Page 2 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 8:50 pm

TIL The first McDonald's drive-through was created in 1975 in Sierra Vista, Arizona, near Fort Huachuca, a military installation, to serve military members who were not permitted to get out of their cars off-post while wearing fatigues.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 9:33 pm

Something about civil law.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 10:42 pm

Animals eat their own babies sometimes and if there is something wrong with one of them, the mother either eats it or pushes it out of the litter. But hamsters will eat their baby. To this day i wonder if our female dog killed her puppy that was a runt of the litter and wouldn't really nurse because he was found in a pool of blood coming from its face. I also wonder if she was even pushing that puppy away.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 10:49 pm

Today, I've learned what a cheeky git I am.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2023, 12:34 am

League_Girl wrote:
Animals eat their own babies sometimes and if there is something wrong with one of them, the mother either eats it or pushes it out of the litter. But hamsters will eat their baby. To this day i wonder if our female dog killed her puppy that was a runt of the litter and wouldn't really nurse because he was found in a pool of blood coming from its face. I also wonder if she was even pushing that puppy away.

In some animals it can happen when they're stressed or when they're suffering nutrient deficiencies. Rabbits are known for it (for example). Staffordshire terriers apparently are notorious for it, but other dog breeds will as well.

Eating their own young and abandoning the den is a common behaviour in a lot of mammals, if they're stressed enough to feel that's the best option.

Mercy killing of weak, deformed or otherwise health impaired offspring is known in many animals as well. Runts, even if they're not neglected are at a higher risk of getting sick and then spreading that to the rest. Afterwards the remains need to be disposed of, and they're edible...

There's a good chance that puppy was mercy killed, especially if the she's never displayed any other issues with her own puppies.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2023, 1:10 am

funeralxempire wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

In some animals it can happen when they're stressed or when they're suffering nutrient deficiencies. Rabbits are known for it (for example). Staffordshire terriers apparently are notorious for it, but other dog breeds will as well.

Eating their own young and abandoning the den is a common behaviour in a lot of mammals, if they're stressed enough to feel that's the best option.

Mercy killing of weak, deformed or otherwise health impaired offspring is known in many animals as well. Runts, even if they're not neglected are at a higher risk of getting sick and then spreading that to the rest. Afterwards the remains need to be disposed of, and they're edible...

There's a good chance that puppy was mercy killed, especially if the she's never displayed any other issues with her own puppies.

Reminds me when humans would kill their babies or leave them to die on their own by simply leaving them in fields. Then they started to just place them in institutions and forget about them. We have evolved but it still happens due to caregiver burn out.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2023, 12:28 am

Reason why Disney games were so hard back in the days was because this was how Disney made money, they purposely made them hard so people would rent them over and over because they got part of the profit if their games got rented. They thought if they made them too easy, people wouldn't rent them again nor buy the game.

Joke's on them, I simply didn't rent their game again if I couldn't make it even past the first level because it was too boring for me.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2023, 5:18 am

I used to watch Dazed and Confused a lot and in that movie there's a 'party at the moon tower' and for some reason, in all the times I've seen that movie I never thought to question what a 'moon tower' was. I suppose I thought it was just a radio mast or something that had a light at the top and the kids just called it the moon tower.

Today I learned what a moon tower was. Is, really since there are still some in use around Austin, Texas.

For those that don't know it was a system of lighting up neighbourhoods at night with arc lamps high up on pylons. The idea being that whole towns would be bathed in light at night, roughly equivalent to the light of a full moon. This was before comprehensive street lighting became a more economically viable option.

As I understand it the ones that are still operational are kept going mainly out of nostalgia - the light pollutuon at night means their light output is almost worthless.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2023, 8:45 am

How to make toys for budgie birds.

My brother being an undx autistic man has fallen head first into a new special interest / obsession by adopting two parakeets named Jimmy and Larry. He’s absolutely bonkers about birds now, so I was thinking of getting him bird toys for Christmas. I’d be scared of getting something deemed dangerous so I started watching hours of DIY tutorials from bird experts instead of sleeping, cleaning my house, or caring for my own six pets.

Whoops.

Here are some of the videos I liked.

https://youtu.be/41ADy-c_HoI?feature=shared

https://youtu.be/9NGZiZhT9Mc?feature=shared

https://youtu.be/5OslBSerOCM?feature=shared

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2023, 9:43 am

Today, I've learned that I'm really not myself when I drink coffee. My perception of reality is clouded and I put on Mod or hippie accessories. I lose touch with the sweet, old soldier that I am. I can be very Modish. Peter Newkirk is very Modish.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2023, 2:44 pm

Refer-to WP thread post, 'If Your Life Was A Movie....'
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=417494&p=9406105#p9406105

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2023, 4:09 pm

I learned that there's such a competition called Mr. Universe.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2023, 5:22 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:

Thats how Arnold Schwartnegger first became famous. He won the "Mr Universe" contest.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 28 Nov 2023, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2023, 5:40 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Today, I've learned that I'm really not myself when I drink coffee. My perception of reality is clouded and I put on Mod or hippie accessories. I lose touch with the sweet, old soldier that I am. I can be very Modish. Peter Newkirk is very Modish.

Have you watched the movie Quadrophenia (1979)?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2023, 5:49 pm

DirkGently69 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Have you watched the movie Quadrophenia (1979)?

Exactly. Cockney should...put aside the Kinks for a minute...a listen to some of "the Who". Especially the album (later made into a movie) Quadrophenia. A musical look back at the whole "Mods and Rockers" scene of the early Sixties.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2023, 6:18 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

Thats how Arnold Schwartnegger first became famous. He won the "Mr Universe" contest.

I'm not surprised that I haven't heard about it then. :lol: