Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2022, 7:55 pm

Let me just let out my frustration.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHF**KYOUYOUTUBEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!! !! !!

There, that's better. I suppose it isn't the site itself, IT'S THE ANNOYING IDIOTS THAT UPLOAD STUPID VIDEOS!

I gave in and brought audiobooks from Google play, because the only ones I could find on YouTube are people reading books THEMSELVES out loud and thinking they're doing everyone a favour. No you're not, I rather no audiobook than your crappy video of poor sound quality, and pauses, getting tongue-tied, swallowing and coughing, and background noises - it's just not the same as listening to a real recorded audiobook. Sorry to spit on your good intentions but it's the truth.
Either that, or...oh God, wait for it...someone reading an audiobook or a list of interesting facts as ASMR which inevitably means WHISPERING!! !! I. Can't. Stand. Whispering!! !! Read (facts and stuff) in a softly spoken voice, but not whispering!! ! And it's always done by a beautiful sexy girl, probably aimed for men to masturbate themselves to sleep. Yuk.

And one more rant I'd like to throw up about YouTube is they take really good videos off, never to be seen again (videos that aren't made by idiots). There was this guy doing a very detailed walkthrough plus commentary of Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2 and 3, and his commenting skills were excellent. Now it's nowhere to be found and I feel so sad yet angry. I can't remember the name of the person who done the videos but I know he worded each video in a very articulate way and each video was well thought out. Such a loss.

/Rant over.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2022, 7:59 pm

Yeah, I liked it better back in the old days.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2022, 9:07 pm

Get a YouTube downloading application, then you can have a copy on your hard drive of any videos you fear may be taken down.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Feb 2022, 2:59 am

I mostly use YouTube for music or for finding clips from TV shows to put in some of my posts & I find YouTube very frustrating sometimes. There's some vids on there of political propaganda that openly encourage violence & war & YouTube refuses to take action against it. But if somebody posts a song & the artist or whoever owns the copyright has a hissyfit because they believe that they are losing a cent, YouTube will rapidly take the song down due to copyright infringement. Stopping record labels from possibly losing a small fraction of their mega money should NOT be more important than the MANY lives of people who die in war but it is

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 8:52 am

Whenever I come across something I like on YouTube, I'll rip it with JDownloader 2, unless it's it's several GB in size. I've seen so many good videos disappear from YouTube over the last 15 years that I can't trust it to keep them.

YouTube and DeviantArt are the main sites I can blame for sparking my data hoarding addiction.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 9:02 am

The great thing about YouTube downloads I find is their compact size - I can download a 90 minute movie in decent quality, and it will be around 250-500 MB, whereas the same film ripped from a dvd in similar quality might be five times that size. I use 4K Downloader and Easy YouTube Video Downloader Express, by the way.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Feb 2022, 10:26 am

There IS good stuff on YT and I probably spend way too much time downloading videos I want to keep for future reference, as they download quickly.

I haven't listened to any audiobooks, but have some videos where books (such as Lord of the Rings) are discussed.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 5:53 pm

Well I watched the Sonic videos years ago and didn't think I'd watch them again. Now I've suddenly got back into Sonic and want to watch those particular videos again but they don't seem to be anywhere now.

There are other things on YouTube that annoy me too:-

1. When the uploader spends several minutes of the video yakking on about subscribing, liking, commenting, visiting other channels and so on, totally unaware of the fact that people will only subscribe if they want to, telling viewers to subscribe doesn't make them want to subscribe any more than not. Just get on with the damn video!

2. Reactions. What is the point of there being a video with a little window in the corner of someone reacting to the content, going "agh, uhh, oh man, that ain't good, ah, ugh..."?

3. I know I already mentioned this in my OP but when people use ASMR to whisper the most interesting facts that I can't find anywhere else. Sometimes I like to listen to facts when relaxing and dozing, but no way am I going to listen to some sexy woman whispering facts. :roll: There's no tone of voice or anything when whispering. Whoever thought up this dumb s**t?

4. Millions of medical videos that I can't filter out. I wanted to find an old video of a girl in hospital with covid that I watched at the beginning of the pandemic, but I can't remember what the title of the video was or the name of the uploader. It just came up with about a million medical health videos about covid, which wasn't what I was looking for.

