Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 3:58 pm

My dogs ran off a whole bear family out of the yard.Without their brave actions my pears would have been eaten.One bit the papa bear right on the butt.
On the negative side ,sometimes they roll in some nasty stuff.Really nasty stuff. Sometimes they carry home some really gross items.
Cats are definitely cleaner and they purr.
The best sound to go to sleep to ever.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 12:13 pm

My family seems to have always had the worst luck with dogs. When I was younger we got a dog that suddenly turned on my mother for no obvious reason, and my dad had to take him out in the woods and shoot him.

Later, we got another dog that killed one of my pet guinea pigs (I was sure I had the shut door to my bedroom where I kept them, maybe she figured out how to open it?) and then bit one of the neighborhood kids, and we had to get rid of her.

People who think dogs can never be dangerous and "oh my sweet little fur baby would never hurt anyone" are living in a dream world. I also wonder how Christian dog people feel about the negativity about dogs in the Bible, since it was written during a time and place when people thought dogs were very unclean.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 2:27 am

Descartes wrote:
So why is Western culture so different?

Since I can't answer that I'll just toss in a photo of my dreaming cat.
His whiskers were really twitching for a while.
He's now rolled over on his other side.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 2:40 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I also wonder how Christian dog people feel about the negativity about dogs in the Bible, since it was written during a time and place when people thought dogs were very unclean.

Our family had a couple great dogs when I was a child & I don't recall ever much pondering that negativity.

But then I did understand certain problem with dogs; though we didn't live in farm country since Dad was in the Navy, he and Mom were both farm kids, and I was aware that the following sometimes happened,
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... 11-12.html

Quote:
When you own a dog, it's your responsibility not only to take care of the animal, but also to keep it from injuring people or damaging property. In urban and suburban areas, that usually means preventing it from biting someone. But in rural areas, it means keeping your dog from attacking or bothering neighbors' sheep, cows, horses, or other livestock. When that happens, there are two basic rules:

The livestock owners may legally kill the marauding dogs, and they won't be liable if the dog owners sue them.
Dog owners are financially responsible for the damage their dogs cause.

Killing Predator Dogs

Many U.S. states have laws—which may go back over a hundred years—allowing farmers, ranchers, and others to kill dogs that are chasing, harassing, or attacking their livestock. Even without these statutes, however, it's long been a common-law rule that people may kill dogs when it's necessary to protect their property, including livestock. (See, for instance, Brauer v. English, 21 Mo. App. 490 (1886).)

A farmer or rancher usually doesn't have to wait until a dog has sunk its teeth into a calf or lamb. Most laws allow killing a dog that is chasing, "worrying," or preparing to attack livestock. However, simply running through a field where there are cows or sheep is probably not enough (see Trautman v. Day, 273 N.W.2d 712 (N.D. 1979)). Landowners usually don't have the right to kill dogs just for trespassing.

A thing I do know is attitudes in the Middle East region remain similar and yet are changing.

For instance, from Iran last year, https://www.iranintl.com/en/20211121244024

New Bill Aims To Ban Dogs As Pets In Homes And Streets In Iran
11/21/2021

Author: Maryam Sinaee

Quote:
... Keeping dogs, always common in Iran’s rural areas and on farms, has only in recent years become popular in urban areas as Iranians have kept them as pets, despite occasional police crackdowns, particularly when dogs are spotted in cars. Within Islam, dogs are considered impure and some countries have tight restrictions: Saudi Arabia justifies its strict rules against keeping dogs in terms of the dangers of dogs attacking people, especially children.
(text links to https://www.saudiembassy.net/bringing-pets-saudi-arabia)

Cats have never been a problem and have always been a part of urban and rural life, but the Islamic Republic wants to ban keeping dogs at urban homes. ...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 3:11 am

Though this thread is about cats in western society the thing about dogs in middle eastern society has my attention at the moment & since middle eastern society came before western society, maybe there is a common human factor at the root of both things.

