What point does being quiet become a problem ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 2:13 pm

I feel the last few evenings around dinner time, I don't always want to talk at the table despite having something on my mind especially when the attention is focused on my two year old nephew and I'll just stay quiet until everyone is finished and then I just go back upstairs and finish doing what doing sometimes as means to get someone to notice if there is a problem behind me being quiet.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Jan 2022, 12:20 pm

I usually am quiet. When I was a kid people would comment about me being too quiet. But when I would talk I would get in trouble for being rude, offensive or mean, or others would tune me out or cut me off because they thought I was too ret*d to possibly comprehend what they were talking about & actually have anything of value to contribute. It's ironic that I'm too ret*d to have anything worthwhile to contribute but I deserved to get punished for being rude/offensive/mean because I must be smart enough to understand why what I said & did was wrong :roll: I fail to comprehend this logic :scratch: I'm d@maned if I do & d@maned if I don't. It's easier for me to be quiet instead of wasting my breath trying to talk to others who won't listen to me & I didn't get punished for being too quiet so I learned it's better for me to be quiet.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 12:45 pm

↑ I can identify with this.

If I said nothing:
• I was guilty of something.
• I was plotting something else.
• I believed I was "too good" to talk to others.

If I spoke up:
• I was a "dumbass" if anyone disbelieved.
• I was a "smartass" if what I said was true.
• I was lying if someone had already decided I was guilty.

Life sucked as a kid.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 1:04 pm

^ I was very unexpressive around adults as a kid, to the point they would criticize me for it. I was a bit more expressive around other kids. I had a certain comradery with my peers, and I/we felt like every adult was an enemy. I was either quiet, or acting up.

I'm not like that anymore. I can be stone faced, reserved, in the presence of strangers, but I'm more versatile. In fact, if i know you and like you, I could talk your head off. But if you're stranger, I'm just unemotional and formal, bare minimum communication.

Oh yeah, and if i ever get angry,all that goes out the window, i'm the opposite of quiet. When angry, all my social inhibitions just seem to vanish into thin air. Problem is you cant stay in that zone 24/7.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Jan 2022, 2:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
If I spoke up:

Life sucked as a kid.
Same here. There's a sterotype that us Aspies don't lie & while that is true for some on the spectrum, oddly enough I realized that I was more likely to be believed when I would actually lie instead of telling the factual truth if I had time to think of a good lie. If a bully blamed me for something I did not do & I would call em out on it or if something happened & my teachers assumed I did it cuz I was the usual suspect, I would be thought a lair if I tried to poke holes in the story/theory. But if I made up a story to explain why I did whatever & would apologize, I could get out of trouble or it would be much less.

theprisoner wrote:
Oh yeah, and if i ever get angry,all that goes out the window, i'm the opposite of quiet. When angry, all my social inhibitions just seem to vanish into thin air. Problem is you cant stay in that zone 24/7.
When I get angry, I tend to lash out verbally & it can turn into a bad meltdown. Thanx to psych meds & being in a better environment & learning & maturing, these days I tend to bite my tongue so to speak aLOT more than I used to or I'll just go in my room for a while instead of snapping & yelling.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 2:49 pm

sometimes making too much noise is a problem.

sometimes not making enough noise is a problem.

every situation different.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 3:02 pm

nick007 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
If I spoke up:

Life sucked as a kid.
Same here. There's a sterotype that us Aspies don't lie & while that is true for some on the spectrum, oddly enough I realized that I was more likely to be believed when I would actually lie instead of telling the factual truth if I had time to think of a good lie. If a bully blamed me for something I did not do & I would call em out on it or if something happened & my teachers assumed I did it cuz I was the usual suspect, I would be thought a lair if I tried to poke holes in the story/theory. But if I made up a story to explain why I did whatever & would apologize, I could get out of trouble or it would be much less.
I learned that the punishment was the same whether I remained silent, lied, or told the truth, because "they" were never looking for the truth; they just wanted someone to punish.  Why bother putting forth the effort to say anything when the results would always be the same?

Then they tried the old, "Your punishment will be less if you tell us everything."  Yeah . . . right.  They tell this lie to get more "proof" to justify their punishment of me.  That worked once, maybe twice, but never again.

Most of those who punished me for no good reason have since passed away -- they died without ever knowing the truth.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 3:18 pm

It's a catch 22. If I say too much, my family doesn't like it. If I say too little, my family doesn't like it.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 3:24 pm

I can actually be very good with people now,as an adult. If I'm "ON." my quick wit and sharp mind, and excellent memory makes me a kind of comedian with people. A jester., But it's all superficial. I'd rather be a clown with people, thats my default mode now. As a kid i was either quiet, or the kid that would do and say inappropriate things, unintentionally humorous, naivete, social faux pass. Kinda like now actually. lol. More things change, more they stay the same. I try to be intentionally funny though now. And I'm alot smarter.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 3:58 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
It's a catch 22. If I say too much, my family doesn't like it. If I say too little, my family doesn't like it.

Same.
When I make an observation about something, I'm angry.
If I say nothing, I'm sulking.
Beats me how they arrive these conclusions.
It's like everything I say or do needs to have an emotion attached to it.
Little do they know I'm dead inside. :skull:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 4:33 pm

If I spoke up I was told to stop whining even if I wasn't.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 4:48 pm

Teachers would tell me to stop raising my hand for every question, and then mark me down for not participating.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 11:49 pm

the hindus call this a "hellworld" for good reason.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2022, 1:08 am

Assumptions of either included and not limited to signs of shyness, loneliness, illness, observation, distraction, indifference, anger, guilt, plotting or arrogance.

Any traits can be projected and attributed to this rather 'unresponsive' "choice" of behavior.

:P Maybe being quiet just means unpredictable by simply giving nothing to work with. So just throw assumptions.

And not something as overt like loud utter weirdness of spouting gibberish or performing cartwheels in public.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.