Zorba
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Sep 2023, 7:17 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
Zorba wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Zorba wrote:
Cute and fun video - but power windows are stupid. Like most other things on modern cars - an answer to a question nobody was asking.

I'd argue the fact that they've become almost universally adopted is a good sign that someone was asking and also that most car buyers prefer that answer. :wink:

Not really - we're just not given a choice. Between the greedy CarCos and our Benevolent OverLords mandating all sorts of automotive stupidity, basic cars aren't sold in North America - but thrive everywhere else!

So which is it - groupthink, or not being given a choice? Cos those are two different things.

Both. We're not given a choice, and N. American groupthink makes fun of anyone who doesn't want the darn things. Its OK, I'm "done" with buying new cars, I'll keep my old junk running. Power windows are annoying and expensive, but the "technology" in new cars is completely insane. DO. NOT. WANT. If it has a screen in it, I'm OUT.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2023, 7:32 pm

Unironically, I'd love if they'd sell me a car with no interior trim, no stereo, no sound deadening, no backseat, etc, but apparently it's cheaper to streamline the available options and deletes so that each build sheet can be slotted into a lot of similar builds.

Consumer demand is a funny thing with cars, even people who would prefer a manual transmission or prefer manual windows will often choose a car that fails to provide that option, it largely boils down to resale value and what options are bundled together.

Resale value tends to incentivize picking a boring colour and bundling in options that make the car more "accessible". Accessible means choices like the four-door, not the two-door, the slushbox and the power windows, leather if it doesn't add too much to the cost, etc. The only real exception to this is with performance cars, where all those trends exist in the short-term but are offset by how the low orders for more stripped out examples (and bright colours) means those examples tend to rise in price on a long enough timeline.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2023, 10:09 pm

I don’t want the debt of a newer vehicle.
I am glad that mine has AC , automatic and a working radio.
Has a new fuel pump also.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 11:46 am

Misslizard wrote:

Three things my car lacks, but I only really care about one of them. :lol:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 12:21 pm

Red Green Sillynesses strikes again ... :D :D :D :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 1:32 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

You’d want the AC here in summer,I would choose it or over the radio.The radio didn’t come with a CD player and the stations are awful.
Country, religious ,or one lame rock station that ONLY plays bad eighties music.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 1:34 pm

Misslizard wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

You’d want the AC here in summer,I would choose it or over the radio.The radio didn’t come with a CD player and the stations are awful.
Country, religious ,or one lame rock station that ONLY plays bad eighties music.

I'd want AC pretty much anywhere. I'm not very heat tolerant. :oops:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 2:07 pm

I don’t like having the windows down because stuff can fly in, wasps and even a bird once.On dirt roads it will suck in dust and cover everything.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 3:50 pm

The power windows control on my vehicle is funny - either the window(s) move slightly up or down, or move completely up or down.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 1:15 am

Power windows are the only option my car came with. I’d have still bought it without and have had a handful of cars without. It is nice to do the cross breeze thing being a 4 door.

I don’t care about a/c. Paid $1050 extra on my first new car ever to have a/c.. and then used it like twice over a few years. I never turn it on, just adjust windows in the heat.

Might become useful as things heat up over the years but so far meh waste of $ AND fuel economy + the extra weight. Sometimes I wonder how much extra fuel ppl burn in cars just for a/c when Most people would be just fine if they learned how to open their windows properly to create a cross breeze.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 1:30 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Sometimes I wonder how much extra fuel ppl burn in cars just for a/c when Most people would be just fine if they learned how to open their windows properly to create a cross breeze.

My understanding is that you'll burn more from the extra drag created by having the windows down than the A/C consumes, at least in highway driving.

Windows down = fuckloads of turbulent air.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 9:34 am

Used to own a few convertables over the years , having the top down was almost luxerious? :mrgreen:
but as you age .. you better have a safe parking spot .And given the state of sun rays these days and your skin,
best have very strong sunscreen. Loved the feeling of wind and open veiws while driving . Almost equal to the basic feeling of riding a motorbike . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 10:59 am

funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Sometimes I wonder how much extra fuel ppl burn in cars just for a/c when Most people would be just fine if they learned how to open their windows properly to create a cross breeze.

My understanding is that you'll burn more from the extra drag created by having the windows down than the A/C consumes, at least in highway driving.

Windows down = fuckloads of turbulent air.

Had to google:

"Well, that depends on a number of factors, including your car, the weather conditions and your speed, among others. However, in general, studies have shown that having your windows down conserves more fuel than running the AC."

"Air conditioning on both vehicles reduced the miles per gallon more than running with the windows open. The TV show Mythbusters ran an experiment with two identical SUVs on a test track, and the SUV with the windows down traveled 15 miles more before running out of gas at 45 miles per hour.Jun 19, 2019"

https://www.google.com/search?q=does+ai ... e&ie=UTF-8

a/c Might be more fuel efficient in Some scenarios, but it seems in general, it is not.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 3:43 am

power windows need a manual overdrive for safety's sake. but power windows themselves are considered a safety feature if for example a bee flies into the car and the driver loses it.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 9:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
power windows need a manual overdrive for safety's sake. but power windows themselves are considered a safety feature if for example a bee flies into the car and the driver loses it.
We got some emergency escape tools that clip to the front seat belts. There is a metal point on them for breaking a car window so you can escape from the car even when the power windows and power door-locks aren't working. We've never had a reason to use them, however, so I don't know whether we'd actually be able to break the glass.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 2:40 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
The power windows control on my vehicle is funny - either the window(s) move slightly up or down, or move completely up or down.

ADDENDUM: It's either "chance or accident" that the power windows control actually maneuvers the windows as needed, or it's short of a 'Zen process' to maneuver both the front, and rear windows as needed.

It's almost comical to descirbe.....the above!