5. YouTube Kids. Even if a video isn't specifically a kid's thing, sometimes the uploader or some other dolt decides to categorise it as a kids video and then it pauses while I'm looking for another video (sometimes when looking for another video I still like the current video running). There doesn't seem to be a way of preventing this. The age restrictions isn't a problem any more as I risked my privacy sending YouTube a photo of my driver's license to prove I'm an adult, because so many of my favourite types of videos were being age restricted, like videos of fast rollercoasters and stuff. It was getting ridiculous.

6. Vlogs. I like mundane but vlogs are just TOO mundane sometimes. And they name the title something really interesting like "a flood in the supermarket" or something but the whole video consists of some American dad just talking about it in the car on the way home. What is it with these vloggers? Come back when you have something interesting we can actually watch.

7. A video filmed from a TV screen, or a song filmed from someone's phone at a live festival. Bad quality and ear rape!

I could go on.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 7:32 pm

Joe90 wrote:
When the uploader spends several minutes of the video yakking on about subscribing, liking, commenting, visiting other channels and so on, totally unaware of the fact that people will only subscribe if they want to, telling viewers to subscribe doesn't make them want to subscribe any more than not. Just get on with the damn video!

So overdone monotonous at this point.

Joe90 wrote:
Reactions. What is the point of there being a video with a little window in the corner of someone reacting to the content, going "agh, uhh, oh man, that ain't good, ah, ugh..."?

I get a kick out of Millennials and Gen Z'rs reacting to songs from the 60s to 80s that I know well but it is their first time hearing them. Despite all the "Ok Boomer" sentiment, I am always surprised by how much they love those songs. It is funny when they miss the complete context of the song, but much more then I expect they do get it.

Joe90 wrote:
Millions of medical videos that I can't filter out. I wanted to find an old video of a girl in hospital with covid that I watched at the beginning of the pandemic, but I can't remember what the title of the video was or the name of the uploader. It just came up with about a million medical health videos about covid, which wasn't what I was looking for.

I stick to reliable sources like hospitals and stuff. I use them to find out about medical conditions I or somebody I know has or is suspected to have.

Joe90 wrote:
Vlogs. I like mundane but vlogs are just TOO mundane sometimes. And they name the title something really interesting like "a flood in the supermarket" or something but the whole video consists of some American dad just talking about it in the car on the way home. What is it with these vloggers? Come back when you have something interesting we can actually watch.

I was really into vlogs by autistics about autism. They helped me a lot when I first got diagnosed. I have not watched them much lately.

Joe90 wrote:
A video filmed from a TV screen, or a song filmed from someone's phone at a live festival. Bad quality and ear rape!

Yep.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2022, 12:07 pm

DeepHour wrote:
The great thing about YouTube downloads I find is their compact size - I can download a 90 minute movie in decent quality, and it will be around 250-500 MB, whereas the same film ripped from a dvd in similar quality might be five times that size. I use 4K Downloader and Easy YouTube Video Downloader Express, by the way.

We must be watching different channels then, because I recently found a YouTuber I like who uploads his videos in 2160p... and they're f*****g MASSIVE as a result. I *wish* I wasn't on such a crappy connection, because I'd love to preserve his videos.

Sure, I could lower the quality on the downloads to 720p or something, but my OCD demands that I download the full quality even though I don't even own a display that can take advantage of it.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2022, 12:17 pm

I nearly always download at 360p, so maybe that largely explains it!

I find the quality of most of those downloads generally very satisfactory.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Feb 2022, 12:33 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

We must be watching different channels then, because I recently found a YouTuber I like who uploads his videos in 2160p... and they're f*****g MASSIVE as a result. I *wish* I wasn't on such a crappy connection, because I'd love to preserve his videos.

Sure, I could lower the quality on the downloads to 720p or something, but my OCD demands that I download the full quality even though I don't even own a display that can take advantage of it.

I've never seen anything higher than 1040 - what are his videos about?

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2022, 3:11 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

I've never seen anything higher than 1040 - what are his videos about?

Interestingly enough, the YouTuber I'm referring to is CathodeRayDude, a retro tech YouTuber. His videos are similar to what you might see from Technology Connections or TechMoan. Very interesting stuff if you're into that sort of thing.

DeepHour wrote:
I nearly always download at 360p, so maybe that largely explains it!
I find the quality of most of those downloads generally very satisfactory.

360p is a bit low for my liking haha. I try to download my videos in the highest quality possible, though I suppose if I had to pick a minimum quality, I'd go with 720p.