Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 8:33 am

Can I take my teddy bear on a plane? I mean in my bag that I will be taking on to the passenger bit with me. He isn't very big. But because he's tattered he has a couple of holes in him, and I'm worried he might be seen as a thing to smuggle drugs into when he goes through the customs (you know, the x-ray machine thing).

He's a comfort item to me and I always like to bring him if I'm going to be staying somewhere overnight or longer.

He's got no metal on him. His one eye is plastic. It's just airports are so strict with what one can take and I'm scared I might be accused of being a terrorist or smuggling drugs.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 8:43 am

I understand your fear. It's a realistic one. I feel the same at the airport. So much so I would never go to scary countries such as the USA and most non-western countries.

My coworker had a horrible experience in the USA. The airport security staff tried to tear apart the shoes of his son (small child) "just to be safe".

In your case, wouldn't that machine easily prove that your teddy is nothing but a teddy?

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 8:45 am

I think you should be ok. I don't do planes (phobia of flying) so haven't any experience firsthand.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Sep 2022, 8:49 am

I think it should be okay - if my duct taped laptop went through the control in Israel, your teddy bear should also be fine.
They have dogs and x-rays to detect drugs and other things like that, clearing your teddy from all suspition wouldn't be hard.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 9:19 am

I've flown with teddies several times.
Keep him in your carry-on so he doesn't get lost.

They'll x-ray him but they x-ray everything.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 9:20 am

WE...the citizens of WP...are not going to "judge" you in any negative way...for either wanting a comfort bear on a plane trip, or for being afraid that the Man will...confisicate, or even disembowel your comfort bear (maybe right in front of you). :lol:

Airports have been a brutal place since 9-11.

But having said that...I admit that I dont know what you can do about it.

I guess what Isabella said above is good advice. Trouble is then Teddy wont be available ...to sit on your knee in flight to do his comforting thing. Oh well. :cry:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Sep 2022, 9:29 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I guess what Isabella said above is good advice. Trouble is then Teddy wont be available ...to sit on your knee in flight to do his comforting thing. Oh well. :cry:

I think Isabella was suggesting putting the teddy in the cabin luggage. And it makes sense. It would be available during the flight but not draw any attention during the checks.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 9:35 am

The teddy bear will obviously stay in my carry-on bag. But knowing I will be sleeping with him each night in the hotel makes me feel at ease. I just love my teddy bear, I've had him since I was 8 or 9 months old and he's always been there for me. I had lots of other teddy bears which I loved but this particular bear has always been the "closest" to me.
At least my boyfriend doesn't mind having to share me with my teddy bear. :lol: He likes me being attached to a teddy bear because he feels it symbolises my innocence and loyalty, unlike his ex-wife who seemed the heartless type.

I have Googled taking a teddy bear on to a plane but it didn't say much except if the teddy is big. But my bear isn't big. He's small enough to fit in my carry-on bag among the other items in there.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 10:04 am

"he's tattered he has a couple of holes in him"

Is he healthy enough for the trip? You would feel terrible if the trip damaged him seriously.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 10:10 am

Double Retired wrote:
"he's tattered he has a couple of holes in him"

Is he healthy enough for the trip? You would feel terrible if the trip damaged him seriously.

He's tattered and has a couple of holes in him but he's a strong bear. He's soft and squashy, not hard like the old-fashioned teddy bears, so he survives being a bit squashed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 10:11 am

I can't see any reason why you can't take your teddy bear.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Sep 2022, 10:12 am

Joe90 wrote:
I have Googled taking a teddy bear on to a plane but it didn't say much except if the teddy is big. But my bear isn't big. He's small enough to fit in my carry-on bag among the other items in there.

Then it should go smoothly. Airport staff really have more serious things to do than wondering about passengers' personal items.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 10:15 am

This would be the ultimate in stupid comedy-----some airport security person getting upset over a teddy bear.....

Actually....originally, I thought you were talking about your boyfriend being a big "teddy bear" type :P

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 10:20 am

People carry those neck pillows all the time so I think it will be fine.
When I took the train to the west coast I had a stuffed dinosaur with me on the way home .He made a great pillow for my head.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 10:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
This would be the ultimate in stupid comedy-----some airport security person getting upset over a teddy bear.....

Actually....originally, I thought you were talking about your boyfriend being a big "teddy bear" type :P

That made me laugh. I could just imagine 10 security guards surrounding a teddy bear and running a metal detector over it. :lol:

I would send you a picture of my beloved bear but I don't know how to send pictures from my phone on WP.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 11:01 am

I flew from Vegas to LA with a teddy bear picnic on my lap.
I think there were at least 3 full sized teddy bears.

That was post-9/11 and they got x-rayed but it wasn't a problem.
Lots of kids (or wonderful autistic adults) travel with plushies from theme parks, etc.

What's his name, btw?