Went looking for references and found:

Shadia: Loving dogs at a distance
By Mona Shadia
July 11, 2012 4:51 PM PT
https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pil ... story.html

Quote:
If you’ve lived near a Muslim or a Middle Eastern family, or if you know one, then you’ve probably seen them act a little weird around dogs.
And there are probably few things funnier — or more perplexing — than seeing a full-grown Muslim run, or get visibly uncomfortable, when a dog rushes toward him.
I was that way for a while, and I’ll get back to you on why.
But generally, there’s a sense out there that Muslims or Islam have a bone to pick with dogs.
As usual, it’s more complicated than that. It’s quite the opposite, actually. Dogs are mentioned in a positive light in Islam.

and

Judaism and Dogs
Today domesticated canines are beloved pets, but traditional Jewish texts were uneasy about these creatures.
By My Jewish Learning
https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/judaism-dogs/
Quote:
... Among the few positive references to dogs in the Bible is in Exodus 11:7, which records that during the 10th plague visited upon the Egyptians — the death of the first-born — “not a dog shall snarl at any of the Israelites, at man or beast—in order that you may know that the Lord makes a distinction between Egypt and Israel.” This silence of the dogs in Egypt is the reason offered by the Midrash to explain a later verse (Exodus 22:30) that commands the Israelites to feed to dogs any flesh torn by beasts in the field.

The negative attitude toward dogs persists in the Talmud, which frequently regards dogs as dangerous animals. Though the Talmud in Baba Kama states that it is permissible to keep certain kinds of dogs that are useful for preventing infestations of vermin, it also states that dogs must be kept chained and that those who “raise” (the Hebrew word used here is the same as the one used for rearing children) dogs are cursed. ...

In the Jewish mystical tradition, dogs are symbols of the demonic. The Zohar, the core text of Jewish mysticism, says that evil in the world is like a vicious dog on a long leash.

... Most contemporary Jewish authorities maintain that there are no prohibitions on keeping dogs provided they pose no threat to people or property.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Mar 2022, 3:22 am

Dogs and cats all have different personalities just like we do.

I've mostly been a dog person and I had a little Miniature Pinscher of my own for twelve and a half years. He was unique!

Some cats can be very affectionate too. I've house sat on several occasions for a family with an assortment of pets and their ginger cat Garfield comes to sleep on the bed when he wishes to. On the second but last occasion, he came to the patio where I was sitting on a chair, and climbed onto my lap and stayed there for more than an hour.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 3:31 am

Now, back to cats in western society,
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 158390681/

Quote:
For some reason, however, cats came to be demonized in Europe during the Middle Ages. They were seen by many as being affiliated with witches and the devil, and many were killed in an effort to ward off evil (an action that scholars think ironically helped to spread the plague, which was carried by rats).
Yeah, but, WHY :?:
Quote:
Not until the 1600s did the public image of cats begin to rally in the West.

Nowadays, of course, cats are superstars: the protagonists of comic strips and television shows. By the mid-90s, cat services and products had become a billion-dollar industry. And yet, even in our popular culture, a bit of the age-old ambivalence remains. The cat doesn't seem to be able to entirely shake its association with evil: After all, how often do you see a movie's maniacal arch-villain, as he lounges in a comfy chair and plots the world's destruction, stroke the head of a Golden Retriever?

:arrow: The following website offers a pretty good explanation, which ultimately boils down to the blending of religion and politics.
Gee, where else in life have we seen That cause problems?

The Cat in Medieval Western Europe
February 06, 2020
https://leidenartsinsocietyblog.nl/arti ... ern-europe

Quote:
... In times of religious upheaval and social uncertainty, ambivalence, which characterised the symbolic understanding of cats, was rarely tolerated. Cultural anxieties were influenced by war, plague, famine, and rebellions. Alternatives had to be dealt with. Therefore, everything outside the norm, like cats, was marginalised. In Greco-Roman times, the animal was deemed to have a sensitive soul and humans were the only ones with a rational soul. This view changed in the early Middle Ages: the Church Fathers then believed animals had no soul at all. However, from the twelfth century onwards, medieval society became more lenient towards the human-animal divide. Due to a renewed popularity of some classical texts (e.g. the rediscovery of Aristotle), medieval people were portrayed alongside animals again.

Unfortunately, these portrayals were not necessarily positive. One of the ways people define their identity is by comparing themselves to everything they are not. The combination of several conflicts in the Middle Ages yielded an environment where people needed scapegoats to preserve some sense of social order. Animals, and in this case the cat, became a screen on which medieval people projected their fears and emotions. It is curious that those people who were often in the presence of animals are the exact same people who employed animals as scapegoats. ...

