that's about to unfold. The owner guy deserves to reap what he's sown. His two employees, not so much, but those are the risks you take when you work for a guy who doesn't pay his bills or get along with his landlord.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 9:57 am

Friend received a 5 page "cease and desist," letter from a "lawyer," - more like a lino/lito (lawyer in name/title only) full of gibberish, nonsense, grammatical errors, lies, And reference to a date in July of 3021. It was supposed to scare us away from inspecting the tenants leased premises and then doing as is going to be done. (eviction.)

Spent more than half the day going point by point through the letter with my friend's litigator. Basically, the letter is BS and we're soldiering on. Some lino can't tell us the landlord can't enter the tenant's leased premises without a court order or written consent from the tenant. :roll: :lol: That's not the law. 24h notice will be given, as per the law, and then an inspection will occur, and the results of that to follow - possibly immediately if the Bailiffs schedule is tight and they'd prefer to attend that moment vs. next morning. tbd.

Miniscule chance the guy takes it to court and wins against my friend, considering the evidence he has.

32-50h to go, depending on Bailiffs & locksmiths availability. Theennnnn this project will be behind us and we can move on to anything and everything else with a future tenant that gets along with their landlord, pays their bills, and doesn't refuse to comply with instructions to do things safely within the building vs. putting the landlord at risk should something tragic happen. Also a tenant that isn't a time sink, that'd be nice.

Also, for anyone who's been following my posts for many, many, moons.. this lino is the same one that wrote a ridiculous letter for the guy that filed fabricated allegations of sexual assault against me at the BC Human Rights Tribunal back during the 2014 Olympics. It seems his business model may be that he'll write anything you want in a letter for a few hundred bucks. Poorly. :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 10:16 am

goldfish21 wrote:
[...] for anyone who's been following my posts for many, many, moons [...]
I tune in every day.  It just keeps getting better!  I can hardly wait for the finale!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 11:20 am

Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
[...] for anyone who's been following my posts for many, many, moons [...]
I tune in every day.  It just keeps getting better!  I can hardly wait for the finale!

:heart: :heart: :lol: :mrgreen: 8)

If you could read the 5-pages of gibberish nonsense you'd have yourself a good laugh! Seems like someone was lawyering by night + a lot of alcohol -> but that's just my layman's opinion as a literate person. Rather amusing that the tenant thinks 5 pages of lies and gibberish that have nothing to do with the business at hand nor the laws on the books would somehow buy him time. He really shouldn't have wasted the time he had - and he had months. + he had offers of assistance that he didn't respond to. *shrug* oh well, there's no helping some people.

This guy is like a mini trump in a psychological sense. He's about to be shocked as s**t that there are consequences for his actions.

And then once the locks are changed and we've had a celebratory drink/meal, I have some volunteers from an extremely popular local Facebook group that are willing to camp out in vans/trucks blocking the doors every night for a week or so until the Bailiff supervised move out. I may also have a beer & a bbq'd meal and sleep in my car those nights alongside them, all acting as overnight ears and eyes for the deaf building owner that wouldn't be the ideal overnight security person. Gotta make sure none of these guys or their drinking buddies try to break in and do damage or steal anything that belongs to the building - primarily a paint booth.

Gonna be busy times between camping here and working on my brother's renovation a half hour drive away, but w/e it's only a week or so + it's for a good cause And is sure to provide entertainment value just in the lolz factor should any of those guys have the bright idea that they're going to attempt to enter the building at night.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 11:56 pm

Their 5 page cease and desist letter is gibberish nonsense with no legal basis - especially the part where they said the landlord could only inspect the premises with a court order or written permission from the tenant. :roll: :lol:

24h notice of inspection was hand delivered to him.

Bailiffs usually like to do things next morning, but they extremely busy ppl so boom they're scheduled to arrive with their locksmith immediately after the inspection we already know they'll fail. If they don't let the owner inside he can't take interior photos, but he doesn't even need that to prove their not in compliance as evidence is visible from outside.

There's an electrician apprentice wiring up two temporary cameras with microphones to record all events/conversations tomorrow, as it's all but certain that the guy is going to have an alternate reality version of events and we'll need the recording for a courtroom in the future.

Tmw afternoon just after 4pm PST is going to be awesome.