Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 5:48 am

The adults on this website should try to give very good advice to the younger members. We understand the struggles of youth and remember them well. We should share safe, good knowledge. For example, a young person expressed that they need work and love books. Best advice: work for a library or bookseller. This is what I mean. This was obvious to me but if I were in that person's shoes and was that young, it clearly would NOT be obvious - I always needed somebody to tell me. People used to be surprised that I just didn't "get it" even though certain solutions to problems were as plain as the nose on my face. There's no shame in not knowing things and needing to be told. A lot of people would say, "You should know that by now!" You see - some just HAD to add insult to injury. So, I started to take advice and shut out the latter phrase,"You should know that by now." I didn't know it, "So sue me." "Better late than never."
There's no need to be shamed or to shame someone for "not knowing something by now." That's just an expression of the anger of their impatience. PATIENCE is a virtue. :heart:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 9:11 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
The adults on this website should try to give very good advice to the younger members...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one! That made my day! Now tell me another!

“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 9:23 am

RightGalaxy,

You are correct. I don't like that expression. It is embarrassing to me that I don't know certain things at my age. No, I don't know, and don't pretend to know everything I should know at my age, but I'm willing to learn. That is the attitude that has helped me grow leaps and bounds over the past five years, when I made my emergence into the adult world. I am clearly not stupid, but I have a long way to go in terms of life experience.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 9:24 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
For example, a young person expressed that they need work and love books. Best advice: work for a library or bookseller.
I wouldn't think to tell someone that because those jobs are hard to find & get & don't pay much. Working in the library or bookstore might could potentially be the ideal job for that person if they're OK with a job not paying much & are OK with some social interaction but I would NOT tell that person to put all his/her eggs in one basket & hold out for that job. If you need work you have to take the jobs that are available that you can get instead of holding out for your ideal/preferred job.

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 9:28 am

I was very fortunate to find work in a library. I'm not in a high position, but I have been working there for nearly seventeen years and my responsibilities have expanded greatly. I hope to have a full-time job someday.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 6:30 pm

Tony Atwood on Aspie elders

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 9:21 am

That's a great reminder of what this very site does and should continue to achieve. There's good information to be found here. Not everyone will always pay attention to it, but it's here, patiently waiting for us.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 9:27 am

I also think that we should give the younger members good advice as well.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 9:35 am

I have a love/hate relationship with advice. Unsolicited advice can be really annoying because it’s usually given by someone who doesn’t fully know or understand the other person’s situation or personal values.

People like to give new parents and pregnant women lots of advice and most of it is not appropriate or applicable.

Some advice has been good, though. One just has to learn to sift through advice, look for supporting evidence, weigh the pros and cons, and not be afraid to discard the majority of it.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2019, 4:58 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I have a love/hate relationship with advice. Unsolicited advice can be really annoying because it’s usually given by someone who doesn’t fully know or understand the other person’s situation or personal values.

People like to give new parents and pregnant women lots of advice and most of it is not appropriate or applicable.

Some advice has been good, though. One just has to learn to sift through advice, look for supporting evidence, weigh the pros and cons, and not be afraid to discard the majority of it.

Unsolicited advice bothers me too, but I'm trying to get better at listening anyway. Advice is best evaluated after it's received, not before. If it's constantly flying in as a mask for criticism/mockery that's another story.