Alcohol and cigarettes to a person on the Spectrum

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Swompthing
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Aug 2021, 3:30 pm

I am an autistic Craftsman I have always been good working with my hands taking things apart figuring out how it works and how it's supposed to be and then putting it back together, by default I'am a mechanic ,framer, plumber, electrician ,roofer ,drywall, and all the rest of the trades in the construction industry that's my strength .My weakness is I'm not good with people in my mind most people are an obstacle I don't have and I never have had empathy. When it comes to my professional life everything needs to be built my way, if I'm responsible for what's being built . This puts me at odds with my colleagues and my subordinates and also my superiors .My inability to compromise or understand to other perspective has always led me conflict .So either it's been a good day or bad day I look forward to drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette by myself in a quiet space. I do not like drinking in public. I have been carrying on this routine 30 + years and it seems the older I get my autism get more uncompromising and at times is just downright frustrating to me . My beer consumption has raised 6 beers a day . I have considered and tried multiple substance abuse treatments . However I have found that beer actually calms me down and helps me view the other side of the relationships that I have . But too much too long is a bad thing. Question is coming wait for it!! ! When I was a teenager I started smoking cigarettes I don't really have a good reason why but my stimming stopped . About the same time I started consuming alcohol ,I found at the beginning of a session I have higher intellect and IQ than everybody around me ,then it turned into well you know careless consumption . it has been a battle all my life. One thing always remains beer and cigarettes alone at the end of every day. Here's loaded questions. 1st has anybody been a smoker and quit ? what was your reaction to your autistic traits ? I get it stop smoking is the hardest thing anybody can do but for us that are on the Spectrum we rely on that calming effect on our senses, we became addicted the calming effect, is there any other alternatives? 2nd is there anybody that uses alcohol to quiet the world down and focus you back in yourself ? I believe it's a problem when it starts causing turmoil in my life so I'm seeking an alternative. Does anybody know of a substance besides marijuana that can have calming effect to quiet the world down? I really look forward to the input from people that are experiencing this unique gift of being on the Spectrum, not some random doctor that I always have to explain myself and no matter what, they will never understand me. Thank you for your valuable time in reading my story.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 4:18 pm

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

01 Sep 2021, 8:40 am

Some people on the spectrum take Valerian Root and it calms their anxiety or CDB oil which is also very nutritious and will increase your immunity as opposed to decrease lung one like cigarettes do, very important in covid times. I have eaten valerian as a leaf in my salad or as a side dish, it made me feel a bit good and calm. It's tastier than lettuce, i go through it like a rabbit would. But then again i really like vegetables, people are impressed i am like a sheep breaking into the garden. I eat everything green they give me in massive amounts.

I think in a way, you're gonna have to make due with actually dealing with your emotional issues in a different way unless you seek psychiatrist prescription. Not everything can be fast and some things you need to deal with mentally instead of running away from, it's better in long term and its also added to psychiatry meds. You will get to know yourself better and be able to calm yourself through means you can do on your own, new things and skills you will have to find that work out for you and you enjoy. Good luck working on your stress!

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 11:12 am

I'm not a smoker but I have smoked a few packs of natural cigs over the years. Some people use nicotine for it's medicinal benefits, as it's a stimulant, and gives them calm clear focus. I know a local aspie that doesn't smoke, but does use nicotine by cutting a nicotine patch into a smaller size for a small metered dermal dose of nicotine he uses while he works. That may be healthier than smoking cigarettes.

The other interesting part about smokers, and people who quit, is that smoking/quitting alters your gut flora - and it's now becoming clearer and clearer to many that altered gut flora affect ASD symptoms. You might find nicotine withdrawal symptoms to be different than others - that they affect your ASD traits more than you might expect, in which case this may be an explanation. Might be worth using a vape or patch or partial patch vs. outright quitting nicotine - at least it's healthier.

I do drink alcohol, almost daily/nightly - but not a lot; a lot would be 3-4 standard drinks, typical is only 1-2 but lately during covidtimes it's been more like 2-3. Yeah, it's a useful drug to mellow out and unwind at the end of a day/night. So is cannabis - but you say you're seeking something Other than marijuana - why? It's super safe and effective.

Then there are other substances people do that are not addictive/habit forming that tend to have lasting effects of mental clarity And reduce desires to consume other habitual use drugs like alcohol. I'm talking psychedelics - things like magic mushrooms (psilocybin) which are literally the safest recreational drug known to man. There are other much more potent psychedelics (like DMT) that I personally know people who've used them to break their bad drug habits for good - but they're also rarer, not for the inexperienced/faint of heart, and probably not legal or on a path to legalization like magic mushrooms. Shrooms aren't typically a daily unwind thing, though, more of a once in a while thing to have a ctrl+alt+del reboot of the mind and not feel like consuming other substances. Some people do microdose them regularly, though.

Overall, marijuana is most peoples' go-to relaxation substance that's healthier than alcohol. Why the opposition? Beyond that, regular exercise (especially cardio!), water, sunlight, healthy diet & rest are all fantastic to maintain a decent balance in the force. 8)

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 10:17 pm

Swompthing wrote:
I am an autistic Craftsman I have always been good working with my hands taking things apart figuring out how it works and how it's supposed to be and then putting it back together, by default I'am a mechanic ,framer, plumber, electrician ,roofer ,drywall, and all the rest of the trades in the construction industry that's my strength .My weakness is I'm not good with people in my mind most people are an obstacle I don't have and I never have had empathy. When it comes to my professional life everything needs to be built my way, if I'm responsible for what's being built . This puts me at odds with my colleagues and my subordinates and also my superiors .My inability to compromise or understand to other perspective has always led me conflict .So either it's been a good day or bad day I look forward to drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette by myself in a quiet space. I do not like drinking in public. I have been carrying on this routine 30 + years and it seems the older I get my autism get more uncompromising and at times is just downright frustrating to me . My beer consumption has raised 6 beers a day . I have considered and tried multiple substance abuse treatments . However I have found that beer actually calms me down and helps me view the other side of the relationships that I have . But too much too long is a bad thing. Question is coming wait for it!! ! When I was a teenager I started smoking cigarettes I don't really have a good reason why but my stimming stopped . About the same time I started consuming alcohol ,I found at the beginning of a session I have higher intellect and IQ than everybody around me ,then it turned into well you know careless consumption . it has been a battle all my life. One thing always remains beer and cigarettes alone at the end of every day. Here's loaded questions. 1st has anybody been a smoker and quit ? what was your reaction to your autistic traits ? I get it stop smoking is the hardest thing anybody can do but for us that are on the Spectrum we rely on that calming effect on our senses, we became addicted the calming effect, is there any other alternatives? 2nd is there anybody that uses alcohol to quiet the world down and focus you back in yourself ? I believe it's a problem when it starts causing turmoil in my life so I'm seeking an alternative. Does anybody know of a substance besides marijuana that can have calming effect to quiet the world down? I really look forward to the input from people that are experiencing this unique gift of being on the Spectrum, not some random doctor that I always have to explain myself and no matter what, they will never understand me. Thank you for your valuable time in reading my story.

Drinker and cigarette smoker here..