I look at all that "meaning" people dumped on cats and have to say, Huh? What alternate reality did you people drag THAT in from?
Assuming the vast majority of the population was neurotypicals, and they were the ones who created all those different beliefs about cats, what's the deal with neurotypicals, they do some really, really, absurd and bizarre stuff.

A cat is a cat.

And that is that.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 3:51 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Dogs and cats all have different personalities just like we do.

Truth! :D

Quote:
I've mostly been a dog person and I had a little Miniature Pinscher of my own for twelve and a half years. He was unique!
Sounds like lots of memories there.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 12:23 pm

My impression is animals in general are treated a lot better in the West. They are respected as a part of the world rather than possessions of humans.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Mar 2022, 9:56 pm

Descartes wrote:
Is it because, in Western culture, cats are associated with witches, black magic, and spinsters?
That sounds like a great reason for people to love cats :twisted: :mrgreen:

I'm from the deep south & it's very common for people to have dogs as pets for things like hunting & protection & dogs can also be confined to a yard instead of going all over the neighborhood if they are outside. Lots of people have cats as well but the cats are either forced to be house cats & stay inside or the cats wonder all over the neighborhood digging up gardens & scratching cars by climbing on them which is one reason some people hate cats. However apartments are much more likely to allow cats for pets than dogs unless the dog is a service dog which I find very odd because a cat can be just as destructive inside as a dog is. Dogs do not scratch the doors & baseboards & stair railings.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 10:19 pm

nick007 wrote:
Dogs do not scratch the doors & baseboards & stair railings.

:?: :?: :?:

https://www.4feldco.com/articles/remove-dog-scratches/
Quote:
Ways to Remove and Prevent Dog Scratches on Your Doors
If you’re like most Americans that have a loveable Fido or Baxter who gets let out into the backyard, chances are there are parts of your home that can testify to your canine love.
Now, for those who don’t have doggy doors (you know, those square cutouts that allow small critters to just run in and out of the home at will), you’ll probably find that your dog starts clawing on the door every time he or she wants to come back in. Over time, your door will have a bunch of scratches and claw marks.

https://ask.metafilter.com/305958/Im-so ... -apartment
Quote:
My dog is the destructive type, so I got a travel crate to put her in for the inevitable errands that I would have to run before her regular crate arrived. She chewed through it on the first day.
So for the first few days that I lived in the apartment, I had to lock her up in different rooms of the house to try to keep her from damaging the entire place. Unsurprisingly, there are now three doors in the apartment that have significant scratches. On one door it's not super noticeable, on the second the scratches are definitely noticeable and deep. The third door is actually a set of French doors that may be original to the home, and the scratches are extremely deep and the dog even chewed at some extra wood that frames the door.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dogs/comments/ ... nd_i_dont/
Quote:
Now to the actual issues. He never chewed anything until he was about 6 months old. He then started chewing the couch, little by little, until one day I got home and it was completely destroyed (couch pieces everywhere). Since that day he became much more prone to chewing and has since chewed a second couch and a coffee table. Although that is not acceptable, I can deal with it. The real problem is he recently started chewing the corners of my baseboards, and my door frames (I live in a rented apartment so this is a big deal).

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovemen ... _a_rental/
Quote:
My dog chewed the baseboard/drywall at a rental apartment. How do I fix this?
Here’s the damage: https://imgur.com/a/Cr7mWrO
I looked up the wall part and it seems like I need joint compound and a scraper and to just add mud, dry, repeat, then blend into the wall with a wet rag.
But the baseboard, I don’t know. I saw a recommendation to get wood filler but it doesn’t look like wood, it looks like cardboard. Plus there’s the moulding on it... what do I do? I want to make it look good enough to be minimally noticeable but also not go as far as ripping out and replacing the whole baseboard.
For the record, the dog never destroyed anything other than her toys until today. We just moved in, I have no idea what came over her.

