Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 3:18 am

Why has england turned into such an angry violent country compared to 20 years ago?

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 3:48 am

I have no answer to this - though I suspect there are a number of sociological theories that try to explain cultural changes.

If we look at political leadership (when we had it - and not all good) then I recall Thatcher talking about there being no such thing as society and indicating that the individual needs to prioritise their own and families needs above all else. Whilst I am not sure that this is exactly what she was getting at it sent a message. In my opinion the 80's were when there was a sharp decline in community spirit and an increased mindset of 'devil take the hindmost'.

My own observations and reflections based on life experience from the 60's until now lead me to believe that the growing focus has been self as opposed to others with a decline in politeness, consideration and manners. People seem very intolerant of others and quick to anger. There is a tendency for people to escalate arguments, disagreements and perceived slights very rapidly. I feel less safe than I used to when out and about thats for sure.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 7:27 am

Jamesy wrote:
Why has england turned into such an angry violent country compared to 20 years ago?

Our government is failing us in so many ways, I’m guessing it really comes down to this.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 11:10 am

The island is dangerously overpopulated.

The NHS is overwhelmed by so many people that there isn't enough resources and care to go around, so many people are being neglected and dying. (Even before covid).

The law is too soft, or they pick on the wrong people and let the dangerous nutcases with criminal records run free with knives and guns.

The police are so gullible they believe the psychopathic control freaks and don't believe the victim's families - until it's too late (when the psychopath has already murdered the victim).

Foreign people are being prioritized council houses - no it's not a 'racist' statement, it's a true statement. Us working class British people are expected to buy expensive houses (which we can't all afford) or live with our parents forever.

The country is run by a government that thinks everybody is as rich as them.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 11:28 am

England as always been angry. If anything, i notice people are more civilized now... slightly, in some respects.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 11:30 am

theprisoner wrote:
England as always been angry. If anything, i notice people are more civilized now... slightly, in some respects.

People are numb.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 6:41 pm

I've noticed in Essex the working class has a lot of very aggressive arseh0les.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 7:18 pm

Joe90 wrote:
The island is dangerously overpopulated.

The NHS is overwhelmed by so many people that there isn't enough resources and care to go around, so many people are being neglected and dying. (Even before covid).

The law is too soft, or they pick on the wrong people and let the dangerous nutcases with criminal records run free with knives and guns.

The police are so gullible they believe the psychopathic control freaks and don't believe the victim's families - until it's too late (when the psychopath has already murdered the victim).

Foreign people are being prioritized council houses - no it's not a 'racist' statement, it's a true statement. Us working class British people are expected to buy expensive houses (which we can't all afford) or live with our parents forever.

The country is run by a government that thinks everybody is as rich as them.

You've got what one fifth the US population on an island a bit bigger than the state of Michigan.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:53 am

Axeman wrote:

You've got what one fifth the US population on an island a bit bigger than the state of Michigan.

Its a good point.

And when you look at distribution you see that there are significant tracts of unpopulated land which means that the population is condensed even more tightly.

Having lived in rural low density and places like London my own experience is that I feel slightly safer in a large city. Im not sure why this is, it may be something to do with diversity. Not sure.

Closer to home, France has about the same number of population as the UK but approximately twice the land mass. Which I think is about the same size as the state of Texas.

Ive visited the east and west coast of the States and especially with the latter found the amount of living space people had impressive. I was also surprised by he cost of housing - which in a lot of areas seemed way cheaper than its equivalent in the UK. But thats obvious of course, when land is at a premium then houses will be more costly.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 11:10 am

Perhaps the chickens are coming home to roost. Whatever residual pride remained from building a global empire may have evaporated, perhaps the Thatcher era was the last gasp of that. Now what remains is to pick up the pieces and there might not be quite enough pieces.

America is in more or less then same situation. The American equivalent of an Empire has collapsed, and if you don't believe there's any anger in America then you've been living in a cave.