https://www.hunker.com/13415108/how-to- ... d-by-a-dog
Quote:
How to Fix a Wooden Banister Chewed by a Dog
Aesthetically appealing banisters are essential to clean and comfortable homes. Banisters are often one of the first objects a guest will see when entering your home. Fixing a wood banister chewed by a dog rids the railing of unsightly marks and prevents injury to people or animals that may bump into or grab the object in disrepair. Applying wood putty to fill in the chew marks is a cost saving technique, in lieu of replacing the banister outright.

https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/co ... ex_and_my/
Quote:
Need advice! I live in an apartment complex and my dog chewed my window sill. I’m worried they’ll try to charge me a ton in damages when I move out because of it. Is there an easy-ish fix to this? Is it worth attempting?

https://www.quora.com/My-dog-destroyed- ... posit-back
Quote:
My dog destroyed our floor. How would we fix it ourselves? We live in an apartment and want to get our security deposit back.
6 Answers
Stan Frymann
, Property Manager (1981-present)
Answered 1 year ago · Author has 2.1K answers and 2.4M answer views
Originally Answered: My dog destroyed our floor. It appears to be a peel and stick “hardwood” floor. How would we fix it ourselves? We live in an apartment and want to get our security deposit back.
I congratulate you on taking responsibility. One thing you might want to consider is whether you are pretty confident that a new floor won’t also be destroyed by your dog. If not, and it’s something you can live with, you might want to hold off replacing it until later.
I’m no flooring expert, but peel and stick sounds like a fairly inexpensive type of flooring. When you finally do deal with it, you might want to get a bid from a flooring company for replacement with similar materials. You can present this to the owner to avoid any possibility of getting charged for a replacement that is actual

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Mar 2022, 10:32 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Dogs do not scratch the doors & baseboards & stair railings.

:?: :?: :?:

https://www.4feldco.com/articles/remove-dog-scratches/
Quote:
Ways to Remove and Prevent Dog Scratches on Your Doors
If you’re like most Americans that have a loveable Fido or Baxter who gets let out into the backyard, chances are there are parts of your home that can testify to your canine love.
Now, for those who don’t have doggy doors (you know, those square cutouts that allow small critters to just run in and out of the home at will), you’ll probably find that your dog starts clawing on the door every time he or she wants to come back in. Over time, your door will have a bunch of scratches and claw marks.

https://ask.metafilter.com/305958/Im-so ... -apartment
Quote:
My dog is the destructive type, so I got a travel crate to put her in for the inevitable errands that I would have to run before her regular crate arrived. She chewed through it on the first day.
So for the first few days that I lived in the apartment, I had to lock her up in different rooms of the house to try to keep her from damaging the entire place. Unsurprisingly, there are now three doors in the apartment that have significant scratches. On one door it's not super noticeable, on the second the scratches are definitely noticeable and deep. The third door is actually a set of French doors that may be original to the home, and the scratches are extremely deep and the dog even chewed at some extra wood that frames the door.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dogs/comments/ ... nd_i_dont/
Quote:
Now to the actual issues. He never chewed anything until he was about 6 months old. He then started chewing the couch, little by little, until one day I got home and it was completely destroyed (couch pieces everywhere). Since that day he became much more prone to chewing and has since chewed a second couch and a coffee table. Although that is not acceptable, I can deal with it. The real problem is he recently started chewing the corners of my baseboards, and my door frames (I live in a rented apartment so this is a big deal).

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovemen ... _a_rental/
Quote:
My dog chewed the baseboard/drywall at a rental apartment. How do I fix this?
Here’s the damage: https://imgur.com/a/Cr7mWrO
I looked up the wall part and it seems like I need joint compound and a scraper and to just add mud, dry, repeat, then blend into the wall with a wet rag.
But the baseboard, I don’t know. I saw a recommendation to get wood filler but it doesn’t look like wood, it looks like cardboard. Plus there’s the moulding on it... what do I do? I want to make it look good enough to be minimally noticeable but also not go as far as ripping out and replacing the whole baseboard.
For the record, the dog never destroyed anything other than her toys until today. We just moved in, I have no idea what came over her.

https://www.hunker.com/13415108/how-to- ... d-by-a-dog
Quote:
How to Fix a Wooden Banister Chewed by a Dog
Aesthetically appealing banisters are essential to clean and comfortable homes. Banisters are often one of the first objects a guest will see when entering your home. Fixing a wood banister chewed by a dog rids the railing of unsightly marks and prevents injury to people or animals that may bump into or grab the object in disrepair. Applying wood putty to fill in the chew marks is a cost saving technique, in lieu of replacing the banister outright.

https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/co ... ex_and_my/
Quote:
Need advice! I live in an apartment complex and my dog chewed my window sill. I’m worried they’ll try to charge me a ton in damages when I move out because of it. Is there an easy-ish fix to this? Is it worth attempting?

https://www.quora.com/My-dog-destroyed- ... posit-back
Quote:
My dog destroyed our floor. How would we fix it ourselves? We live in an apartment and want to get our security deposit back.
6 Answers
Stan Frymann
, Property Manager (1981-present)
Answered 1 year ago · Author has 2.1K answers and 2.4M answer views
Originally Answered: My dog destroyed our floor. It appears to be a peel and stick “hardwood” floor. How would we fix it ourselves? We live in an apartment and want to get our security deposit back.
I congratulate you on taking responsibility. One thing you might want to consider is whether you are pretty confident that a new floor won’t also be destroyed by your dog. If not, and it’s something you can live with, you might want to hold off replacing it until later.
I’m no flooring expert, but peel and stick sounds like a fairly inexpensive type of flooring. When you finally do deal with it, you might want to get a bid from a flooring company for replacement with similar materials. You can present this to the owner to avoid any possibility of getting charged for a replacement that is actual
I didn't know dogs were generally that destructive indoors. I hear that it tends to be easier to train dogs than cats so I thought dogs could be trained to avoid those destructive behaviors indoors.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 8:23 pm

I think cats became revered in Asia because of their rodent killing abilities.Anywhere grains are grown in large amounts like rice there will be rats.
So I can understand why cats would be considered lucky.
Dogs in a hot dry climate like the Middle East would often have mange, fleas , stink ,and possibly be rabid.A cat would be cleaner and not menacing.A feral dog pack would be a threat to livestock and people.I can see how they would be considered unclean.
In Europe where it’s colder dogs would have been useful to keep warm ,to help hunt and for protection against large predators.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 7:00 am

In the past, in China, the love of pet cats and pet dogs was evenly matched.
But now it's an all-out victory for cats.

Because most people live in buildings. We have higher population density and shorter leisure time. Walking the dog is quite a hassle. So dogs are no longer considered a proper pet.

Differences in Eastern and Western lifestyles are one explanation for this problem.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 7:28 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Judaism and Dogs
Today domesticated canines are beloved pets, but traditional Jewish texts were uneasy about these creatures.
By My Jewish Learning
https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/judaism-dogs/
Quote:
... Among the few positive references to dogs in the Bible is in Exodus 11:7, which records that during the 10th plague visited upon the Egyptians — the death of the first-born — “not a dog shall snarl at any of the Israelites, at man or beast—in order that you may know that the Lord makes a distinction between Egypt and Israel.” This silence of the dogs in Egypt is the reason offered by the Midrash to explain a later verse (Exodus 22:30) that commands the Israelites to feed to dogs any flesh torn by beasts in the field.

The negative attitude toward dogs persists in the Talmud, which frequently regards dogs as dangerous animals. Though the Talmud in Baba Kama states that it is permissible to keep certain kinds of dogs that are useful for preventing infestations of vermin, it also states that dogs must be kept chained and that those who “raise” (the Hebrew word used here is the same as the one used for rearing children) dogs are cursed. ...

In the Jewish mystical tradition, dogs are symbols of the demonic. The Zohar, the core text of Jewish mysticism, says that evil in the world is like a vicious dog on a long leash.

... Most contemporary Jewish authorities maintain that there are no prohibitions on keeping dogs provided they pose no threat to people or property.

Almost half a century ago, I spent a month on a "kibbutz" in Israel. They had lots of dogs there.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 7:30 am

I used to be afraid of dogs. I'm not so afraid any longer. But I still don't like stray dogs at all.

When I went to Greece, there was an incredible amount of stray dogs in the street. When one goes to the park where the Acropolis is, one sees gangs of stray dogs.

I don't feel threatened by stray cats at all. Because I know, pretty much, that they won't attack me for no reason.